Polishing Varnish

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

blackdog
Guide

Polishing Varnish

Post by blackdog »

I’ve tried searching the site for info but haven’t found much. Can you guys help me with info on how to polish varnish with some alligatoring? I’d like to polish and wipe on some varnish for this Folsom/Heddon 7’ featherweight I just received. It’s in good shape but could use some touching up. Thank you for your help!

tapermaker
Master Guide

Re: Polishing Varnish

Post by tapermaker »

Heddon varnish is not worth saving . An overcoat even after a polish will look great for a few months then alligator over the whole rod . Heddon varnish does not mix well with any new product. If your intent is to keep original as possible ,be sure to remove the offended area of old varnish down to the blank and refinish only these areas. I think i would pay more for a well done revarnished heddon than an original heddon w/ old varnish.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

Thank you sir, that is helpful. I didn’t know that about the varnish Heddon used. I appreciate it!

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Search “Heddon varnish” and you’ll probably find hundreds of threads. Search “Heddon ferrules” and you’ll find hundreds more. Taper maker is right, there has not been much luck with renewing Heddon varnish, especially if it’s even slightly soft. Unless Mr. Sinclair may want to divulge some secrets....

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

Thanks Webfly, I appreciate the help. Glad I didn’t try this on my own.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I've used a pocket knife with a clip blade to, as accurately as possible, scrape all the varnish off up to the wraps, and then use the Q-tip/alcohol method on the wraps and lettering.

Jay Edwards

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

You can polish it with a liquid polishing compound like Meguires. Just go slowly because you will be softening and removing varnish. Each rod is different and some are not salvageable, but if this were my rod I would lightly polish it with a liquid compound and then coat it with furniture paste wax. It’s not going to look perfect and it’s not going to look new, but it will look like a beautiful rod from the 1930s.
Once you strip the varnish off and redo a rod you can never go back. This rod looks like it will fish and hold up just fine for a long time before that needs to be done. If the cane is protected, the varnish is working and doesn’t need to be removed. If there are bare spots, touch it up. If it’s thin and cracking, put wax on it to keep the moisture out.
My two cents
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I’ll agree with George to give it a try. The old fingernail trick on the varnish should determine whether it is worthy, just don’t expect it to be permanent or look like new.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Try using a "Miracle Cloth".

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Trout120-1 wrote:Try using a "Miracle Cloth".
A Miracle Cloth did wonders for me on a couple of rods, but the varnish was not "Heddon soft".

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

blackdog,

Check your Private Messages

Tight Lines- Ken

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”