It is currently 06/04/20 15:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: 02/12/20 08:30 • # 1 
Bamboo Fanatic

Looking for giant salmonfly nymph pattern suggestions for out West on the Madison and other West Yellowstone rivers.

So far I have only found one pattern online I like and it is a Bob Jacklin's salmonfly nymph pattern tied with old rubber bike tire liners.

Thanks,

JohnS

http://www.WiFlyFisher.com

PostPosted: 02/12/20 13:52 • # 2 
Bamboo Fanatic

Hi Guys, Here are a couple:

http://www.flyfishingthesierra.com/birdstone.htm

https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopag ... orge-Grant

Jay Edwards

PostPosted: 02/13/20 08:02 • # 3 
Guide

How's this

PostPosted: 02/13/20 10:41 • # 4 
Guide

Lots of patterns to choose from, some look like they will crawl outta the fly box! I tend to make em simple. You will loose em on the bottom and in the submerged willow clumps. Make sure to have a good supply of golden stones also. Good luck.dborjas

PostPosted: 02/13/20 14:21 • # 5 
Bamboo Fanatic

Tom, that doesn't look like a pattern you would ever tie.

dborjas, I prefer simple as well. Thank you.

JohnS

PostPosted: 02/13/20 14:34 • # 6 
Sport

I find that the Superior X-legs I use on for steelhead on the Brule, works darn good out West too.

PostPosted: 02/13/20 14:44 • # 7 
Bamboo Fanatic

driftless angler wrote:
I find that the Superior X-legs I use on for steelhead on the Brule, works darn good out West too.

Great idea! I have a box full of Superior X-legs in different sizes. I have had great success with that pattern in the early season when the water temps are in the low 40's. Although, I don't have them in giant salmonfly size.

JohnS

PostPosted: 02/13/20 15:34 • # 8 
Master Guide

PostPosted: 02/15/20 09:23 • # 9 
Bamboo Fanatic

Norm, that is way too much work for me.

I decided to try the virtual nymph skin and prismacolor pen. I have had great success with this material for caddis larva patterns.

I like the look of the abdomen but I feel the wingcase is a pita.

JohnS

PostPosted: 02/15/20 13:54 • # 10 
Bamboo Fanatic

Hi Guys, Since the nymphs would be 'Rollin and a Tumblin' a Charles Brook's tied in the round?

https://www.google.com/search?q=charles ... 8CfU9yoXSM

Jay Edwards

Last edited by bluesjay on 02/17/20 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 15:25 • # 11 
Bamboo Fanatic

bluesjay wrote:
Hi Guys, Since the nymphs would be 'Rollin and a Tumblin' A Charles Brook's tied in the round?

https://www.google.com/search?q=charles ... 8CfU9yoXSM

Jay Edwards

Eric Peper ties a black stonefly nymph very similar to Brook's stonefly nymph pattern. I just finished tying a couple very similar to those stonefly patterns using Bill Bailey's pig's wool in black. Bill's pig's wool spins nicely into a yarn. I really like it because it is fast to tie and has the right shape and silhouette. I need to ask Bill for some more black pig's wool.

JohnS

PostPosted: 02/15/20 15:27 • # 12 
Master Guide

PostPosted: 02/15/20 17:20 • # 13 
Bamboo Fanatic

Some gorgeous and lifelike flies for sure. I would bet, however that 90+% of fish caught on salmonfly nymphs are caught on a simple Black Rubber Legs - nothing but black chenille and black rubber legs. It's definitely the standby fly for guides ID & MT. Fish aren't as discerning as we are.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 18:06 • # 14 
Bamboo Fanatic

Norm, I like that!!

16pmd wrote:
Some gorgeous and lifelike flies for sure. I would bet, however that 90+% of fish caught on salmonfly nymphs are caught on a simple Black Rubber Legs - nothing but black chenille and black rubber legs. It's definitely the standby fly for guides ID & MT. Fish aren't as discerning as we are.

Thank you, i was wondering what the guides use. That sounds a lot like Pat's Rubber Leg or the Girdle Bug. Jim Slattery gave me a couple a few years ago and I lost them both right below Hebgen. Popped 3x, I never saw the trout!

