Vintage Fly Identification

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

greyreefer5
Guide

Vintage Fly Identification

Post by greyreefer5 »

Can someone identify these beautiful patterns? Found in this fly box which I believe to be at least 100 yrs old. Any thoughts on the materials used would be interesting.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Vintage Fly Identification

Post by henkverhaar »

Jermyn Street eh? That's where the hairdressers, chemists/apothecaries, and perfumers were 100 ago (and some still are - such as Taylor of Old Bond Street, and Floris; D.R. Harris are around the corner, in St James's Street). Probably since all of the shops in this area provided to the bigwigs and hobnobs of the time, seeing that this is the traditional center of government and royal London...

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

Sorry, lost me on that walk down memory lane----english box?

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

The brass plaque you show in your first pic gives an address in Jermyn St, London. I assume this goes with the flies, and if so, I'd guess that the shop/purveyor that provided them was located there?

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

Entirely possible, or someone may have bought a box there. The flies shown have variation from fly to fly so I suspect they were tied by the owner, not commercially. Still looking for an I.D.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Why do you think they're 100 years old? The hooks appear to be post WWII

Materials are G pheasant tippet tail, red/orange wool or floss, peacock rib, badger hackle throat, Am pheasant and peacock fibers as a wing in the first pair. Second set GP tippets tail, body?, dyed yellow Guinea throat hackle, wing could be dark turkey or G pheasant dark feathers and peacock strands.

Agreed that the tyer was a non professional due to the inconsistency, tied them the way he/she liked them

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I'd at least say, or think, that those flies were tied for fishing for Atlantic Salmon as my best guess. I know lots of guys who tie them and sometimes they just put the fly together with what they have sitting in front of them! Who knows what they call them?

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”