New (to me) rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Colston Newton
Guide

New (to me) rod

Post by Colston Newton »

Got a 7' 5 wt. Tonka Prince off Ebay for $150. It arrived today. All but pristine. Ferrules clean and pop. Decal mostly in place. Dead pinpoint accurate at 45 ft. (I haven't tried to stretch it yet.) Flamed. I'm pleased. Did I do good? (Images over at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1046581692343437 (GOTC group...me Gilmore and them.)

Tangiersound
Guide

Re: New (tp me) rod

Post by Tangiersound »

If you enjoy it you did great!!! These days $150 doesn't go very far.

Colston Newton
Guide

Post by Colston Newton »

Here are pix of the Tonka

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

Should be a fine rod!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

That is actually a very fun medium fast 5wt taper. I enjoyed the one I owned and it fished well with a DT5F peach. One thing I would highly recommend is add guides to the tip, I used Tom Morgans guide spacing chart and the improvement was very noticeable. These were low end production rods and you will actually improve the performance and increase the value of the rod by making your Price a better fishing rod. Enjoy it. I may still have the green thread in my office if it did not get passed to my daughter for stuffed animal making, let me look and I'll follow up with a PM if I still have some.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”