Orvis rod building practices

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Orvis rod building practices

Post by Mister Bill »

I recently acquired an Orvis 7 1/2' Wes Jordan model built in 1977 by Ron White, according to Orvis e-mail. The rod shows only slight signs of use.

Everything looks in order and I am pleased except the fact that the butt section is fairly dark cane, one tip is ever so slightly lighter, and the other tip is slightly lighter yet and definitely a different shade when compared to the butt section.

My question is whether this is a typical rod build by Orvis, or could it be a sign that one tip is a replacement? Or, it could have been a second tip added to a one tip build.

Either way, does it matter for disclosure if I was to re-sell? Would Orvis acknowledge a repair if I inquired?

Thanks, Bill

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis rod building practices

Post by Greg Reynolds »

It's not unusual and I don't believe it's a reason by itself for concern. Unlike custom and low production builders, Orvis built rod blanks in lots and there were color variations among the sections.

I have a original-condition 1974 Superfine that has 1 tip that's significantly lighter than the other and the butt section. The wraps match and the hand that wrote the serial numbers & inscriptions is the same. I have other Orvis rods with sections that aren't quite perfect color matches too.

Orvis doesn't keep records of bamboo rod repairs.

I probably wouldn't bother to disclose it--it's not a flaw.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

This is tongue in cheek and a bit off the OP's topic:

Orvis did keep track of repairs at least in the 1882 - 1898 time period, documenting a repair to a "whip" and two "parasols" in August 1894!

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

IMO, not a problem, they did build in batches and I have owned 2 rods that had sections of a different shade. Also bought one from the factory that had the wrong butt to tip section matched and was replaced with a letter from the Mr. Perkins.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

All three Orvis Battenkills I have owned showed perfect color matches. The latest one, made in 1975, is also perfectly color matched between sections.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

wb4tjh wrote:All three Orvis Battenkills I have owned showed perfect color matches. The latest one, made in 1975, is also perfectly color matched between sections.
The vast majority are...

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Wouldn't most of those rods be included in the "Madison" category ?

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

When you raised your concerns with the previous owner, surely not Orvis, what was his response?

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

The previous owner (name stamped on butt cap) is deceased, and his son sold the rod to Bob Selb. I asked, and they both believed that the rod is authentic as is. It also shows little sign of use. The lighter tip has never been honed to fit the female. The rod numbers seem to be written by the same hand.

I thought it was a good find.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Another interesting fact is my first two Battenkills were in lightly used condition, but still the varnish was cracked where the metal ferrule meets the bamboo, which is no big deal. But my latest Battenkill show NO such cracks, so I assume it has almost NO use.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”