Interesting softie.

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Interesting softie.

Post by thegubster »

Found on FB. I know zilch about the fly but thought I'd share as it just looked kool.

A tad different imho. Included is the little bit of description...

The Winter Brown as per John Pickard's manuscript of 1794..
I found this pattern in Robert Smith's great work The North Country Fly.

"Orange silk legged wi feather or neb of wood cock sholder.
Harled at head wi peacock"

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Interesting softie.

Post by samsonboi »

Nice. Looks like Upstate just posted the same post, maybe he was the Facebook OP, since he says he found it in the book and gives the same picture?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Yes it is an interesting pattern that imitates a hatching skittering stone fly as are found on many streams early in the season!. The pattern is probably much much older than 1794 . If you read about them the spirit of North Country flies and the fisherman,tatics and equipment are much the same as today's . They used imitative small flies,fine leaders and employed upstream tatics.

Tom.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I tied these a few years ago but me thinks I waxed the hot orange silk a little too much so that the silk looks almost like a red color.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Yes I only wax the silk if it is called for or if I am going to dub. I will wax the first inch of the thread so it will stay on the hook. My theory and a lot of people talk about it is that the silk changes color when wet. Waxed silk is pretty much water proof so unless dubbing I don't wax.

Tom

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

upstate wrote:Yes it is an interesting pattern that imitates a hatching skittering stone fly as are found on many streams early in the season!. The pattern is probably much much older than 1794 . If you read about them the spirit of North Country flies and the fisherman,tatics and equipment are much the same as today's . They used imitative small flies,fine leaders and employed upstream tatics.

Tom.

My apologies Tom, I totally missed your previous post.

Maybe that was you on FB, dunno there as I can't find it now. Neat softie.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”