Help needed

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

6weight

Help needed

Post by 6weight »

I have an 8ft. rod that needs to be shipped from N.Y. to Sweetgrass Rods to have an impossibly stuck ferule unstuck. Will carriers like USPS or UPS ship such an item? I'm thinking of inserting the rod inside a pool noodle inside a pic case. I imagine this will cost me dearly, but I don't seem to have a choice. Any advice would be appreciated.

lestrout1
Guide

Re: Help needed

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo 6w
Since you are in NY (I know it's a big state), your best bet is to jump down to Hancock and visit Dennis Menscer. I had an impossibly stuck ferrule myownself, and several rodmakers and generally handy folks had as much luck as I had to dislodge it - which is to say, none at all. I tried all the tricks, and when ice cubes, heat guns, etc. failed, I was on the point of going to dry ice.

A few minutes with his special process and it was free. He said it's a big year for stuck ferrules. Maybe it's the COVID? LOL. While you are there, take the time to cast a few of his sticks, right there on the banks of the Delaware. Your rod taste is a lot like mine: Winstons, Sweetgrass. But you will love his very refined actions.

tl
les

6weight

Post by 6weight »

I got the rod unstuck by placing an ice pack over it and 1 under for a couple of hours. A hard pull popped it apart. I learned something.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. One plastic ice pack under and one on top of the male ferrule for the same couple of hours, followed by heating the female for a few seconds with a hair dryer, and the rod came apart quite easily.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”