Vulgar language on the forum

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

ted patlen
Master Guide

Re: Vulgar language on the forum

Post by ted patlen »

Regional customs also come into play.

I am originally from North Jersey, next to New York City, which is considered by many as a "hot spot" for blue language, BUT, some of the terms are used to greatly enhance the meaning of the phrase and not to embarrass or humiliate. When, where and how language is used is extremely important. In short some see it as vulgar but some don't. As I understand there are two states where the term, "taxes" is a very dirty word.

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

Sad commentary on where this forum is these days that this is one of the more active threads.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

And pull up yr pants.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Why? Why? Why? Is this even being discussed? Forum rules. Period! Twenty-three posts on a no-brainier! For crying-out loud! I'm no choirboy, but decorum under certain...and most...circumstances is not only prudent, but SHOULD be obligatory in a society that could really benefit from proper role models. Manners really do make the man, and if its that hard NOT to hit the computer keys to express an expletive, then a little self examination is definitely in order.

John

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Certainly I agree with all the above comments about language on the forum. But having said that, I once sat at the foot of the master of creative swearing, Tom Hennessy of Bangor, Maine. We bird hunted together, and then enjoyed a few in his studio. That man could come up with some of the most amazing combinations of words the world has ever heard uttered. I was in awe (I swear a lot.) In fact, to that end, a couple friends related to me that they were discussing the most used phrases some of their salmon fishing friends used frequently and came to me. Let's just say they hit the nail on the head. Oh, and I'm not around children much. At all.
Gary

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

As I stated earlier... this thread is so embarrassing, as is the rule. I don't even curse when I write here, I just find the expectation of such censorship snobby and weird.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

DaveNJ wrote:
07/28/20 19:03
As I stated earlier... this thread is so embarrassing, as is the rule. I don't even curse when I write here, I just find the expectation of such censorship snobby and weird.
Well, like I said before, if you don't like the rules, there are other venues that will probably accept your behavior. This place isn't one of them. And it's not a democracy, where the mob make the rules. Membership on this forum is a privilege, and that privilege is maintained by following the forum rules.

The only thing embarrassing is your attitude.

Mark

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

As a wise man once said:
"I fart in your general direction, Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

The fact that folks are giving Mark grief over this is puzzling, nay bewildering. If you wouldn't say it to your grandma, why say it here? If you would say it to your grandma, perhaps you should reevaluate your family?

Perhaps "you" wouldn't use that language here, but others may. So this thread originally seemed to be a reminder to police your language or the mods will, but has turned into/is veering into ""How dare you censor my language".

Folks, don't go there. Really don't. Quickest way for the forum to disappear is for everyone to start taking it out on moderators and what have been frankly polite requests.

The above is my opinion (except for the Monty Python bit), belongs to no one else.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I used to be on the Drake board, for 5 minutes.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Mark

Just lock this thread.
This has nothing to do with bamboo rods, the love of bamboo rods, the making of bamboo rods, or anything about bamboo rods. This is a First Amendment Rights ballyhoo, and if certain people feel so strongly that they can say or do whatever they want where ever they want...well, I got news for them. Try telling the boss just how you feel about him (or her) and see how far it gets you. Grow up or find a street corner to wave your placard on if you find proper decorum on this forum offensive to your sensibilities. Oh, and by the way, before I get any threatening PM from any one individual, I'm not singling anybody out. I'm just speaking in generalities. (Good Grief! I just put a disclaimer on this to try to keep away the hate mail!) Trying to behave dignified in today's society sure does have its complications.

John Niemann

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

embarrassing

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Not trying to beat a dead horse or upset anyone, however I'd like to repeat that some folks get upset and some don't. To paraphrase Magpie and myself, just what words are "vulgar"? I am not asking for a list considering that one word could be insulting to one and not to others. Maybe language that wouldn't be tolerated in schools? Again, curious.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

ted patlen wrote:
07/29/20 15:26
Not trying to beat a dead horse or upset anyone, however I'd like to repeat that some folks get upset and some don't. To paraphrase Magpie and myself, just what words are "vulgar"? I am not asking for a list considering that one word could be insulting to one and not to others. Maybe language that wouldn't be tolerated in schools? Again, curious.
Language that you wouldn't use in church, in front of small children, or in any civil discussion with multiple people.

Ralph even made a post of what civil behavior on this forum is all about, in the Rules and FAQ's forum:

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=56863

Mark

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Looks like it's time to beat on the drum again. I've edited a bunch of posts lately from a lot of different people using vulgarities in the posts. It needs to stop right now. Vulgarities with special characters included. This is all called out in the forum rules.

Anymore of this will result in a temporary ban for the members who continue doing this.

Mark

Return to “Forum Announcements”