FYI

This forum is for the discussion of photographic equipment used to photograph fish, tackle and flies. Please share with us what you use to do this.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

FYI

Post by Gnome »

The modern digital cameras keep a record of what is done to the photographs and this is called metadata, you can see if the image has been edited/monkeyed with by going to properties and then click on metadata, Amazing the things these cameras tell us if we know where to look. Lots of information out there if you are willing to dig a wee bit. So when anyone has questions concerning the validity of a photograph, this is a way to confirm or deny what has been done to the image.

Cheers from da cave

Jeff

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: FYI

Post by henkverhaar »

Gnome wrote:
10/09/20 08:13
The modern digital cameras keep a record of what is done to the photographs and this is called metadata, you can see if the image has been edited/monkeyed with by going to properties and then click on metadata, Amazing the things these cameras tell us if we know where to look. Lots of information out there if you are willing to dig a wee bit. So when anyone has questions concerning the validity of a photograph, this is a way to confirm or deny what has been done to the image.

Cheers from da cave

Jeff
Note that most if not all phones, and a significant subset of modern cameras also include GPS coordinates in the metadata. Nice if you want to remember exactly where you took that photograph. Less so when you post that picture online, without editing out the metadata (or at least the location data), and other people will use that to crash you secret honey hole. Downright bummer if you show a picture of a valuable object (again forgetting to edit out the location data), and some lowlife uses it to establish the location of said object as part of their plan to obtain it by unlawful means. Lesson: always edit out the metadata before posting pictures in public - unless revealing location can't hurt.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

I posted that because I was accused WRONGLY of fraudulently editing photos showing me throwing 2" or less tall loops, Was asked for proof I gave it and I am still waiting for recognition/apologies (which I will never get even though I gave the proof I was asked for!!!) from several members that will not admit I am capable of doing what I say I can do. The photos were not edited in any way.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Hi Jeff,

For the record, I did take issue with your 2" loop claim, but not with your photos. In fact I'm sure they weren't edited, why would you?

As far as what the pictures show, I see an excellent wind cheating cast, done sidearm which would get your line "under the wind", which is really helpful in many instances. As far as a 2" loop goes, it's pretty hard to tell since all the casts show a sidearm position. In fact, most of the pics show a tailing loop, which you probably didn't have, but the camera angle seems to show it. The only way I know to accurately show the loop height would be to have the casting plane perpendicular to the ground and camera person.

Exaggerating is part of fishing, I'm cool with that. But being belligerent towards folks who gently question you, that's not so cool.

Have a good day, tight loops and tight lines.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

And once again Paul is saying I can not do it and it is just an exaggeration, even though I gave him the proof he asked for.

the slight angle of the rod out of the vertical plane allows the loops to tail without tangling due to the angle of the rod tip being out and NOT BEING perfectly vertical. the one picture shows a section of the loop parallel with the upper fence rail with one line diameter separating the two line sections of the loop. This shows a loop well less than 2 bloody inches. Try throwing a 2-foot loop in a hard wind with any accuracy, Good luck with that.

During the time I was teaching casting, I always tried to emphasize that line and loop control are the foundation of the cast. To become a good fly fisherman you should be able to control your line in all angles and all planes and at the same time (and best is with both hands!!), you should be able to cast at will any of the three main loop types I.E. open, tight or a perfect loop, and a tailing loop. This takes practice and when done regularly will allow you to become a better caster. Some people claim 1-2" tall loops are impossible, just because they can not cast a loop that tight does not mean it is impossible. As was shown in the locked thread about casting in the wind, once again there is no magical one rod that will do that for you but practice and learning line and loop control will allow you to fish in hard sustained winds on big or small waters. and the photos of me doing just that were not altered in any way. And that is no exaggeration. :eek ;)

and shorttip sure did not attack this post the way he attacked mine in the same thread;

Re: Small stream/strong winds rod recs
Post by DrLogik » 10/01/20 02:31

A two inch loop really isn't that hard to accomplish. Just tighten your grip and punch your hand forward very late in the cast toward the target and let it come to a snapping stop and let the hand bounce up a little at the end. The line will roll out and about the time it gets to the two inch loop size, the line doubles under itself and bingo, you get a tailing loop that lets your fly land in a pile cast. It's a very effective way to present a free-floating, tangled line to wary trout in windy conditions.

And if angled out of the vertical the tailing portion passes by to the side and does not tangle.

Return to “Photography”