Walt Carpenter Payne Rod Co?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Walt Carpenter Payne Rod Co?

Post by firehole »

What was the tenure of Walt at the EF Payne Rod Co?
Thanks,
Dennis

hoppy
Sport

Re: Walt Carpenter Payne Rod Co?

Post by hoppy »

Left Leonard 1975. Payne 1975 - 1978. Returned to Leonard 1978. These are the dates that Walt told me when I was visiting his shop one time. Hopefully I wrote them down correctly.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Thanks hoppy.
Dennis

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I find it kind of hard to parse that out from the published sources. Keane's book provides that by the mid- 1960s, Tom Bailey was the only veteran craftsman in the shop with Jim. p. 60. Yet Schweibert's Trout notes that, after Jim passed away, Gladding permitted Jim's apprentice David Decker to continue making rods under the the Payne trademark, along with the fittings maker, Tom Bailey. p. 106. Dick Spurr's Classic Bamboo Rodmakers, Past and Present, says that Walt went there after 5 years at Leonard and became the master and manager for the Payne Company until its final closing in 1979. A.J. said Gladding continued the Payne line until the mid 70s before closing the operation. p. 149. A post in the classified ads recently indicated that Walt worked with Decker. Hopefully, someone will have more personal knowledge.

Someone beat me with the more knowledge while I was typing!

Hoagy's wonderful 2010 book, 8 by Carmichael, also documents that Walt came in 1975. p.102.
Last edited by headwaters on 09/30/20 10:12, edited 2 times in total.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Thanks headwaters
Dennis

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

The last folks that owned Payne was a group of guys out of Texas. Brooks Baldwin was the head of the group. I started to make my visits to the Payne factory in the late 70's. Decker was gone by then and Carpenter too. Seems that there were a number of " back door sales "during that time. Not by Decker. A rodmaker named Jay Browan ran the shop. Mostly for repairs. Not many new one's going out. Carpenter then went down to Leonard until Johnson Wax fired him.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

A gentleman named Dave Holloman out in Oregon bought Payne at the end and moved everything out there. I believe he still runs it. But remember, he only bought the name along with some machinery.

oquassa

Post by oquassa »

An obit in today's Bend Bulletin (Oregon) indicates Dave Holloman passed away August 16, 2022. I tried visiting his shop several times last spring and it was never open.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”