Is Gierach now fishing graphite?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Is Gierach now fishing graphite?

Post by Gnome »

Loogie wrote:
samsonboi wrote:
Tommasini wrote:
Fishbamboorods wrote:Not sure when graphite would ever be best tool for the job.
Then I guess you have never cast one.

I love bamboo rods but as far as castability, nothing equals graphite in longer lengths (8'+). When me and my friends have a lawn casting party, we cast many bamboo rods and at the end bring out graphite rods. Holy smokes! Not even close! They don't look pretty though and don't exude craftsmanship.
Ah, why not ask Gnome about his Torzite guides? On a good bamboo rod, he says they will almost always outcast a plastic rod.
Gnome claims a 25% increase in performance. However I have yet to see scientific proof of those guides having such less drag that they increase your performance by so much. I am not inclined to believe such a claim without scientific proof.

Now a good carbon fiber rod is hard to beat when it comes to distance and accuracy. I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to casting accurately at a finning redfish or bonefish under adverse conditions in the salt at ranges that are on the edge of performance. I would like to see anyone make such a cast with bamboo...doubt it.
Yep just ignore 35+ years of experience, go watch the video put out by Fuji on the Torzite guides and get some and try them and then speak from experience and not just conjecture. Good for John to fish whatever he wants and he has no responsibility to anyone here to fit their view of how it should be done and with what it should be done with. And my statement about a 10 to 25% increase in performance stands at least from my EXPERIENCE with the Ceramic Nitride guides.

Fuji link
https://www.fujitackle.eu/fuji_videos

They are a game-change whether people here want to believe it or not, you won't believe me so just ask Tom Smithwick or better yet ask Jed Dempsey how his trip to Argentine went? You might believe him over me. And a good carbon fiber rod with the Torzites is a step beyond and you would be shocked at the performance if you would allow yourself the open mind to try them. Your cast at an extreme distance for reds and bones would be significantly easier to achieve with a rod with Torzites. Believe it or not!

Bud
Guide

Post by Bud »

I would love to try casting them.

Gimmeslack
Sport

Post by Gimmeslack »

I have no dog in this fight - I personally love my relatively new cane acquisitions but also have some graphite rods that are brilliant tools for certain conditions. I was also recently re-connecting with a cousin of mine who has over 40 years of fanatical obsession with tarpon. At one time he was a bona-fide caster (is that a word) who could lay a fly out over 100' distant and into the reel's backing (perfect conditions of course). A typical fishing day might be a sun-up to sun-down excursion. So I have to ask - in TOTAL sincerity as it's not my style of fishing nor do I have 'big' cane rods for it: is that possible with bamboo? And even if it IS possible, is it not just easier with graphite?

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Jeff says yes, and it’s actually easier, with a bamboo rod- provided it has Torzites. I am looking forward to getting mine.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Gimmeslack wrote:I have no dog in this fight - I personally love my relatively new cane acquisitions but also have some graphite rods that are brilliant tools for certain conditions. I was also recently re-connecting with a cousin of mine who has over 40 years of fanatical obsession with tarpon. At one time he was a bona-fide caster (is that a word) who could lay a fly out over 100' distant and into the reel's backing (perfect conditions of course). A typical fishing day might be a sun-up to sun-down excursion. So I have to ask - in TOTAL sincerity as it's not my style of fishing nor do I have 'big' cane rods for it: is that possible with bamboo? And even if it IS possible, is it not just easier with graphite?
Yes. It's easier with graphite. Horses for courses.

As far as John Gierach goes, I think he should fish with whatever works and makes him happy. Just like the rest of us!

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Gimmeslack wrote:I have no dog in this fight - I personally love my relatively new cane acquisitions but also have some graphite rods that are brilliant tools for certain conditions. I was also recently re-connecting with a cousin of mine who has over 40 years of fanatical obsession with tarpon. At one time he was a bona-fide caster (is that a word) who could lay a fly out over 100' distant and into the reel's backing (perfect conditions of course). A typical fishing day might be a sun-up to sun-down excursion. So I have to ask - in TOTAL sincerity as it's not my style of fishing nor do I have 'big' cane rods for it: is that possible with bamboo? And even if it IS possible, is it not just easier with graphite?
Hello Gimm.,
Yep, it is possible to tarpon fish with bamboo. My Grandfather and Dad used Payne salmon rods.

