Any news (update) on Bob Taylor ?

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Any news (update) on Bob Taylor ?

Post by Trout120-1 »

How is Bob doing ? Is he still making rods ??

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: Any news (update) on Bob Taylor ?

Post by Pentalux »

Here's a pick that his wife posted on Facebook back in may with the new shop _ thanks to all who contributed to his GoFundMe account! You made it happen as insurance has still not come through with any money
ImageImage

Unfortunately though it sounds like the loss of all the things that were in it continues to be really challenging - items from his parents as well as the rod building stuff. That he no longer has a single rod of his own is also making it really really tough to want to fish much too - wish I had an R.D. Taylor rod I could sell him - anyone? He's got a Pentalux he can throw in the deal.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Great picture and update !
Thanks !

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Further update - I will wait until it all goes through but just want to say how grateful I am that there are still kind people in the world and that we just might have Bobby fishing with one of his own rods again.

On a separate note: If anyone has any pull at the CFFC&M (Catskills Fly Fishing Center and Museum) see what you can do for Bobby and his award. As many know he was inducted into the museum's Hall of Fame last November. One of the museums most formal events at $50 or $60 a ticket and there wasn't an open seat in the room. To point, it was a tremendous honor that really means a lot to Bob. It is unequivocally one of the things he is most proud of. Sadly both the certificate and the award were also lost in the fire.

He was told in December that it would be replaced. Jack sent another certificate a few weeks ago (original was matted and framed) that Bobby's wife JoAnn will get framed but still no award. My understanding is that it has been at the museum now for some time but they are waiting to get some type of photo OP or additional PR out of it first.

The man lost every single physical thing that matters to him. The few things he had from his parents. Every single tool and jig he used to craft his rods. Every single fishing item he owned - every single rod, reel, fly, leader and hook. Every rifle and all his ammo - he literally lost everything. Few people can comprehend what such a loss in one's life is like. To fully replace would take another lifetime but that award represents this life, his life and it would be a tremendously powerful physical reminder and psychological boost for him to have again.

Bob Taylor is a Legend and we all know that but he is also one of, if not the kindest and most considerate person to ever split cane. He deserves better - please help if you can.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

That's just heartbreaking. Perhaps if someone has a Taylor rod he'd like to sell, we can take up a CFRF collection to raise enough lucre to get Bob one of his rods. I believe there're enough of us here to do it. So, who wants to go?

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

billems wrote:
11/02/20 13:58
That's just heartbreaking. Perhaps if someone has a Taylor rod he'd like to sell, we can take up a CFRF collection to raise enough lucre to get Bob one of his rods. I believe there're enough of us here to do it. So, who wants to go?
I'll pitch in.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

I’ll help out!

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Be happy to supply a line or two for whatever rod you guys come up with.

Tom
406 Fly Lines

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

I’m here and willing to help in whatever way I can. Hopefully there’s a rod he built out there somewhere that we can get back to him.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

That's a great idea/cause. I'd be happy to contribute again.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

I lost 2 of my favorite Leonard’s in his fire a Maxwell and a mills standard from 1913. My loss palls compared to Bob’s. He lost well all his stuff. I would be happy to contribute. I think we all should. Bob is a super nice guy and he should have a rod or two to fish.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Hung out with Bobby yesterday and although the museum has still not bothered to replace his HOF award I am happy to say he now has one of his own 7 1/2" 5wt Hunt pattern rods to fish with. We're planning to meet up again in a few weeks and wet a line.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Glad he got one of his to use, Rob.

flyflkr
Guide

Post by flyflkr »

Does Bob need any flies? If so does anyone know what patterns or type of flies he likes to fish? I'd be happy to tie some for him. Thanks.

Doug

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Great report. Thanks for the update!

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Thanks for the update! It’s great to see his eyes light up in the photos.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Is Bob still making rods ??

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I watched Chasing the Taper for the umpteenth time last night and you can tell that Bob has the respect of the other rod makers in the film. It made me think about him and wondering if anyone who knows him could post an update on him if appropriate. Has he been able to acquire the tools needed to get back to building? He was really the star of that film IMO.

Jeff

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Jeff, I couldn't agree more. All great rod makers in the film but Bobby is the only one who's life was not only completely dedicated to the craft, his entire livelihood came from it. No trust fund, no previous job with a pension, not a previously successful lawyer, car dealer or having a financially relieving wife. Just his hands and the cane. Was always curious why they didn't include Walt Carpenter in the film as he is perhaps the ultimate example of a rod maker who "chased the taper" - said to me the day he stops learning from the cane is the day he stops building -- and although he no longer sells them he is still in his shop having at it. The craftsman's life as he calls it. Bobby epitomizes it too. Sadly though Bobby will not be returning to the bench.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Pentalux wrote:
05/13/22 11:00
Sadly though Bobby will not be returning to the bench.
Sorry to read this. Setting aside the economic issues starting a new shop from scratch, I am sure it would be really difficult emotionally to build rods without tools he used for many decades.I am glad he has one of his rods to fish as you posted over a year ago.

I have also watched Chasing the Taper a few times. It is mesmerizing. I really appreciate learning these makers personalities, something that it is not easy to know. In my wish list, I include rods from Bobby, Menscer, and Robbins since I watched the movie for the first time. I do have a Robbins rod now, so I am down to two makers.

I hope Bobby can enjoy fishing these days.

Tight Lines

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”