rod recommendation

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

JDJ

rod recommendation

Post by JDJ »

My wife has given my the green light to buy a cane rod for a retirement gift. I would like something in the 7'6"-8' range in a 4 weight and moderately fast. I thought I'd order a James Reid rod but he is taking orders for 2025. I'm new to bamboo and am clueless and overwhelmed by all of the options. I'm not interested in a collectors item, I'm looking for a good fishing rod. I could spend up to $1,500-1,600, but would prefer spending less. I have no idea how to determine a fair price, so would be grateful for any advice you might offer.

Thanks,

Jon

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: rod recommendation

Post by mer »

Wow. The chance to spend someone else's money for a change :) I'm only kidding.

I assume you currently fly fish? If so, I'm assuming graphite rods? Do you have one in the size and weight range already? If is it your favorite and what is it? Where are you fishing it? Different requirements between Eastern waters with a lot of tree cover and not much distance vs Western more open and windier.

My reasons for asking:
Moderately fast means 12 different things to 3 people. Telling us what kind of graphite rod you like helps us understand you and your casting stroke.

Off the bat, someone asks me for a 7'6" 4wt and I say "Payne 100 taper". But that is not moderately fast.
Moving the bending towards the tip (my definition of moderately fast), you wind up with something in a Dickerson (7613, but be careful exactly which one), maybe some of the Granger tapers. A properly done PHY Perfectionist taper is a very good 7'6" 4wt, not sure if it can be considered moderately fast.

Makers: Lots of good ones show up on this board. Timeline sounds like it is a driving factor (not wanting to wait 5 years). If you tell us where you are we may be able to point to someone close by that you can take a day and cast a bunch.

I'm not meaning to be an exhaustive list, but some that I would look at:
zhiarods (kermit on this board)
Jeff Pope (he has stuff in the for sale once in a while)
Dennis Stone (most look for his blanks, but he would probably do a rod)
Jim Reid, Chris Carlin, Tim Zietak are others but I'm not sure of their backlog.

Others will likely have different opinions on who to ask; unless you want a bespoke rod, don't rule out something from the For Sale here. A lot of good rods at reasonable price show up there.

JDJ

Post by JDJ »

Long-time fly fisherman and live in Washington State. Wind is a regular companion:) My favorite dry fly trout rods are a classic GLX 9' 4 weight and a Scott G 8'8" 5 weight.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Faster in cane will be the parabolics and semi paras, look for those makers — but origs are out of sight so for price look into the mods recreating them, and Dickerson clones. The South Bend 296, and two pc Heddons are good, moderately priced, faster rods. Under a thou will buy these.

Re fairness: check the seller’s list, there are a lot of choices, and the prices I see arent bad, some higher than others of course, but those tend to carry some top shelfers. Your search is at a more moderate level, and you hv a lot of choice from what Ive seen. The return privilege is one of the greatest things we have in our corner of the collecting world.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

A quick look at the Classifieds, AKSalmo has a few that would fit the bill, especially the first couple.

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

If at all possible, meeting up with a local maker or going to a gathering where you would have the opportunity to cast a number of rods back to back would be an excellent place to start. Of course that's not always an option, especially now, in which case return policies that allow you a few days of lawn casting can be your friend.

If somehow you do find the opportunity to cast several different rods I'd encourage you to at least try a 5wt as well. On many of the local small creeks I fish here in the southwest, as in your location, wind is almost always a factor. If it wasn't for the wind I'd be fishing a 4wt, but due to the wind I'll grab a 5 almost every time. If your reason for wanting a 4 is for delicate presentations don't be afraid to try a 5 in bamboo, you'll likely find you can present the fly just as delicately as with a lighter line wt graphite rod. Anyway just a friendly suggestion, I definitely don't want to steer you away from a 4 if that's what works best for you.

Finally regarding possible taper recommendations, if you have the chance I'd give a Payne 100H taper a try. Though often considered a 5wt, I have two (an original and a "clone") which to me seem happier as strong 4wts. Also, as previously mentioned, Dickerson and Granger tapers are often referred to as "moderately fast" and could be a good place to look.

Best of luck, and enjoy the journey!
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

+2 on AKsalmo Classified listings.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

+1 for Dennis Stone.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I would definitely consider Cris Carpenter's rods. I have cast quite a few and they are excellent casters, very nicely finished, and a bargain, in my opinion. They are definitely in your price range. They're hollowbuilt, which makes them a bit faster than comparable solid rods and also a bit lighter. Like buying from an unknown artist, buying from an up-and-coming rod maker is an opportunity to acquire something before the price catches up with the quality. Cris is also a super nice guy who's a pleasure to work with.

http://carpenterbrosbamboorods.blogspot.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

16pmd wrote:
06/22/20 17:03
I would definitely consider Cris Carpenter's rods. I have cast quite a few and they are excellent casters, very nicely finished, and a bargain, in my opinion. They are definitely in your price range. They're hollowbuilt, which makes them a bit faster than comparable solid rods and also a bit lighter. Like buying from an unknown artist, buying from an up-and-coming rod maker is an opportunity to acquire something before the price catches up with the quality. Cris is also a super nice guy who's a pleasure to work with.

http://carpenterbrosbamboorods.blogspot.com
I agree. I have three of Cris' rods and enjoy fishing them very much!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

JDJ

Post by JDJ »

What about Chris Carlin's rods? I have an opportunity from another board member to choose from a couple of his rods.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Chris Carlin does fine work. If there is something that fits your criteria I'm sure you'll enjoy owning and using one of his rods.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Northern Angler

Post by Northern Angler »

Mike Clark (South Creek Rods) lists a used DG Schroeder rod in excellent condition that you might be interested in.

Schroeder, D.G. 7' 6" 3/2 4wt. Quad
Excellent+
$1600

Original Bag & Tube
Serial Number 35003
Quad

https://www.southcreekltd.com/used/deta ... rodid=1177.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 01/26/21 18:18, edited 3 times in total.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Jon,

Perhaps you could give us a little more info about where you normally fish and where you think you might be fishing this rod? Methow Valley? Cle Elum? Rocky Ford Creek? Or? How about your preferred size of quarry and presentation type? Head hunting large trout with small flies? More nymphing work? All rounder? Do you have a preferred reel? How about a preferred line? That could help a lot for people offering guidance. Quite a few board members out your way. Sometimes people new to bamboo choose a length and line with an eye towards special occasions and what often happens is the rod is seldom fished.

Hoping we can help out...

poolhopping1
Guide

Post by poolhopping1 »

i would agree with dennis stone. he is in oregon so not that far away i would think. i've got 2 of his blanks and am happy with both. thanks cris

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

I agree with 16pmd and Flyman615 - Cris Carpenter makes excellent casting hollow built rods.

JDJ

Post by JDJ »

cdmoore wrote:
06/22/20 19:46
Jon,

Perhaps you could give us a little more info about where you normally fish and where you think you might be fishing this rod? Methow Valley? Cle Elum? Rocky Ford Creek? Or? How about your preferred size of quarry and presentation type? Head hunting large trout with small flies? More nymphing work? All rounder? Do you have a preferred reel? How about a preferred line? That could help a lot for people offering guidance. Quite a few board members out your way. Sometimes people new to bamboo choose a length and line with an eye towards special occasions and what often happens is the rod is seldom fished.

Hoping we can help out...
I repented of Rocky Ford a decade ago :) This will be a walk and wade dry fly rod and will get used mostly on the Methow and occasionally on the Yakima.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

I recently received my rod picked with the Yakima and Methow rivers in mind, as well as forays further east into Idaho, MT and Fernie...its an 8-1/2' LL8663 by Chris Carlin. Hollow built 6 wt, not quite as fast as his SH and LM tapers but versatile and capable with wind, large flies, indicator/weighted nymphs, yet is very pleasant to cast with great feel. I'm in Bothell if you ever want to give it a test cast. Ron. (and I only indulge in RFC on rare occasions having generally sworn it off as well!)

cti111
Guide

Post by cti111 »

If you’re in reasonable distance to the Issaquah area, I’d be more than happy to let you cast any of my cane. I own (or have owned) quite a few different makers & would be willing to share my thoughts. (PM me) I walk & wade 70% of the time & float 30% of the time in WA. I started fishing the methow when I was in 6th grade...
Last edited by cti111 on 07/01/20 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”