Wading Staffs

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

123dooclimber
Sport

Re: Wading Staffs

Post by 123dooclimber »

Hi everyone. Can someone please send me a way to contact "herkileez" from Vancouver. He is making the Riverstick wading staff that is mentioned in this post. I need a new staff and his look to be just what I need. An email address, mailing address, or phone number would be great. I tried getting logged into the Spey forum, but for some reason I can't get registered and logged on properly. I'd really appreciate some contact information. With the arthritis that I have, I pretty much need a good wading staff all the time that I fish. Thanks in advance for your help.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Eric Peper wrote:My wife and I both have Folstafs. At 78, it is as essential to fishing for us as the rod and reel. When it is in the holster, I am not even aware of it. When it is needed it is instantly available and works well, and at 225 I am no lightweight. It worked just as well BTW when i was 90 pounds heavier pre-cancer. ;) . I recommend them unhesitatingly, and they are backed by a bulletproof warranty.

Eric
Thanks Eric.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

I've been using this one for years; made by a fellow in England and I probably have his name somewhere. At the risk of sounding...you know...for me aluminum and bungee cords just don't fit with bamboo rods ;)

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

+1 on these staffs. Best I've used by far.
"herkileez" can be reached at:
rick humphrey <rhumphrey@telus.net>

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Well after my most recent tumble on the Deschutes while putting my hand out to break my fall I punctured the palm of my hand pretty good. Putting a little blood on the fly did not increase my catch rate. So time for me to accept dragging a wading staff along. I am going to use a wood one that has been waiting on the shelf for probably too long.

rasnickr
Guide

Post by rasnickr »

I use a folstaf. I have two, the shorter one and longer one. I bought the shorter one first and have had to send it back to get the tip replaced twice(from lots of wading gravel bottoms). LL Bean had them on sale a couple of years ago and I bought the longer one. I like them both and they are sturdy. I am 6'3" and 250.
It is good to have a backup if you send one back for repair. They can be a might slow depending on the time of year. Summer time they come into the office around 4pm in NY. Why they can sometimes be hard to reach, but they get it repaired and sent back to me without being lost in the mail.
rick

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

plus 2 on herkileez

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I would love to see a picture of the "Herkileez" wading staffs if someone has one?

I have tried the staffs that break down and fold up and I've had them fail in uncomfortable situations. I'd like to see some of the solid wading staffs.

Pat

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Contact Rick

email: rhumphrey@telus.net
home: 250 923 3458

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I have an old saltwater rod suitable for sharks or pole vaulting. I've thought about stripping it down and making it into a wading staff. Might have to lean on it see if it would hold up to my weight and it would go good with a bamboo rod.

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

I'm going to order one of the folding staffs from the guy on the Spey forum mentioned above for use when traveling, but also have two of the Ron Hart River Stalker wooden ones that I use on rivers locally and love them. Sturdy, light, silent, perfect. Keine's fly shop carries them in CA

https://kienesflyshop.com/Fly+Fishing/B ... Staff.html

Flashman
Sport

Post by Flashman »

I was actually thinking about this the other day. The first time I really took a tumble in waders was 20 years ago in the Deschutes. Totally unexpected, cold, wet and a real mess. My knee gave out and don't know why but suspect the uncleated felt soles at the time contributed. After that, although I got a foldable Simms, I usually use a home made wading staff harvested from stream debris: steamed, or heated, and straightened if necessary (re-straightened at times), harden the tip, shellac, paracord handle and cord with a carabiner. These will usually last for several seasons depending on use and the quality of the wood. My current one has been used for a number of years. I suspect most are large leaf maple but have used vine maple once of twice, very tough but not very straight.

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

I have a Hart's River Stalker (mentioned by norcal_1 above); probably ought to use it more. But it's a real nice staff.

Gene

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

At my ripe old age of 73, I wouldn't leave home without one! I sometimes even use a wading staff to get my waders on. I fish a lot of free stone streams here in New Mexico and some of those stones are big, and loose, so a wading staff is a must. I first started using one in my 30's when I jumped from one rock to another and the rock went over forward. I almost impaled myself on a downed tree root. Carrying a wading staff also keeps me from making stupid choices like that! When I lived in California, I used to fish a lot of the irrigation ditches off the Kings River in central California. Those wading staffs are super for beating off the farm dogs, and the cows that seem to want to chase you!

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

I'm in the process of re purposing a WWII Orvis bamboo ski pole for my next wading staff. I'm wondering if it needs intermediates? :-\

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Bud wrote:https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92- ... ics/333217

This is the best folding wading staff I have used. Bought mine after my Simms staff collapsed when I was bellybutton deep in the Madison.
Well that page has got some rules that won't allow me as a new user to contact this guy. I'll wait a few days and see if I can get access. No option to PM him, not allowed to post in classifieds yet.... Sad, I'd like to give him money.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Bud wrote:Contact Rick

email: rhumphrey@telus.net
home: 250 923 3458
Thank you Bud!!

Bob

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Been a Folstaff user for 35 years (yes I bought one at 15 yo cause I was young / dumb and liked to combat wade). On my 2nd one the larger tubular model they made for Orvis. Mine gets stuck together so much I rarely fold it up anymore but I love it all the same, wouldn't fish most streams without it. Doubles as a geese repellent weapon too. When those sob's are nesting, they can be nasty.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

I just got a note from Rick. Several members have ordered staffs from him. I’m passing along his thanks.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”