First gun you purchased

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Marterius
Master Guide

Re: First gun you purchased

Post by Marterius »

RMorrison wrote:Mosse hunting with dogs? How does that work? I’d think the mosse would just run away. Can’t tree a moose like you can a bear or cougar.
In Scandinavia, it is very common to use dogs, almost every hunt does. I quote from Wikipedia:
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Elkhound
The AKC breed name "Norwegian Elkhound" is a direct translation from its original Norwegian name Norsk elghund, meaning "Norwegian moose dog." The breed's object in the hunt is to independently track down and hold the moose at bay—jumping in and out toward the moose, distracting its attention, while signaling to the hunters by barking very loudly—until the hunter who follows the sound can arrive to shoot it. The dog will only bark while the moose is stationary, but it can also slowly drive the moose towards shooters lying in wait. The Norwegian Elkhound is also used on a leash. In this mode of hunting, the dog leads the hunter in the direction of the moose while keeping quiet.
The Norwegian Elkhound and the Swedish breed "Jämthund" are the most common breeds but there are also other spitz-type breeds specialized on this kind of hunting such as "Helleforshund".

Here is a very good film showing the practice. I think it will give you the idea though the speaking voice us Swedish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpA1vk8NEps

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

The first moose he shoot is a calf, and then he spares the cow. He hides the calf with branches to protect it from eagles and ravens until it eventually can be transported out. The dog pulls hair from the dead moose, that is a very typical behaviour.
Last edited by Marterius on 03/26/20 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

here's the american south version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3pgxIM4H0

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

1863 Sharps Carbine converted to 50.70 centerfire, which many of them were and put back into service.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

OK, a 50-70 as a first is pretty cool.
My first was a Lakefield .22 with clip magazine. Horrible trigger pull, but I still have it and many a can has been properly ventilated over the years.
I got on track with the second one- an 1886 Winchester in 45-70 with ladder sight that was a hoot to hit steel plates at 200 yards with. I sold that one when I got its twin at a gun show, with a crisp bore. The first three shots with factory 405 grain loads made a cloverleaf at 100 yards and made that one a keeper.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

jim royston wrote:1863 Sharps Carbine converted to 50.70 centerfire, which many of them were and put back into service.
Jim, you got a picture of that 1863 Sharps?

Shrimpman, thats is a heck of an accurate 1886 Winchester, hopefully you still have it!

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

A Marlin 39A lever action .22 I was given at age twelve, not purchased. Sixty four years later I still use it regularly, mostly now to thin out the prairie dogs so they don’t chomp on the house and turn the meadow into a desert.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I have never bought one, never owned one, never saw a need for one.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Minnesota wrote:I have never bought one, never owned one, never saw a need for one.
Never wanted to be able to provide you own food for the family? A bow hunter perhaps?

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I thought this was a fly fishing forum. Fish are food.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

It is and the participants are eclectic and sometimes nostalgic. So other topics strike a chord and are discussed. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Randyflycaster
Master Guide

Post by Randyflycaster »

When I moved to Montana I enrolled in a handgun class. The instructor recommended I buy a Glock 19. I listened. Now, however, when I want to target shoot a 9mm I much prefer my CZ 85. (I shoot left-handed.)

When I first started shooting skeet I bought a left-hand Franchi semi auto. Later I bought a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III.

Randy

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

687 SP III is a very nice shotgun, it's my skeet weapon as well.

The CZ 85 is a nice and reliable handgun as well. I had a CZ95, which I regret getting rid off.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Some people just never get into hunting or shooting- it's not for them, and that's OK.

I don't like those who attack hunting arms as school-shooting tools. But I don't like fully-automatic or high-capacity weapons in the hands of anyone but military or police. I don't usually need more than one shot to take care of an animal, maybe two or if I miss even 3. Or 5 for less frequent reloading, but that's all!
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

Samsonboi,

+1

-Richard

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

A chilling subject to read of. Growing up in the UK during the 70's , there was zero concept of 'gun culture' - or buying our first 'gun' at all, even if we wanted to, which I for one, remain grateful. Now all these years later gun ownership , of any sort continues to leave me cold..

Malcolm

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Speaking for myself, it was traditional to go hunting not for sport as much as for the table. Then there was little "gun culture" few had the means to have an arsenal but it was more like you had 3 basic guns, a .22 for squirrels and other small game, a shotgun for birds and rabbits, and a deer gun, though with slugs a shotgun could suffice. They came out seasonally and spent the rest of the time in the gun cabinet or, more likely, the back of the closet. There, at least where, when, and the culture I was raised in, no desire for an arsenal. How and why that changed I know not.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Although I see no need or want to own a "military" style firearm, I respect the rights of others who do see a need or want. Keep in mind the second amendment is why we have the freedoms we enjoy in the USA.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

oddsnrods wrote:A chilling subject to read of. Growing up in the UK during the 70's , there was zero concept of 'gun culture' - or buying our first 'gun' at all, even if we wanted to, which I for one, remain grateful. Now all these years later gun ownership , of any sort continues to leave me cold..

Malcolm
I'm a confused by your response Malcolm. There's absolutely a gun culture in Britain.

Arguably, the best sporting arms in the world are made in England and always have been. There's plenty of bird shooting and roe & red deer stalking available in the UK too--it's a destination for American sportsman.

I do understand that British gun laws are restrictive and that UK field sports tend to be expensive.

A few of my favorite English websites:
https://www.theexplora.com/
https://www.hollandandholland.com/
https://www.purdey.com/guns-rifles
Last edited by Greg Reynolds on 04/16/20 17:29, edited 2 times in total.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/01/20 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”