World Fairs/Exposition discussion

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: World Fairs/Exposition discussion

Post by roycestearns »

Official catalogue of the World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial shows zero information on any fishing rods, reels, or accessories. There was a piscatorial class listed, however the class doesn't exist in the detail of the catalog. A couple of the states represented mention fish as a product but very little else.

Surprised it happened at all:
"However, the planning and construction of the fair was marked by corruption and scandals, and state treasurer Edward A. Burke absconded abroad with some $ 1,777,000 dollars of state money including most of the fair's budget." Stall, Gasper J. "Buddy" (1988). Proud, Peculiar New Orleans: the Inside Story. Baton Rouge, LA

Sidemount Fan
Sport

Post by Sidemount Fan »

roycestearns wrote:
03/18/20 22:15
Oh that's good. Gerrish canoes or a Leonard like rod? Trumbull and Goodridge ! Have we ever seen a Reuben Woods rod?
Royce - now you can say you have! It came in a wood form case with leather caps. Recent addition. Missing a few guides, but it will fill out my little RWS collection.

Jim

Image<br>

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Jim, Spectacular rod!! What's the script say in total?

I thought Fred Mather included Reuben Wood in his "Angling Friends", but apparently not.

Reuben chased brook trout all over upstate NY and into Canada and was quite the caster, so wonder what he designed into this rod. Reuben died in 1884 so this would be an early rod. His son George carried on his tackle business.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

roycestearns wrote:
05/27/20 11:22

Surprised it happened at all:
"However, the planning and construction of the fair was marked by corruption and scandals, and state treasurer Edward A. Burke absconded abroad with some $ 1,777,000 dollars of state money including most of the fair's budget." Stall, Gasper J. "Buddy" (1988). Proud, Peculiar New Orleans: the Inside Story. Baton Rouge, LA
The political scene in that part of the world was rather.... oh.... 'colorful' in those days and some politicians were more colorful than others. Burke was right at the top of the list of corrupt, unqualified, inept officeholders. The more you read about him, the more you end up shaking your head.

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”