Value - Orvis Madison

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

mws463f

Value - Orvis Madison

Post by mws463f »

Recently bought a couple of bamboo Fly Rods at an "Estate Sale".
Was curious as to what they might be worth, and possibly "when" they were manufactured?

I looked up (Index) the forum on Madison Impregnated Bamboo rods, but... did NOT see
any information/value on the 6.5' 2-3/4 weight rods.

This rod is probably an 8 (according to your scale) -- see pics.
All Eyelets are in near-mint conditon (clean, and still shiny).
Only thing I see is a bit of tarnish on metal piece (handle).

Anyway...... just curious to find out a bit more information (Value, history, year made, etc..) on the Rod.

Thanks!

Mike

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Value - Orvis Madison

Post by ibookje »

Your rod seems to be in good condition.
The Madison models were generally the 'budget' model while the Battenkill were the higher end model with two tips. For the Madison rods Orvis also used cosmetically less higher grade bamboo.

You can look up the date of the rod made (using the serial number on the rod) in our member Greg Reynolds' fabulous Orvis database:
https://antiquerodandreels.com/index.php

The blue tube label tends to say it's built end 1960's to early 1970's.
The value I'd say somewhere around $400 +/- $50

mws463f

Post by mws463f »

Thank you very much for the feedback......... very insightful.
: )

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Your rod is the Madison version of the outstanding Flea taper. I agree with the upper range of the value provided by lbookje

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Wish I still had my Madison... after purchasing it used back in the 70s, I had an extra tip made for it... and than sold it... :-[

As already noted, Orvis sold these with one tip, and maybe not their best cane, but I have no way of saying that's true....

Regarding value, during the last couple decades I purchased several used Orvis Battenkills with two tips in the $400 to $600 range... that said, in recent years the value/used market on Battenkills has jumped up... I still think a used Battenkill is a far better buy/investment than new Orvis bamboo rods, but that's just me....

Ed

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Ed, that's for sure!
First the era of the Battenkills are considered the golden age of Orvis bamboo rods. Second at the used prices the value of the rod is solid. Not unusual to get the price you paid (unless you paid too much :) ) back when you sell it again.

The current bamboo rods from Orvis are probably just rods that are sold as retirement gifts...
Eperous wrote:
06/30/20 17:11
I still think a used Battenkill is a far better buy/investment than new Orvis bamboo rods, but that's just me....

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”