Goodwin Granger I am considering buying - Need help

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Yavin

Goodwin Granger I am considering buying - Need help

Post by Yavin »

I am looking at a Goodwin Granger bamboo rod on Facebook. The owner wants $100 but it is missing a guide, a piece of cork chipped off and missing the sock and rod tube. He said to make an offer as it seems he has had it for a bit. I am interested, but can't find an ID on it and he is about an hour and a half away so I can't see it in person. He is going to measure it and let me know full length later this evening.

Could you guys take a look and see what you think? I believe it is an earlier one due to the Patent Pending mark and not the patent numbers. Thanks!

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Goodwin Granger I am considering buying - Need help

Post by samsonboi »

Buy it, $100 is OK but try bargaining; he might take $50 or $75. It's a nice rod.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Yavin

Post by Yavin »

samsonboi wrote:Buy it, $100 is OK but try bargaining; he might take $50 or $75. It's a nice rod.
Any idea what model line or era it is? I couldn't find anything showing those wrapping marks.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Not an expert on these rods; it's a nice rod though and I would buy it out from under you if I knew who was selling it.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

You might see if the owner can measure the diameter of the ferrules too.
That may help determine which model you are dealing with.

Yavin

Post by Yavin »

BGreer wrote:You might see if the owner can measure the diameter of the ferrules too.
That may help determine which model you are dealing with.
He seems to be a little light on the technical side. Even most of the pics are blurry and hard to get him to understand what I am needing. I'm not sure I can get him to measure them reliably. I plan to do that if I buy it.

Mainly, I am just wondering if it is worth spending the time and effort on to get it fishable and not have more than it is worth in it. And I like to know the age just for the sake of the cool factor.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

It’s definitely a project rod and will probably require some work before fishing. If doing yourself, not so bad. Somebody else, I would pass. I would need to know a lot more about the rod and it looks like it is missing a tip. As mentioned, ferrule size and full length sections are pertinent. I could do most of the work myself and would probably pass.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Appears to be a Victory - next to lowest grade rod. Value depends upon length of rod and missing tip as mentioned. Will need work to be fishable. Patent pending was 1935-1938 timeframe.

Yavin

Post by Yavin »

Webfly wrote:It’s definitely a project rod and will probably require some work before fishing. If doing yourself, not so bad. Somebody else, I would pass. I would need to know a lot more about the rod and it looks like it is missing a tip. As mentioned, ferrule size and full length sections are pertinent. I could do most of the work myself and would probably pass.
Were there supposed to be two tips? Here is another pic with the tip shown.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Yes - Granger rods always came with 2 tip sections.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Yes, and that one almost looks shortened. Ask for measurements of all sections, not just full length measurement. The butt section may vary a little, due to the adjustable style reel seat. It would be worth close to 100 if you parted it out, but not for restoring.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Webfly wrote:It’s definitely a project rod and will probably require some work before fishing. If doing yourself, not so bad. Somebody else, I would pass. I would need to know a lot more about the rod and it looks like it is missing a tip. As mentioned, ferrule size and full length sections are pertinent. I could do most of the work myself and would probably pass.
Good advice.

Yavin

Post by Yavin »

Alright guys. I appreciate the info. I am going to pass unless it is like $40. haha

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

It definitely has a short tip and it's missing a tip.

From my perspective, this is one of the best times to be looking to buy a Goodwin Granger rod, and there are a lot of them out there. I think you should try to pick up one in better condition. Try to decide what length you would prefer based on the type of fishing you do.

Good luck!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Even for $20, walk away, unless you can sell the reel seat for a profit.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”