5' Orvis Mitey Mite

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

5' Orvis Mitey Mite

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Just picked up an Orvis Mitey Mite, super mint condition! tube, label, sock, rod, all appear, if used very limited! the cork/ring reel seat shows no compression marks from the rings, I've only used the rod 3 times an not for more than an hr each time and you could see slight marks from the rings, the rod was made in 1970, the label looks as if it were placed on the tube today! I bought the rod prior to doing any research, while waiting to receive it I started doing some research and it wasn't very flattering to say the least, most people commented that, yeah probably have to find the correct line and leader combo to make it work! well, Orvis recommends a WF5F line, I just happened to have an almost new one, being that the rod is so short and it's firm! I wouldn't think you'd want to have a long leader! I started with a 5' leader, 12" of .017, 6 in ea of .015, .013, .011, .009, .007 and 18" of .006, casts like a dream, no problem false casting with dries, no problem reaching out while swinging wet flies, strip in some line, pull back 1 backcast and fire the line forward, I love it! perfect medium to small stream rod, I've extended my tippet to 24" plus inches, still works good, I mean you have to use fly sizes within reason, I'm not going to use weighted nymphs, size 12 or smaller dries, wets, nymphs, I'm happy!!!ImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on FlickrImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on FlickrImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on FlickrImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 5' Orvis Mitey Mite

Post by ibookje »

Nice!
It’s a specialty rod for sure but it’s probably a lot of fun. Just like what bamboo is about.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

You'll be surprised at what this rod can do. Have a ball!

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

I guess you have one teter, thanks for the encouragement, I believe I will be enjoying this little gem!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

My #2 son just brought his over from Alberta. It is a fun rod. Up here perfect for grayling and small stream brookies. He has the small lightweight. Nice combo.

Stuckeysflat
Sport

Post by Stuckeysflat »

I have one from 1973, I built it when Orvis was selling kits and I think it cost me $69 and another $40 or so for an upside down CFO III. I've been tempted to sell or trade it a bunch of times over the years and then I take it out on the stream and fall in love with it all over again, so I guess at this point I'll keep it. Nice find!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I just joined the Mitey Mite club as well. My rod built in December of 1966 just arrived today. Mine, which also looks unfished, is marked for a DT4, which is what I just lawn cast it with (reel in my pocket as only my screwback CFO III fits within the rings. Update, after being more forceful, I was able to get some reels to fit) and it is everything that I was looking for in a very short rod for specialized applications. I hope to try it on some very small water with a thick overhead canopy this weekend. The grip on mine isn't even 4" long. I may just have to see if my 4 1/2 year old grandson can cast it as well! I don't get what the complainers are talking about this being a pool cue. Cast of just 10' or less and even up to 25' were no problem whatsoever.

Here is a shot of the grip next to my Glenn Bracket Sweetgrass "tourist" grip and a Madison Flea for comparison

I tried my Flea tip hoping that I might get a third rod - a 5'9" Ultralight out of the two as a bonus, but alas, the flea tips are too big. Now should I have one flea tip lapped to fit the Mitey Mite? Not yet!

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/30/21 18:21, edited 2 times in total.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I believe that "mitey mite" #59369 came from a deceased forum members collection of pristine Orvis rods. It's the best one I've encountered.

A cut & paste from my notes:

The "mitey-mite" is a 10/64-ferrule, 1 ½-oz rod with a fast-action taper for 4 weight line. It was introduced in the 1967 catalog as a single tip rod and made through 1974.

In fiscal year 1967 (10/1/66 to 9/31/67), Orvis sold 75 mitey-mites. In fiscal year 1968 (10/1/67 to 9/27/68), 61 were sold. Thirty-seven were in inventory on 9/28/68 and none appear to have been made in 1969. Sales for this niche model likely dropped in each of the successive production years.

A high-grade limited production "Mitey Mite Special Edition" (notice the capitals and lack of hyphen) built on the original taper with two tips and a leather case was cataloged in 2007, 2009 and 2011-2014.

While not rare, the “mitey-mite is scarce on the secondary market.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That's a nice acquisition, Jerzy. Enjoy!

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Thanks Kean and Mr Reynolds, I love the rod, wish I would’ve got the same deal Joe did, I was following the bidding I couldn’t believe the bidding stalled for over 4 days, that rod looks as pristine as mine! Great pickup Joe, I agree with Joe rod got a bad rap on reviews!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Jerzy, your rod and tube are very nice, just like you would have found in Manchester 50 years ago. I would like to purchase more rods in pristine condition that come in tubes without labels if I can get the same discount. I was also in play on the 7' Orvis, so couldn't go much higher than my winning bid.

Cheers,
Joe

Gnarl78

Post by Gnarl78 »

Nice pickup!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”