It is currently 04/01/20 19:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: 02/09/20 09:01 • # 1 
Bamboo Fanatic

The American Fly Fishing Experience: Theodore Gordon: His Lost Flies and Last Sentiments
by John Gubbins Oct 2019 on amazon
I haven't read it yet, it is enroute from amazon, but it was listed as a novel. The ads imply it fills in some of the blank spots in our knowledge about Gordon, but hard to say how much is creative non-fiction and how much is new information. FYI. Anyone read it yet?

PostPosted: 02/10/20 10:32 • # 2 
Master Guide

Not to be misanthropic, but after reading his letters and previous bios, who would want to know more about this poor soul?

PostPosted: 02/10/20 12:11 • # 3 
Guide

First I have heard of it but I am curious too. I though McDonald had unearthed about all of the information available back in the 40's. By all means let us know what you think after you read it.

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

PostPosted: 02/13/20 20:57 • # 4 
Master Guide

I'm afraid of this one already and as you know Creaky I like you love fishing books. How can you possibly get new information on Theodore Gordon's life at this point. The premise in itself sounds ridiculous.

Bohemian Bob

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:05 • # 5 
Bamboo Fanatic

I have not read Mr. Gubbins book but can advise that some of the earlier information in print about Gordon is incorrect and some details of his life and background were not reported.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 09:48 • # 6 
Bamboo Fanatic

It was a revelation to me to hear that the Grand Canyon didn't change by constant erosion in trickling increments, but rather in bigger chunks as a result of gully washers. I think there's a parallel to that in research today.
Generally speaking, the history of American fishing is pretty low in attraction to younger generations than my own and that's both good and bad. It's bad because the repositories for a lot of it are overlooked when people die. That's why I see it end up in estate auctions and flea markets where I try to find more pieces to fit into the history puzzle. The upside today is that sometimes very critical information collected by those who have gone before is donated to libraries, universities, and historical societies, and sometimes gets preserved in digital format. The Daniel Fearing collection, for example, was amassed by a man with endless curiosity about fishing, particularly for cold water species. Little by little it has been finding its way onto the internet. That's ongoing worldwide constantly. The only limiting factor is how much manpower is available at any given time to do the grunt work of scanning. Manpower equates dollars. Yale has deep pockets, your local historical society not so much.
So, just as the canyons erode in chunks, information can come online in the same fashion. And crazy people, cwfly and myself being typical, are like pigs in a wallow when a source of new information comes online. It's now to the point where new books about fishing history are rarely current for more than a matter of months. It was once years. All it takes is a curious mind, the time to explore, and a foot in the door of some newly revealed information. Now you can go more often to primary sources instead of citing other 20th century fishing books. Charlie knows more information about Gordon than most people. He's peeled back some of the layers and that's why we keep nudging him to write.
Whether Mr. Gubbins has availed himself of all the same sources that Charlie has remains to be seen. Rest assured that what we have read about Theodore Gordon up to this point is not the whole story.
And that goes for everything.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 13:46 • # 7 
Bamboo Fanatic

Hi Guys, Theodore Gordon is one of the most interesting of our anglers. Why wouldn't we want more evidence? Why wouldn't we want more testimony?

Jay Edwards

PostPosted: 02/22/20 18:13 • # 8 
Master Guide

Believe me if there is one tidbit of new information on Gordon I am sure I will buy the book. He appeared be a dark brooding character. My kinda guy. All those pro fly tiers are nuts.

Bohemian Bob

PostPosted: 02/23/20 05:57 • # 9 
Bamboo Fanatic

Good thing I stopped after my first order :)
Made something fun into work. Wasn't my cup of tea.

bob2935 wrote:
My kinda guy. All those pro fly tiers are nuts.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply