Leonard 8' Tournament

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

fisheye444
Master Guide

Leonard 8' Tournament

Post by fisheye444 »

Hi - I came across this beautiful rod. Could use a little work as some of the wraps are dry and showing age. Otherwise it is in great condition. Would like to know if it is possible to tell what model this is. I will try to weigh it at the post office, but for now I don't know. Has full intermediates and "Tournament" on the back. Could it be a 50DH?

Would also like to see what price range it would go for in this condition.

ImageL full by Brian Morrow, on Flickr

ImageL Seat by Brian Morrow, on Flickr

ImageL cap by Brian Morrow, on Flickr

ImageL Tourn by Brian Morrow, on Flickr

ImageL Agate by Brian Morrow, on Flickr

ImageL Sig by Brian Morrow, on Flickr

Thanks in advance

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard 8' Tournament

Post by jeffkn1 »

Weight? Ferrule sizes?

fisheye444
Master Guide

Post by fisheye444 »

Ferrules are Sz 16 & sz 11, if that helps narrow it down. Getting weight today at post office. Thanks again.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The signature wraps appear to have been redone at some point.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Interesting rod. Does it have the patent date under the welt of the female butt ferrule?

Rod appears to have been redone at some point. It has newer guides and the wraps look newer as well. (Newer than a rod with intermediates would normally have). Those ferrules are pretty big, most of these models, including the 50DF, would be 15/10, exceptions being the Hewitt, Hunt, and the 4099. Only the Hewitt would have had intermediates, and its normal ferrule sizes would be 16/10. I'm interested in what others have to say.

fisheye444
Master Guide

Post by fisheye444 »

Yes, I agree it has most likely been rewrapped at some point. It weighs in a 4oz.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

So, I do not know much about Leonards, but the stamped frame agate does not seem to be correct?? And yes, the wraps look off as well....not bad, just not period Leonard....if that makes sense?

Paul

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”