Wading Belt

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Wading Belt

Post by Silver Doctor »

What’s everyone’s thoughts on wading belts. The ones I seem to get with my waders tend to collapse over time and aren’t comfortable after a while. Item even high-end wader manufacturers seem to cheap out on. I do usually have bear spray and my collapsible wading staff & water bottle hung from the web belt. I want to look for something stiffer perhaps with a bit of back support.

Has anyone addressed this with perhaps a non-fly fishing answer? As I get older and more crotchety I want stuff to work.

perfesser
Guide

Re: Wading Belt

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/27/20 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

herkileez
Sport

Post by herkileez »

x 2 on the 2" web belt. You can also use a 2" leather belt. Just make sure it's a non-stretch belt to ensure a tight fit that won't allow water in. I have a nylon belt with integral back support, which I like.

6weight

Post by 6weight »

I use the Blackhawk Web Duty Belt. Very tough and carries a lot of gear.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

I've long since switched to Simms waders but for years, when I was young and mostly broke, I wore LL Bean. As bad as some of those waders were, the belts were fantastic - and I kept every one. 1.5" super heavy braided nylon, zero flex, fully adjustable, indestructible nylon buckles. I don't wear a vest so the belt carries a knife, bottle bag, net tucked in back, wading lanyard, bear spray (for hillbillies), etc. Years later and the belts still look new. Kind of amazing, actually.

Sadly, as is typical for LL Bean, they're no longer offering this particular belt with their waders (or to purchase separately). Too bad. I suppose you might find one on the auction site.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

6weight wrote:I use the Blackhawk Web Duty Belt. Very tough and carries a lot of gear.

And they're made in Montana. :)

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

ctwhite wrote:I've long since switched to Simms waders...
Me also, a bargain at a fraction of the cost for the amount I fish... thus I utilize the wading belt Simms includes with their waders, and these work just fine for me...

I'm 73 and initially injured my back when I was in my early 40s... so far, so good--- avoided back surgery... but years ago I asked my PCP to send me to PT, so I could learn exercises that help my back... I try to do these daily, and for over a quarter-century all has worked out well...

Good luck... ;)

PS... I attached a wading staff to my belt, else who knows what might happen... :-\

Ed

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I had a great one from Orvis that I bought probably 10+ years ago but lost it. Bought this Fishpond belt and really like it:

Bob

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I bought a Simm's 20 years ago and it's still going strong. It's nothing fancy, just a thick tough Nylon belt.

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

I use a back brace belt which uses a very dense foam for stiffness. I bought it at a "safety" store which carried safety equipment for miners. It is made by Valeo and is about six inches wide at the back. It is comfortable and adds hours to my wade fishing.

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Sometimes I use the belts that come with the waders but only when I am fishing particularly heavy or deep water. Most of my water is shallow enough that when I fall in I can just get back up, say some bad words and get back to fishing. For back support, which is sometimes NEEDED, I use an industrial back belt from McCaster-Carr.
AgMD

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

For a few years now I have used a Stearns Inflata Belt in place of a regular wader belt. if I fall into a hole or get swept away in current, I can yank a cord and a CO2 cartridge will inflate a yellow horse collar type float that goes over my kneck and buckles in the front. I have a distinct dislike for drowning. This is the best insurance for wading swift water, yet is completely out of the way unless needed in an emergency. I bought mine at Bass Pro a few years ago. I don't wade without it. It's a great comfort for tailwaters where I fish that can see water rising several feet in just a few minutes, like on the White River system in Arkansas and Missouri.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Those tailwaters can be dangerous. A guy fell off a dock at Lake Taneycomo last week and drowned. If there is any gate open creating a current combined with the extremely cold water you will be almost helpless. I've wade fished Tany a lot and when the whistle blows the water can come up fast.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

I only live about 40 miles from Taneycomo and saw that story on the news.When in a canoe or any kind of boat I always wear a standard PFD with pockets. In my many years as a newspaper and TV photographer and reporter and in law enforcement, I lost count of how many drowning stories and body recovery events I have been on. I don't intend to become one of those careless victims. I might freeze to death but at least I will be easy to find.....

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”