Info needed on Phillipson Power Pakt 9' 3 piece rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

spielerman

Info needed on Phillipson Power Pakt 9' 3 piece rod

Post by spielerman »

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and spent some time with the search function.

I've come across a Phillipson Power Pakt in a 9' 3 piece configuration. Only one tip (assuming originally it had 2).

There is no line weight indication, only other writing on the blank is it says 28 by the winding check.
(I did find an old catalog that lists the weight as either 5 5/8 ounces or 6 ounces).

Any idea as to the line weight this rod is rated for? What line weight it fishes best with?

Does anyone have one and thoughts about the casting and fish fighting characteristics of the rod?

Thank you.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Re: Info needed on Phillipson Power Pakt 9' 3 piece rod

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

The number 28 was inspectors number. Rod originally would have had 2 tips.

The rod should be a 6 wt rod and should cast and fish well as most Phillipsons do.

Dave

imaterp02
Sport

Post by imaterp02 »

That’s an awesome rod. The 5 5/8 one should be a 6 weight and the 6 oz is a 7. Good streamer rod. For a couple of seasons, I used a 5 5/8 for spring landlocks. I was never bothered by the heaviness of it. Paired with the appropriate reel, it’s a versatile rod that did everything well.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I second everything stated above. I have and still fish a 5 5/8 oz. taper trade rod, I have kept it while letting a few other 6 wts. go.

jrpaquatics
Guide

Re: Info needed on Phillipson Power Pakt 9' 3 piece rods

Post by jrpaquatics »

The rod has HCH listed on it so wouldn’t a 7wt fit the rod better? Are people forcing 6wt lines on these rods or did the Phillipson company get it wrong. My rod is pretty beefier looking but has two short tips so I’ve yet to try it out. Though I find most old rods cast their labeled rods weights best.

imaterp02
Sport

Post by imaterp02 »

Converting silk line weights to AFTMA line weights is kind of an inexact science. Since the old silk line classifications we’re based on line diameter and AFTMA designations are based on grain weight, the conversions aren’t always predictable. I used to think of HEH as a 5 weight but I’ve had two HeH rods that are definitely 4 weights. Hopefully you can experiment with both a 6 and 7 on your rod.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

imaterp02 wrote:Converting silk line weights to AFTMA line weights is kind of an inexact science. Since the old silk line classifications we’re based on line diameter and AFTMA designations are based on grain weight, the conversions aren’t always predictable. I used to think of HEH as a 5 weight but I’ve had two HeH rods that are definitely 4 weights. Hopefully you can experiment with both a 6 and 7 on your rod.
\\

I agree with imaterp02. The conversion of line designations from the silk era to modern plastic lines is an inexact science. And when you're dealing with 70-year-old bamboo rods, you are going to find some variation even between examples of what seem to be the same tapers. I have two 9-foot PowrPakts, both marked HCH and 5 5/8 oz. The older one (late 40s, with the plastic reel seat) is a definite 6-weight, while the later one (early 50s, metal "no-rock reel seat) is a 7-weight.

barebo
Sport

Post by barebo »

I received the exact rod last week and spooled up my Beaudex 3-1/2" MW with a Cortland "Modern Trout" WF6F and it is a casting/fishing dream for me. First Phillipson I've owned and I'm extremely satisfied - so classic and built right.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”