Orvis Database Update

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Re: Orvis Database Update

Post by G-ManBart »

I've got another update with yet another pending. This one is pretty interesting, or at least I think so!

Orvis Battenkill, serial number 57991. This is an 8' 2/2, 4 1/8 oz rod, HDG (6). As best I can tell it's the second lowest serial number of this model, made right when they started making them (I was about two months old, give or take). The bag is gray with no flap, just a pull tab. The tube is silver with the blue, silver and gold label.

Now the interesting part: this rod was part of a collection being sold in Vermont. One of the rods was marked that it was made by Wes Jordan for Dan Reid. Another rod had Dan Reid's name engraved on the butt. I've found reference to a Dan Reid working for Orvis, and as a PR person for The American Fly Fisher, where Wes Jordan was part of the staff covering fly rods. Could Dan have been related to George Reid the rod maker?

I have to say the condition of this rod is absolutely immaculate...only the very slightest soiling on the grip and one of the tips has a ferrule so perfect it almost looks like it was never put together, while the other has just the slightest signs of use. I've been holding onto a really nice Orvis Young Lightweight that would have been paired with it should someone have bought the combo offered brand new in early 1970...I'm honestly almost afraid to use this rod it's so nice!

There were some other neat rods in the collection, but I didn't manage to get any of those.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks for the information on #57991, it will appear in the January 2022 update. BTW, there was an error in posting the July database update, and a 2019 revision is currently online. It should be corrected soon.

Photos of Dan Reid appeared in either the catalogs or the Orvis News. I did a quick search of my catalogs, but couldn't find it. I don't know if Dan is related to George.

If you contact Orvis customer service, they can provide the rods completion date, name of the person who made the blank and perhaps a little more. I don't believe they release customer or employee information.

A copy & paste from my notes:
"The 8-foot, 4 1/8-oz, 12/64-ferrule taper has a delicate slow-action. Orvis recommended a WF6 line for it, however, I believe most owners are fishing them with 5-weight lines. It was intended for primary use as a basic trout rod and it’s among the more sought-after Orvis models.

The rod was introduced in the 1970 catalog and made through 1996. It was available in Battenkill (1970-1996), Madison (1972-1996) and "125" (1981-1985) grades."

Scans from the 1970 catalog including the model introduction:

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Hi Greg, Thank you so much for all your efforts in compiling The Orvis Database, please add my recently acquired Orvis SSS to the Database, ser# 67202, 8’9”, 2/2, 6 7/8 oz, WF10, Thank You Again, Jerzy

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks...

From the 1972 catalog:

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

I got this one in a rod swap :)
r :)

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thank you. It's a beautiful example.

From the 1979 catalog it appeared in--the Odgen Pleissner cover art is great:

The person in the photo at the bottom left of page 19 is Wes Jordan's son Bob. Wish I knew who was in the photo above him.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Not my rod, I just spotted it on FB. This serial number is not in the database..

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Greg, I think that picture might be John Rosencrantz. See a similar picture in Jordan the Rodmaker, p 127.

Rupert

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

jan96 wrote:
07/28/21 12:24
Not my rod, I just spotted it on FB. This serial number is not in the database..
Thank you...

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

headwaters wrote:
07/28/21 19:51
Greg, I think that picture might be John Rosencrantz. See a similar picture in Jordan the Rodmaker, p 127.

Rupert
Your right! Thanks Rupert...

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

I finally had time to go back and get the info on the rods I didn't get from the recent collection that was sold...none are in the database.

They had other pictures, but I wasn't sure how many would be helpful. If I left off something important I can go back and find them.

Nymph serial #58571. 8', 2/2, 3 3/4 oz, HFG (4), "Made by Wes Jordan For Dan Reid" on the rod. Gray bag, gray tube with blue, silver, gold label.

Last edited by G-ManBart on 07/29/21 15:33, edited 2 times in total.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Special serial number 31074, 8', 2/1, 4 1/2 oz, HCH. Aluminum reel seat with black ring and trim. Gray bag, gray tube with white, blue, gold label.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Special serial # 33239, 8', 2/1, 4 1/2 oz, HCH. Aluminum reel seat sight black ring and trim. Gray bag, gray tube with white, blue and gold label, but an odd green cap.

Last edited by G-ManBart on 07/30/21 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Battenkill serial number 34751, 8 1/2', 2/2, 5 1/8 oz, HCH. Double down locking reel seat made of aluminum or maybe stainless? Gray bag, gray tube with white, blue, gold label.

Last edited by G-ManBart on 07/29/21 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Midge serial number 48362, 7 1/2', 2/2, 3 5/8 oz, HEG (5). Tan bag, gray tube, silver blue gold label. Walnut spacer reel seat.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Battenkill serial number 38325. 8 1/2', 2.2, 5 1/4oz. Walnut spacer reel seat. Just a trace of label left, but not enough to get more detail. No weight listed on the rod or tube that was visible.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

G-ManBart,

Thanks for the windfall of rods/photos! They'll appear in the January, 2022 update.

The "Special" rods are fitted with the Reed-McGill aluminum reel seat. They sold it in the catalogs of the period for rod building. It was also used for the newly-introduced "99" grade rods in 1955. I think it only lasted a year before being replaced with a SL wood seat, despite it appearing in the "99" illustrations in a few later catalogs

The green plastic cap is original to the rod case. Orvis used it for many "Special" rods, some production lots of "99" rods, and occasionally others. It was also sold in the catalogs as a low-cost replacement for the Cal-Air tubes. IIRC, it was named the "Champlain" cap.

The full metal reel seat on the Battenkill is aluminum.

Regards,
Greg

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
07/29/21 22:44
G-ManBart,

Thanks for the windfall of rods/photos! They'll appear in the January, 2022 update.

The "Special" rods are fitted with the Reed-McGill aluminum reel seat. They sold it in the catalogs of the period for rod building. It was also used for the newly-introduced "99" grade rods in 1955. I think it only lasted a year before being replaced with a SL wood seat, despite it appearing in the "99" illustrations in a few later catalogs

The green plastic cap is original to the rod case. Orvis used it for many "Special" rods, some production lots of "99" rods, and occasionally others. It was also sold in the catalogs as a low-cost replacement for the Cal-Air tubes. IIRC, it was named the "Champlain" cap.

The full metal reel seat on the Battenkill is aluminum.

Regards,
Greg
Great stuff...thanks! I added a picture of the Special tube with the green cap in case anybody is interested. Both of the Special rods are actually listed for sale on eBay by the same seller (not anyone I know) if folks are interested.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

It's been one heck of a run with rods lately....another for the database.

Battenkill serial number 40122, 7 1/2ft, 2/1, 3 7/8oz, HDG (6), marked "Warren W. Shakton". Standard cord and DL reel seat with walnut spacer. Gray bag, gray tube, green and silver label.

The odd thing is a second, non-matching tip was in the bag. It has a 13/64 ferrule, is 45 1/2" long and has serial number 20813 on it. Unfortunately, this was at a local estate auction and they had something like 75 fly rods. I'm guessing this tip came from another Orvis rod and someone put it in the wrong tube. I looked, but couldn't find that rod, so now I have an orphaned tip, but it's in good condition.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks again G-Man,

I come across mixed-up tips fairly frequently, including one yesterday via database E-mail.

BTW, the green-labeled tube is a later replacement. They weren't in use until early 1971.

Regards,
Greg

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”