All metal seat

History of the Heddon Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Heddon Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

eapling
Guide

All metal seat

Post by eapling »

Anyone know if any Heddon trade rods came with an all metal downlock cap an ring seat?

E

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: All metal seat

Post by wrong66 »

I can't remember any off the top of my head, not that they weren't made for numerous models. Heddon didn't start producing trade rods until 1933 or 1934 (except for a few select bait casting rods for companies like A.G. Spalding, for example). By 1934 the all-metal cap & ring seats were pretty much discontinued, in favor of the screw-locking seats. However, one way to use up discontinued components was use them for trade rods, for a sizeable discount. That said, there could be several out there. I checked my photo files and don't see any. Very good question.
Mark

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

Thanks Mark, I picked it up (8' 3/2) 30+ years ago. Looks like a higher grade Heddon in a Heddon looking bag, but no label on the bag. The only writing on the rod is "Lachmann" on one flat in Heddon writing. I've never seen a Heddon with the all metal seat like it has. But it definitely looks Heddon.

FWIW, I got a 8'6" 3/2 the same day marked "Peter's Buffalonian". Another high grade Heddon, but this with a walnut screw seat. Used that in trade on a new rod 25+ years ago.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

If you still have the rod is there any chance of supplying a few photos? Heddon was known to make rods for individuals, although the minimum order was 10 rods for a long time.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

This reel seat was originally on a Heddon trade rod marked as an Abby and Imbrie. ( I think I spelled that wrong, but I mean the NYC tackle dealer.) I had the rod for years thinking it was a Montague, but then I saw on this site the identical rod, which I believe was in a Heddon Museum. I always liked the seat, and the original rod was compromised, so I cannibalized it and used the seat on a newly made 8 foot 4 weight which is what you are looking at below. As you can see, the seat polished up beautifully. I gave the rod an old time look with the 1/4" cork, Chinese red wraps, and English twist guides.

Image[/URL]

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

A little late but I have a Weber with the same metal reel seat.
Vern

Return to “James Heddon & Sons Rods”