Tight fitting reel bands

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

rapidcreeksteve

Tight fitting reel bands

Post by rapidcreeksteve »

I have a relatively new, Payne 96, 7 foot rod which I absolutely love. This past weekend I was fishing on the Tongue River in Wyoming and got caught n the rain. It would appear that the maple reel seat has swollen making it virtually impossible to slide the bands over the reel seat. I actually had to pry the rings over the seat of the reel to release it. Has anyone ever encountered this? If allowed to dry out will the wood shrink back to its original size? Any suggestions regarding what to do in the future when the rod gets wet?

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tight fitting reel bands

Post by Tim Anderson »

Normally the wood will shrink back to its original dimensions when thoroughly dry. It could crack, but that is unlikely. It is very difficult to waterproof such an insert that is on the rod. Rubbing it with a finish like Tru-Oil will help it shed water a bit more than now. The next time it happens, leave the reel in place, let the rod dry out in a warm room overnight, and the sliding bands should come off easily.

Tim

rapidcreeksteve

Re: Tight fitting reel bands

Post by rapidcreeksteve »

Thank you for your insights and recommendations.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”