Michigan's U.P.

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

magpie
Guide

Re: Michigan's U.P.

Post by magpie »

There is no P like the U.P.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Bamboo River wrote:It's the Landmark Inn now. http://www.thelandmarkinn.com/

It opened in 1930 as the Northland Hotel. Visitors have been Jimmy Stewart, Abbott and Castello, and Amelia Earhart in 1932. It closed in 1982 and after a historic restoration, reopened in 1997 as The Landmark Inn. Since it's reopening, the Rolling Stones have stayed there. I'm sure there were a lot of others.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I lived in Marquette for five years from 1979 to 1984 and also attended Northern. I made some very dear friends there. Miss it bad, often, especially the winters and cross country skiing. Oh, yeah, the fishing is about tops in the lower 50 and still nobody knows about it.

I got totally immersed in the UP culture of fishing and hunting. My friend had a camp near Lake Gogebic and was a great retreat. He was the ski coach for many years at Northern and then became a high school teacher. I think he's retired now though. Wonderful people, wonderful place.

PAGene
Sport

Post by PAGene »

I will remember always are the northern lights while driving from Munising to Marquette, coming home from a trip to Sault Ste. Marie. Looking north while driving on 28 late of a Saturday night early Sunday morning, we must have stopped about 25 time just to get out of the car and gaze and the beautiful site.
Gene

Big Pine

Post by Big Pine »

I grew up in Eagle River, Wisconsin, and spent much of my free time during high school driving around the western UP, fishing all of those rocky Lake Superior streams. When I went to college I decided to go to Northland, so I wouldn’t be too far from those places.

I’m a young guy, especially on this board, but that feels like a lifetime ago now. Hopefully this summer I can sneak over the Mighty Mac and tour some of my old stomping grounds.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I grew up on a northern WI brook trout stream and I credit (blame) John Voelker and his Anatomy of a Fisherman in the mid-70s for getting me addicted to fly fishing. I've collected everything Voelker/Traver wrote, I've fly fished much of WI, northeastern MN and the western UP but have not made it to his hallowed waters. My son was a nationally ranked junior Nordic skier, so we've spent an inordinate amount of time in Houghton, Calumet, Ironwood, Porcupine Mtns, etc. the past 7 years (not to mention my own winters of skiing up there back in the day) and he's now enrolled in the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse City, so I continue driving through the UP with fly rods in the back and a MI Gazetteer atlas sitting on the front seat. It's a beautiful part of the world and wish I could break away from MN's North Shore so I can spend more time exploring its eastern counterpart.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

There is still a lot of the UP off the radar. If you hang near Marquette and the like it has become developed. There is a lot of property owned by logging/timber and mining companies that is public accessible, along with the national and state forest lands. You can still get lost if you want. Although the glut of winter and summer off road "recreational" vehicles pose more issues of destroying the wild peace than the resource extraction companies, who employ the hard working residents.

If you have the legs, a compass and the smarts, there are still some nice Brook Trout to be had.

Eating a Paul Young, no place to set the rod down.

And

Just a few from one day, all released.

Carl

P.S.: The big net was because we sometimes could be into a Lake Trout, Salmon or Pike of size.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

carl otto wrote:There is still a lot of the UP off the radar. If you hang near Marquette and the like it has become developed. There is a lot of property owned by logging/timber and mining companies that is public accessible, along with the national and state forest lands. You can still get lost if you want. Although the glut of winter and summer off road "recreational" vehicles pose more issues of destroying the wild peace than the resource extraction companies, who employ the hard working residents.

If you have the legs, a compass and the smarts, there are still some nice Brook Trout to be had.

Eating a Paul Young, no place to set the rod down.

And

Just a few from one day, all released.

Carl

P.S.: The big net was because we sometimes could be into a Lake Trout, Salmon or Pike of size.

Some nice U.P. fish

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

Betcha $5 those ain't UP brookies.

BackTheBrookie

Post by BackTheBrookie »

magpie wrote:Betcha $5 those ain't UP brookies.
We catch some brookies like that every year in northern WI. If they're here, they're surely in the U.P.

BP Green
Guide

Post by BP Green »

I moved to Sault Ste. Marie from Maine in 2008 and left there in 2016 to retire down here. The western end of the UP is definitely the better half when it comes to fly fishing, but the Saint Mary’s Rapids on the Canadian side right under the international bridge is probably the best kept salmon and steelhead secret in the lower 48. . .
Trout don't live in ugly places...

Return to “Members Corner”