Sage Graphite iii 279LL

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

previde

Sage Graphite iii 279LL

Post by previde »

Hey folks...
I just acquired a 279ll at a pawn shop for a screaming deal. I own a 490ll and 590ll and love them. I'm considering keeping this 2 wt, but not really sure what I'd use something that light for. For those that own one, what do you fish for with it and how big of a fish have you landed with it? Also, I'm a hardy reel guy. Have a 3 1/8 and 3 3/8 Perfects but I would imagine these are both too big for this little rod.
Thanks for the help!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sage Graphite iii 279LL

Post by ibookje »

It's funny but since I got into bamboo and fiberglass, graphite rods (even the classic ones) doesn't interest me at all.
(Ultra) light graphite rods are very versatile. They have no problem with bringing in fish up to 20 inch. Just use the stronger butt section when fighting the fish by holding the rod more horizontal than vertical.

Your Perfects are way too heavy indeed. I think a Orvis CFO III or a Hardy Featherweight fits better, both in size and weight.
Good luck!

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Sage Graphite iii 279LL

Post by samsonboi »

Good rod. Keep it, light rods are great. However, since this is a graphite thread it will soon be locked.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”