Pontoon Boats Help

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Dead Drifter

Pontoon Boats Help

Post by Dead Drifter »

Hello All,

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all.

I'm playing with the idea of getting a single-seater pontoon boat, and the research is a bit overwhelming. I'm looking for a boat to fish still water and rivers. Rivers no more than class III rapids. The ideal boat would be good for both fishing (or course) and also non-fishing river trips where family and friends are in inflatable kayaks/hardshell kayaks/rafts (2-3 day river camping trips). A shelf for storing several days/nights of gear therefore a big plus. Mostly to be used in Colorado, with road trips to Utah, NM, WY and maybe MT.

I've been eyeing new and used: Scadden Skykomish Sunrise; Outcasts's Fist Cat 9-IR.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/experience with pontoons generally, and maybe the boats I've mentioned.

Thanks,
Dave

Livingstone
Master Guide

Re: Pontoon Boats Help

Post by Livingstone »

Hi, I use the Outcast Panther, the one with quad bladders. I use it from the Great Lakes to medium to large rivers, no complaints at all. Livingstone.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Love my Frameless Scadden, but in my experience if you are between sizes I'd go bigger. Better to have extra space and not use it all the time than needing it and not having it. I also love that I can launch my boat and take it out ANYWHERE. However, the frameless ones are less durable.

Also, I can always float where others can't. I've floated the Beaverkill, haha.

6weight

Post by 6weight »

I have a Watermaster Kodiak. It's a wonderful river craft and it holds a lot of weight. I have mostly used on the West Branch Delaware. You don't see many in NY, but they are really popular in the Northwest. It also helps that their customer service is excellent.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

whichever one you decide on you need 1 accessory to go with it besides Life vest etc. and that is a set of Force fins. And learn to not touch your oars and use those fins in the water yo described and you will find yourself at a point where you feel that a duck on the water has nothing over you. Time after time I have seen anglers struggling in their cats with a rod in hand and trying to oar at the same time and they look like whirly gigs going down the river.

The force fins in my book are absolutely required equipment for a pontoon/cat and do not go cheap on the fins because you will suffer for it.

I bought my force fins in 1981 and they are patent pending model and they have more than paid for themselves ($75.00 at the time and that was expensive). I have documented well in excess of over 6000 river miles with a fly rod in hand and fins on my feet in my river log.

if you make it over to the SW corner look me up and we will float the lower gunny. NO OARS allowed just fins and fly rods.

Jeff

P.S. I float several different pontoons from a Scadden 11'6" cardiac canyon (play boat for class 2-3 rapids and too big for easy fishing from but boy is it a hot rod, an original bucks bags bronco and an outcast oncilla and a FOAC ultra light . check your PM and cal me if you want to talk pontoons and the state of Colorado

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

If you are looking at Outcast boats, buck up and pay for the nicer ones for lightness, durability and longevity. You won’t regret it.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I second the water master suggestion - easy to manuveur - lots of weight - oars and flippers - and large shelf in back . even inflated fits in the back of my Tacoma - most pontoons do not - when i lived in Montana used it on lakes, Madison, Missouri and gallatin

dborjas
Guide

Post by dborjas »

I purchased a used pontoon boat 3 years ago and have been enjoying it. It is a Skookum Steelhead. 10ft, 19inch double chambered tubes, 7ft 2 piece oars. anchor system. swivel seat. I find it an excellent fishing platform. It has a forward deck for standing, back area for cooler. very stable.I fish the bighole, beaverhead,and a bunch of local lakes. The whole thing will fit in the back of my dodge dakota. The best feature is a drop down wheel for getting around on dry land I will look for some pics to post. This is a nice one person option.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

dborjas wrote:I purchased a used pontoon boat 3 years ago and have been enjoying it. It is a Skookum Steelhead. 10ft, 19inch double chambered tubes, 7ft 2 piece oars. anchor system. swivel seat. I find it an excellent fishing platform. ...

My gosh, did that moose chase you off his water and the boat's empty 'cause you're hoofing it up the trail? 3 of us in a small 12' boat followed a moose toward shore one time with a little 3hp motor. He could really move but when he got shallow enough he stood up, spun around and dropped his head. We left as fast as that little motor could push that little boat. Great picture you have there.

dborjas
Guide

Post by dborjas »

bassman, This was taken a Georgetown lake MT., below our camp spot. Little did I know it was a fave. swimming hole for 3 handsome bulls. It was a great 5 days of damsel dries and hot rainbows! dborjas

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”