Cleaning your ferrules

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

AlexP
Master Guide

Re: Cleaning your ferrules

Post by AlexP »

Caneghost wrote:
08/16/20 08:54
Most of the rodmakers I talk to recommend denatured alcohol to clean both ferrules, then drying them. Do not get it on the varnish! Lubricants will attract dirt and grit they say and will increase wear.
Very timing topic as I was having a hard time with two rods... I visited Steve Sobieniak at Root River Rod Co in Lanesbore, MN a couple days ago. He was kind enough to show me how to clean ferrules and he stated exactly the same recommendations quoted above. Denatured alcohol, don't get it on the varnish, and no lubricants.

He used a paper towel versus a qtip, but very similar to Marc Aroner's tutorial.

Tight Lines

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Did he say and also use ‘ soap ‘ ?
I wasn't prepared for that.

after Q tip / before plug insertion
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Just say NO to nose grease!!! Terrible stuff. Anyway, I thought this went out with the 50's. :)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Hellmtflies wrote:
06/03/23 09:13
Just say NO to nose grease!!! Terrible stuff. Anyway, I thought this went out with the 50's. :)
Same here. No “precious bodily fluids” on ferrules.

rkybob

Post by rkybob »

Anybody still use Ivory (bar) soap before assembly?

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

rkybob wrote:
10/18/23 15:59
I never have, I've always been in the dry-fit camp. If you have good ferrule fit, I don't see the need to use Ivory soap, paraffin wax, beeswax, or anything else on my ferrules. I clean my ferrules with DNA once or twice a season to remove oxidation and I keep a pair of rubber jar lid grippers in my vest and another pair in my reel bag for those cold or wet days.

Sash
Guide

Post by Sash »

Capt. Frank wrote:
08/15/20 09:53
Don't! Nose grease has salts and other bad things which can harm ferrules.
It is what Hardys in Pall Mall used to recommend for their cane rod ferrules: I was rather surprised when the salesman told me!

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

It is what Hardys in Pall Mall used to recommend for their cane rod ferrules:
They told me the same thing back in 1977 on Pall Mall. Maybe they wanted to ensure they had costly repairs after a few seasons (LOL). I wasn't "in" to bamboo back then but when the guy showed me a bamboo rod he made that comment. It was definitely not your every-day fishing shop. All sales people wearing suites and ties, very "upper crust" I say. ;)

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

rkybob wrote:
10/18/23 15:59
I did, and the ferrules on one of my rods still got stuck...as in I couldn't get the mid/butt apart for two weeks. You can read about my travails in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=43714
GerardH wrote:
10/18/23 17:05
I never have, I've always been in the dry-fit camp. If you have good ferrule fit, I don't see the need to use Ivory soap, paraffin wax, beeswax, or anything else on my ferrules. I clean my ferrules with DNA once or twice a season to remove oxidation and I keep a pair of rubber jar lid grippers in my vest and another pair in my reel bag for those cold or wet days.
One of my rods will not come apart if I use a dry fit. The mid/butt ferrule slides together with a precision fit that indicates high quality, but it won't come apart after an hour of casting. I even sent the rod back to the maker to get the ferrules lapped, but no improvement. Now, I have three waxes that I use on all my ferrules: Silver Trout Ultra Tight Ferrule Wax (UTFW), Silver Trout FerruLube, and beeswax. Depending on the tightness of the dry ferrule fit on the rod and the temperatures outside, I use one of those three waxes, and sometimes I'll use a little bit of two of them. I will never assemble the problem rod without wax, and if it ever gets stuck again, I'll saw it in half and send it back to the maker--that's how frustrating the stuck ferrule is.

I clean the ferrules with IPA a terry cloth towel and q-tips.

dlturp

Post by dlturp »

Renaissance Wax Polish is the best I have ever used.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”