I have to force myself to even tie these big nymphs, it is not my preferred way to fish. Although, I know in the Spring it is on the trout's main menu. I will probably trail my favorite green caddis larva behind the stonefly nymph.

JohnS

PostPosted: 02/15/20 21:35 • # 15 
Master Guide

The first rubber leg stone fly nymphs in this genre were tied with the rubber from a women’s’ girdle hence the name.

And before you say its a "Pats Rubber Leg"

Notes: Pat's Rubberlegs is also known as Jimmy Legs, Knotty Girls, Restless Stone, The Turd, and The Pickle. "Pat" has been suggested to be a guide, Pat Bennett, that works out of the Hyde shop in Island Park, Idaho but this may be a ruse. Jimmy Legs is a variation from Idylwild Flies in which the legs are pre-knotted and tied on a bent hook, such as a Daiichi 1730. Knotty Girls also have knotted legs but they are usually round rubber material. Restless Stone is another name as marketed by Umpqua. Whatever the name, the pattern works quite well and has become a favorite among guides. The pattern is a variation off an older pattern known as the Girdle Bug. This pattern was developed in the 1930's by Frank McGinnis of Anaconda, MT. He developed this pattern while fishing the Big Hole River. Originally, round rubberlegs was used but a spandex rubber material such as Super Floss, Flex Floss, Life Flex, and Spanflex has become preferred over round rubberlegs. It is much more durable and transparent than rubberleg material and very supple with lifelike movement in the water. Mickey Wooton, a guide out of West Yellowstone, came up with a nice variation of trimming the chenille at the abdomen for a flattened taper and replaced the antennae and tails with Krystalflash and Goose Biots, respectively. Fish Pat's Rubberlegs in the riffles and runs of fast moving water. It also makes a great pattern for short line nymphing. The weight of the pattern allows it to quickly sink into deeps slots and pools. Great with a Beadhead dropper such as a Prince Nymph or Hare's Ear.

Last edited by Norm Frechette on 02/17/20 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 07:34 • # 16 
Bamboo Fanatic

girdle bug or halfback and add in a burnt orange belly this has been a stand by for the Giant black stones in the Gunny gorge for decades and is a go-to pattern all across the west. as is the halfback which was developed for the North Platte below gray reef. It too is deadly across the west.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 09:12 • # 17 
Bamboo Fanatic

Gnome wrote:
girdle bug or halfback and add in a burnt orange belly this has been a stand by for the Giant black stones in the Gunny gorge for decades and is a go-to pattern all across the west. as is the halfback which was developed for the North Platte below gray reef. It too is deadly across the west.

So how do you tie it with a burnt orange belly and black on top? Do you weave it?

I got up early and I decided to add a hot spot to my stonefly nymph pattern.

Until now, I never put any thought in all the various stonefly nymph patterns.

JohnS

PostPosted: 02/17/20 06:57 • # 18 
Master Guide

i tied in the black chenille on top of the hook and the yellow chenille on the bottom of the hook

wrap the black chenille forward to create the abdomen. tie off

then pull the yellow chenille forward under the abdomen and tie off

wrap the ribbing forward and tie off

finish the rest of the fly

Last edited by Norm Frechette on 02/17/20 07:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 07:04 • # 19 
Master Guide

montans stoneflies

PostPosted: 02/17/20 08:01 • # 20 
Bamboo Fanatic

WiFlyFisher wrote:
Gnome wrote:

So how do you tie it with a burnt orange belly and black on top? Do you weave it?

I got up early and I decided to add a hot spot to my stonefly nymph pattern.

Until now, I never put any thought in all the various stonefly nymph patterns.

Either like Norm suggested or use a Potts weave for the "Burnt" orange belly, simple ties and tie lots because if you are not ticking the bottom with every second cast and losing flies fairly regularly you are not where the fish are!!!! And do NOT use any tippet smaller than 3X!!!!!!~tie them in size# 2-8 if you where coming to the gunny and it turns into one of those rare years when we have as many as 7 different adults on the water at the same time here on the lower gunny you need to have a serious stonefly box with big blacks 2-8 and goldens 4-10 and browns 2-8 and 2 sizes of olives 10 and 16 and at least 2 sizes of yellow sallys 16-18,

When this happens it is shear magic and also can be utter frustration ;) ;)

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply