wind conversion on hardy perfect 3 1/8

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

5wtaddict

wind conversion on hardy perfect 3 1/8

Post by 5wtaddict »

How difficult, or even possible, is it to convert a hardy perfect from rhw to left hw?

Thanks...john

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: wind conversion on hardy perfect 3 1/8

Post by samsonboi »

Don't do it. It can be done without too much trouble, but the raison d'etre of the Perfect is in its self-locking spool. Change the wind direction and you defeat the entire purpose of the Perfect's existence; without a self-locking spool it isn't really a Perfect at all- since that (with the exposed backplate that it shares with the Bougle) is why it's so perfect in the first place.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

5wtaddict

Post by 5wtaddict »

Thanks Samsonboi; more than likely saved my perfect from becoming far less than perfect.....John

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

You're welcome. If you really want a LHW reel there were some St. Georges made LHW and there is always the Pflueger Medalist 15XX series or you can get a 13XX for far less and make it LHW, just no lineguard.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

5wtaddict

Post by 5wtaddict »

Actually, I reel with my right hand; but I have tried to sell my Hardy perfect a few times and the sale has fallen through because its rhw. I wasn't
aware of all the issues preventing a change from right to left, until I read your response. Appreciate your info.....John

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I’d buy it if I could afford it! :rollin

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys...... ;)

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

samsonboi wrote:
06/14/20 11:38
Don't do it. It can be done without too much trouble, but the raison d'etre of the Perfect is in its self-locking spool. Change the wind direction and you defeat the entire purpose of the Perfect's existence; without a self-locking spool it isn't really a Perfect at all- since that (with the exposed backplate that it shares with the Bougle) is why it's so perfect in the first place.
Hear, hear! You summarize the situation Perfectly.

And on a related note, I cannot imagine why Hardy has persisted in making these sad erzats-Perfects pretending to be LHW, instead of just investing in a second set of threading tools and make a real LHW Perfect.

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Hardy Perfects in LHW are around but not so plentifull and that can be seen on the prices they are sold for. Pictured here a Hardy wide spool 33/4" from 2002, with 1912 check. 250 were made in all of these half, 125 were made LH wind. 2012 Hardy made a special ed. of the Hardy Perfect 31/4" with the 1912 check. The ed. was made to celebrate the regina Elisabeths II 60 years as regent in the UK. 250 reels only were made, of these 125 were made LWH. Enjoy ! // Steen

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

When I hook I fish I just look down at my reel and then start reeling the side the handle is on. It's a lot less complicated then messing with my reels.

-John

salarseeker

Post by salarseeker »

Hello from Nova Scotia:

I was just reading the posts on converting a RHW perfect to LHW and with my hobby and passion being Hardy reels ,I thought I'd see what it would look like and how it worked . I used a spare spool for a 4" WD (as it has already been played) and the spool face is relatively flat. Some spools have a deep hollow which would off set the handle. Used a classic wide white ivorine handle, brass cup and a 3/40 tread brass spindle. I won't be leaving that handle on cup on that spool, It's going on a 1920's reel I working on.

Using a WD with the LHW treaded screw insures the spool remains tight. If you did this to narrow drum with the simple wind on spool on a brass shaft , you would want to use some lock tight to keep from winding the spool off, playing a fish.

Certainly not difficult, with correct tools and parts , about 1/2 hr. Well here what it looks like

With all that said, I love the factory made and special order left hand wind reels. There getting harder to find and a little more costly but well worth it.

Be Safe Barrie

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

Marterius wrote:
11/05/20 03:38
And on a related note, I cannot imagine why Hardy has persisted in making these sad erzats-Perfects pretending to be LHW, instead of just investing in a second set of threading tools and make a real LHW Perfect.
So, the current model, wide spool Perfect in LHW will unwind the side plate? I also find it confounding that Hardy does not list the width of the wide spool Perfect nor the width of the narrow spool Perfect on their website.

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”