Orvis Battenkill “99”. 8 1/2 ft 2 pieces Bamboo

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Smchang55
Sport

Orvis Battenkill “99”. 8 1/2 ft 2 pieces Bamboo

Post by Smchang55 »

Trying to figure out the right colors and cork handle for redo and restoration. Previous owner butchered the cork handle by giving it a thumb rest and shaving the cork down. The rod apparently was refinished at some point and I can t find a serial number, unless some 99 have no serial number. The ferrule on male measures 7.1 mm which converts to 9/32. Help on possibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Battenkill “99”. 8 1/2 ft 2 pieces Bamboo

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Hi,

The "99" was Orvis' lower grade rod from 1955 (their 99th year) through 1966. It was built on "Battenkill" 2-piece tapers and came standard with 1-tip. It could be purchased new with 2 tips, or a 2nd tip could be added later. The bags all had slots for 2 tips. They came with a Cal-Air Standard tube with an aluminum-colored collar.

The early rods were mostly fitted with Super Z ferrules, but the standard Orvis ferrules were used too. The winding check, ferrules, Mildrum stripping guide, Mildrum tungsten steel snake guides and top guides were blued. All were wrapped with red nylon. They were only marked "Orvis Impregnated" and "99" on 2 flats. Both sections were serial-numbered.

Orvis cataloged 2 or 3 different 8 1/2-foot models depending on year with 14/64, 15/64 or 16/64-ferrules. I have catalog transcripts on my database--scroll all the way through the serialized rods to find them and learn what was offered when.

I believe, but I'm not sure, that Orvis used 2 different shades of red nylon thread depending on production years. I don't know which thread, but other forum member will.

Some good photos sourced from the Internet showing the grip, inscription and both thread colors on one partially re-wrapped rod:

https://www.vintageflytackle.com/produc ... rod-76-5wt

Hope this is what you're after...

Best regards,
Greg

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Thank you. I made notes from the Orvis database. I am Sure its 16/64 now. As there is no serial number, I will have to guess on the age but i have a range. The reel seat is definitely replaced with all aluminum which means i will have to find a replacement as well. the cork is to say the least a great eye sore, with shaved and a fitted plastic thumb grip. replacement with a new grip will be easy based on pictures. Ferrules are original so that’s great. Good to know its nylon thread..just figuring out color

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Original Orvis reel seats are nearly impossible to find. At this point, with the serial number missing, wrong reel seat and butchered cork, I would just restore it as a good fishing stick. Maybe pull up a photo of another 99, get close to the red wrap and find a reel seat that resembles an original. I would not hesitate to put your favorite grip style on it as well.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

The earliest "99" rods were fitted with the Reeder-McGill aluminum reel seat like this one:
https://www.vintageflytackle.com/produc ... bamboo-rod

A big-fish rod like the 16/64 model may have been fitted with this:
https://www.vintageflytackle.com/collec ... bamboo-rod

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

My orvis modified rod looks like it has the reeder McGill reel seat. I Assumed that it would have been a wood insert reel seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Darn, It’s a knock off reel seat.. I think i will put a wood insert rosewood,walnut sliding seat. The reel has to be heavy as this rod was designed for 8/9 wt

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Is the rod actually inked as a "99"?, with the Reeder seat and no serial numbers perhaps its a kit rod, either way, a heavy, single tip 99 was then and remains now a fine fishing rod, I don't think there would be any harm in re-finishing to your preference and then go fishing. Todd

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Inked as an orvis impregnated with 99 below. The reel seat has to come off anyway to get at cork easily. Though I have seen way to get at cork replacement with bored rings that have been cut in half and shaping after gluing and clamping. Biggest issue now is what thread type to use. Gudebrod A but waiting for comments from orvis and on Tapatalk board. Pretty sure is #206

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

As some are saying, don’t obsess over the thread color. Restore it to your specs and go fishing. Value or history of rod will not be a loss or a gain.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Well for what it is worth I've worked on maybe 6 Orvis " 99" rods over the years and always found Gudebrod 326 "Scarlet" nylon size A with straight varnish to be a good match. Just remember it's always harder to match one new wrap to the old then to do a complete re-wrap and have it look good.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”