Angler's Cove Fly Shop in NY

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

MadRiverTrout
Sport

Angler's Cove Fly Shop in NY

Post by MadRiverTrout »

In the last few years, I have run across a handful of fly rods that were made for the Angler's Cove fly shop in New York. Does anyone know the specific years the Angler's Cove was in business? I found an article in Sports Illustrated from 1961 that mentions the Cove was in business in 1956, but I would appreciate knowing its exact years of operation.

Thank you,

Jamie

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Re: Angler's Cove Fly Shop in NY

Post by Trout120-1 »

Anglers Cove ???? That was my "home" fly shop in Northern NJ in Pine Brook. Run by Carol and Stan Molinsky. If we're talking about the same place they were in Pine Brook for a number of years. Big Cortland shop. They then decided to move out of the area to New York state near the upper Delaware. I know Stan made some graphite rods with their name on them. Never saw any bamboo with the name. Pretty sure he had some Partridge blanks. Even a few vintage rods. I really don't know what happened to them after that move.

MadRiverTrout
Sport

Post by MadRiverTrout »

Thanks for the reply Trout120-1. I believe that you are referring to a different shop, unless the NY shop moved to NJ at some point. I would like to find out information about the shop referred to in the following Sports Illustrated article from 1961: https://www.si.com/vault/1961/05/29/581 ... ty-setting

Bob Zwirz was the owner of the NY shop for a while and I have seen references to Bob Zwirz Favorite "Resinized" bamboo rods. I am curious as to who made these rods and I am wondering whether they may have been produced by Miney Hull. Also, I know of 4 George Halstead rods that were marked "Angler's Cove" on the rods themselves and on the tube caps -- two 7' rods and two 8'9" rods. I am curious as to when Halstead made these rods.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

You're right. It was a different shop. I hadn't heard that name in 40 years !!
Paul

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

You might look at older magazines such as Fly Fisherman. I have a 1980 and 1979 neither of which mention AC but they do have ads for many shops that are no longer around so looking for ads in fly fishing mags from the 60's may provide the information you seek. Let us know what you find.

MadRiverTrout
Sport

Post by MadRiverTrout »

Thanks for the reply, Crowebeetle. I know the shop was around as early as 1956 (based on the Sports Illustrated article I referenced above) but Fly Fisherman magazine wasn't around back that far. I have gone through a handful of other outdoors magazines, such as Field and Stream, but I haven't run across anything yet.

Best,

Jamie

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Several university libraries have extensive fly fishing collections. Penn State does and I believe Montana does as well. If you are not nearby, interlibrary loan may help.

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

That is a name from the past. I just dug out an old small ,about 1 1/2" X 2", plastic fly box with the Anglers Cove logo sticker on it. The logo is a red bodied wet fly with yellow wings and the letters A and C. I got the box round 1976 when I bought a few flies from them. They were in NJ at that time.

Ron Larsen
Guide

Post by Ron Larsen »

Try:

https://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

do a boolean search on "Anglers Cove" ... there are quite a few articles about the shop.

Ron
Ron Larsen

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

I looked through my '70 and '71 Fly Fisherman mags last night - didn't see any references. I'll look at some more tonight.
Mike B

MadRiverTrout
Sport

Post by MadRiverTrout »

Thank you for the great feedback and ideas, all.

Ron: That search is awesome!

Jamie

DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

Angler's Cove from Pine Brook, NJ was my dad's store. He was in business there from the late 50's until 1979. In April 1979 we moved to Hancock, NY, near the Delaware river.

If anyone remembers the store, and you remember a goofy girl running around, it was me!

Dad made some pretty nice rods. He even taught me and I made myself 2 matching bamboo ones. I think they were 6'6" that I used for casting (together).

I spent my life growing up in the store and have so many memories.

Donna

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

DonnaC wrote:
10/14/20 23:27
Angler's Cove from Pine Brook, NJ was my dad's store. He was in business there from the late 50's until 1979. In April 1979 we moved to Hancock, NY, near the Delaware river.

If anyone remembers the store, and you remember a goofy girl running around, it was me!

Dad made some pretty nice rods. He even taught me and I made myself 2 matching bamboo ones. I think they were 6'6" that I used for casting (together).

I spent my life growing up in the store and have so many memories.

Donna
Interesting read Donna. I live one town over from Pine Brook, I'm to young to have visited your old store.
What was Hancock like when you moved there. I'm up that way throughout the year fishing the upper Delaware system.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

It was quitea shock compared to northern NJ. Small town, like Mayberry. Once tourism ramped up in the late 80's, it grew. It's nice to go back to visit (my son lives there).

I worked for a fly shop for a short time in 1996-97 on the West Branch. Do you know of Jim Costolnick, "Coz"? He was a guide there who was a good friend.

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

Donna
Many of us here envy your unique childhood experience.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

DonnaC wrote:
10/15/20 18:32
It was quitea shock compared to northern NJ. Small town, like Mayberry. Once tourism ramped up in the late 80's, it grew. It's nice to go back to visit (my son lives there).

I worked for a fly shop for a short time in 1996-97 on the West Branch. Do you know of Jim Costolnick, "Coz"? He was a guide there who was a good friend.
Don't know Jim, although I have heard the name. I believe he still guides up there.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Flyfishingtrout

Post by Flyfishingtrout »

Regarding Anglers Cove. My name is Lou, I worked for Stan and Carol in their Pinebrook store tying flies and running the store if they went away for the day or weekend.In think the late 70s they moved to Cadosia,NY .Stan passed away shortly after and I believe carol eventually sold the shop.I fished with Stan and Carol with Ed Koch and Charlie Fox. Great times.
Hope this history helps.
Tight lines
M
Nd

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”