Cheers,

Alan

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Re guides.,.Wouldn’t the proposed 25% increase in performance also apply to the graphite rod or any other material? So a side by side comparison would be to equip both rods with the same guides if it’s indeed the rod material we are comparing

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Probably yes. But why make graphite rods better? Isn’t the point to get new people into bamboo?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

samsonboi wrote:Probably yes. But why make graphite rods better? Isn’t the point to get new people into bamboo?
When you’re standing on the front of a Panga in Ascension Bay, and your guide is yelling at you to drop a heavy crab pattern on the nose of a permit 70’ away with a 20 mph head wind, I’ll take every advantage I can get!! This includes graphite and torzite. Sounds like I may need to try torzite guides on a 9 weight.

Jake

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Personally…I like the prospect of a little 'drag' with non- kryptonite guides, as the fly line turn over may be better, helping for a straighter line in the air..

Malcolm

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

samsonboi wrote:Probably yes. But why make graphite rods better? Isn’t the point to get new people into bamboo?
Whose point?
The point of what?
As an individual, I have absolutely no need nor any desire to cast any further to trout with a bamboo rod.
Should I wish to launch flies toward other fish species, I will likely use a different material.

Brooks
Master Guide

Post by Brooks »

oddsnrods wrote:Personally…I like the prospect of a little 'drag' with non- kryptonite guides, as the fly line turn over may be better, helping for a straighter line in the air..

Malcolm
Wait...wait! We're missing the whole point here! John Geirach must be made to wear a crown of thorns!
A tenkara rod, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.

novisor12
Sport

Post by novisor12 »

mlarocco wrote:Salt water, especially when one needs to present a fly quickly at a distance. Anybody do flats fishing with bamboo?
I'm a graphite and glass guy, dont own any bamboo and only cast bamboo a few times. Eventually I'll own some.

Anyways if you can cast you can cast. The difference in performance for a good caster between a great rod and a terrible one is a 105' cast vs a 95' cast. A good caster could hit a 2' diameter target from 40' with dt line taped to a pool cue all day long.

So yes, I wouldnt hesitate to flats fish with a bamboo rod. I'd be able to present a fly quickly at a distance no problem. Graphite would be easier but by small fractions not orders of magnitude.

6weight

Post by 6weight »

I purchased a Hardy Zenith from the classifieds a few years ago and I am always amazed at its lightness and versatility. It's a truly do anything rod and a pleasure to cast. I actually stopped using my cane rods for a period of time. Also a few years ago, I bought an 8 ft. or so 5 weight from Wayne Maca. I used it for a while with a Cortland peach line, but it just didn't sing to me. I spoke with Wayne a few weeks ago and he suggested switching to a modern weight forward line and he also suggested that I use only this rod for the entire season. I put on a new Sci Anglers line and the rod is completely different. I can't believe how well mannered it is now. I have been using only this rod and am quite happy with it, although it's definitely not your grandfather's bamboo rod. My long winded point is that if all the pieces fit correctly, a cane rod is the better choice, although I know nothing about spey casting. I do have it on good authority that Glenn Brackett and Jerry Kusich both have used cane rods to chase bonefish

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

oddsnrods wrote:Personally…I like the prospect of a little 'drag' with non- kryptonite guides, as the fly line turn over may be better, helping for a straighter line in the air..

Malcolm
This is probably way off the original topic, sorry.
That is an interesting point. But if one has a static amount of line out, do the guides actually do all that much? I'm looking at if I'm false casting, not changing line length, the guides seem to be the point of contact for "the line making the rod bend" Most of it on the tip top.
To me, the guides come more into play when one is manipulating the line: hauling, shooting, etc. Logically, less friction when shooting line should result in "more shoot", hauling less friction should mean more line speed for the same haul or same line speed for less haul, which effectively changes "rod load for a given haul".

To bring it back closer to topic, I wonder if the graphite rods Gierach uses bend more like a bamboo rod (say an older Winston IM6 or Sage DS2) or if they are wicked fast tip action best for bonefish in windy conditions?

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Is Gierach fishing graphite the equivalent of Dylan going electric?

Brooks
Master Guide

Post by Brooks »

davemaine wrote:Is Gierach fishing graphite the equivalent of Dylan going electric?
Absolutely! :rollin

It just ruined his career and reputation 8)
A tenkara rod, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

davemaine wrote:Is Gierach fishing graphite the equivalent of Dylan going electric?
Okay, since we're already off topic one of the funnier skits I saw one time was a comedian who could really do a good Dylan calling in a phone order for a pepperoni, sausage, green pepper and onion pizza. Picture it in your mind. Hilarious. Loved Dylan and had to when you lived in MN.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

Appropriate he should be mentioned, as today is Bob Dylan's birthday. He is 79

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I agree with bamboo rodley! And too,I usually fish where a long cast spooks the fish right in front of me!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”