New Phillipson 9' Powr Pakt

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

barebo
Master Guide

New Phillipson 9' Powr Pakt

Post by barebo »

I received today a Beautiful 9' Phillipson Powr Pakt in 100% original condition. One thing that I noticed is that there is a guide just in front of the tip ferrule and also a guide just behind the mid female? I've never seen this before? Was this a common practice on Phillipson rods to protect the ferrule joint reducing stress at that point? That was the only conclusion I could conjure up.
One thing that I did note initially is that it is considerably heavier than my Edwards built 1312T Shakespeare 8-1/2'. The butt is more substantial on the Phillipson but from mid to tip the taper seems close, both having fine tips. I prefer longer rods as I mostly swing wets. I have an original Sage graphite 2 - 4711 for dries but love the old school method.

paramount
Master Guide

Re: New Phillipson 9' Powr Pakt

Post by paramount »

Not sure why they did it but that is common with Phillipson rods.

Bruce

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

It was a Bill Phillipson thing that he continued from his Granger days. He had his reasoning and there have been a few theories...

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I've always had a soft spot for Granger's and may get one yet. I didn't realize that they shared that trait but will have a look. Thanks for the input.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

There are many similarities, with Phillipson's costing a bit less and generally being a good buy for the money.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I took it out yesterday with a Sealey 3-1/2" Beaudex MW spooled with a Cortland "Modern Trout" WF6F and after a short familiarizing with how the casting stroke wanted to be, was really pleased that I was fortunate to have gotten it. I fished a Quill Gordon wet and had a 15 plus morning on a local stream. No "sockers" - 14" was the big one, but one did part my 4X coming out of the slack water into the current in a flash!
In the natural sunlight, this old rod is beautiful and can lay line out with ease. At 9' I had no issues on a smaller to medium sized stream. I was able to roll cast and side arm under low hanging branches as if I was using my Sage 4711. I think I like it.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”