Fishing Alone in Yellowstone.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

mlarocco
Master Guide

Re: Fishing Alone in Yellowstone.

Post by mlarocco »

I have had three close encounters with moose. They are big, ugly creatures (compared to a horse) and can be unpredictable. A couple of years ago talking with a Gallatin National Forest Ranger he said they have more moose incidents each year than any other animal.

Another critter to give wide distance to in the park area is the bison. :eek

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Michael, I'm glad you are safe. This guy visited me on the Madison a while back. He was curious but did not appear aggressive. The photo was taken from my truck with a 70 mm lens to give an idea of how close he was.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

When in bear country, always fish with a friend.....that way if a bear attacks, you don't have to outrun the bear, only your friend.....

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

PT48 wrote:
06/29/20 18:54
You need to get the tourist hordes back into YNP!!
Check the webcam at the West Entrance at about 10:00 AM any morning. You will see the hordes.

Apparently, one of the genius tourons wanted a bison picture yesterday. She is now in the Idaho Falls hospital after getting within 10-feet of her subject, who then closed the distance with head down and horns pointed. That's Yellowstone. It's inhabitants never disappoint.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Eric,
Another flying touron? One would think the image of a buffalo throwing a person in the air,which is printed clearly on the leaflet they hand out at the gate, would be sufficient to warn people away. On my first trip this year I witnessed a family of 4 chasing a sow and cubs thru the lodgepole hoping for a photo op..no comment...
And I will agree there is definitely no shortage of visitors this year. However, if you hit the gates at 5:30am there is not a soul to be seen. I have decided to just fish the bighole over the long weekend. But thanks to the one brave soul who responded, maybe the following weekend?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

mlarocco wrote:
06/30/20 08:14
I have had three close encounters with moose. They are big, ugly creatures (compared to a horse) and can be unpredictable. A couple of years ago talking with a Gallatin National Forest Ranger he said they have more moose incidents each year than any other animal.

Yeh, but you never hear about a moose eating your liver while you’re still kicking and screaming.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Michael, it's good to hear that you are still with us! And, I think your decision not to fish alone in YNP sounds like a good one. And, notwithstanding all the advice you received above about having gotten all your bad luck out of the way at once, I note that I didn't read anything in your account about you running into a bison that day!

Rupert

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Brooks wrote:
06/30/20 12:32
mlarocco wrote:
06/30/20 08:14

Yeh, but you never hear about a moose eating your liver while you’re still kicking and screaming.
Ooo, that's how one of the bad scientists died in the first Jurassic Park (the book not the movie). Eviscerated by raptor as he flailed helplessly. Crichton's and Michael Connelly's bad guys always die real bad.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

snorider wrote:
06/30/20 12:21
Eric,
And I will agree there is definitely no shortage of visitors this year. However, if you hit the gates at 5:30am there is not a soul to be seen. I have decided to just fish the bighole over the long weekend. But thanks to the one brave soul who responded, maybe the following weekend?
FWIW, I just checked at 1:15 PM local Y'stone time, and there were only a few cars near the west gate. Not a very nice day there weatherwise, but . . . who knows.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Gosh Eric, I would have thought that CV would have decimated numbers in YNP this season, especially with the absence of overseas visitors. When I went in there in 2014 and 2018 I was gob-smacked by the crowds and fully understand my disappointment at not seeing a grizzly bear.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Hey PT48,
Next time I will take you fishing, we should see plenty of bears 8o
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

That is very kind of you Michael. Hellmtflies tried and came up short. You are not factoring in that I am old and you will be able to outrun me when Mr Grizz makes his charge are you?

TimM
Master Guide

Post by TimM »

Yikes! I've been too close for comfort with a couple of bears but have never been charged. I had a moose get gnarly on Isle Royale but there were plenty of trees to keep between us. On the whole I'll take the moose encounter over a bear any day!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

PT48 the thought never crossed my mind ;) . Besides... Old age and Treachery always overcomes youth and skill.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0kVgSPAkcg

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Sounds like you had a great day! Two generations of bear and moose and a healthy rainbow, I'll take that everyday...I've done the bears, moose, and healthy rainbow there too, but not all in the same day! It gets furry on some of the Gallatin tribs as well, always got my head on a swivel.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Snorider, you should definitely NOT buy lottery tickets. Glad you got away with your skin still on!

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

In one way or another I have had close encounters in the YNP or close by (and Glacier NP) that are similar to your day, and with all the species you dealt with. Also a close encounter cougar episode in central Oregon bird hunting country .

My son and I hit a black bear (actually he hit us)one night in a rental car between Hebgen and Last Chance . Created a bit of stir in that area, and our friends Brad and Dionne kept the paper story about it posted in the Grub Stake for decades.

Actually I'm more scared of the on -coming drivers than the critters.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I may not have read all posts in this thread but I was wondering if the 1st encounter could have been avoided if a noise announcer (bell) was being worn?

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

If it was me, just smell the bear poop for bear spray or take a stick and stir it up looking for the bear bell.LOL

oldgoat54
Sport

Post by oldgoat54 »

A few year back I talked to a power line crew near the Yellowstone river. The story's they told about animal encounters made my blood run cold. Seems the park service uses the ROW for the lines to dump the roadkill. Two guys were inspecting the lines on a Razor and a beer reached out of the forest and removed one of then from the machine. That ended my fantasy of working in the park.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”