Do you know what this reel is?

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

1carazy1

Do you know what this reel is?

Post by 1carazy1 »

Please help identify this reel. My father in law passed and I am trying help my mother in law find out what the reel is and what it might be worth.
The reel is so unique with the rod mounts centered in the reel.
I know the rod is a Pat. 80990 American Fork and Hoe / True Temper, and its 61" long.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Do you know what this reel is?

Post by roycestearns »

Don't know, but I'll bet the experts on Orca would. Go to https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/

1carazy1

Post by 1carazy1 »

Thank you kindly, It has been a long search and you gave me my first lead. Thank You, Thank You

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

roycestearns wrote:Don't know, but I'll bet the experts on Orca would. Go to https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/
Thanks for that link.

ORCADave

Post by ORCADave »

It is a True Temper Reel Rod. It could be purchased combined with a wide variety of True Temper steel rods. These were sold from the mid-1930s until at least the start of World War II. Pretty cool integrated reel and rod handle!

Low Profile
Guide

Post by Low Profile »

I have the same reel rod combo and when researching recall seeing an article that Ted Williams used one to cast a practice plug over the home run wall at a baseball park (Fenway?). If true pretty neat!!!

Low Profile

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”