Bamboo flooring

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

overmywaders2
Guide

Bamboo flooring

Post by overmywaders2 »

We had the main vertical drain from an upstairs bathroom develop a 30" crack. The graywater got under the floating bamboo floors in the upstairs bath, the downstairs bath, the kitchen, and the dining room. The insurance company is replacing all those floors and more. Anyway, I got a good opportunity to examine the method of assembly of high quality bamboo flooring. The final product is 7/8th inch thick (approx).

Has anyone done anything with this material?
regards,
Reed
www.overmywaders.com

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bamboo flooring

Post by bugslinger »

Walked on it....

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It also burns really well except the finish isn’t great to breathe.

Looking at the power fiber density you can see why it is used for floors, cutting boards, spoons and the like.

Maybe you could use it for making jigs - maybe even forms - or ferrule plugs. But not suitable for rods.

How cool would it be to make bamboo rods with bamboo forms!

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

I used it for a hexagonal rod tube. ;)
r :)

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

I think Jeff Hatton took a good look at it a while ago came to the same conclusions above. Not for rods, rod cases it will work.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That was obviously flooring from a fair-to-middlin' supplier—it wasn't hollowed! :lol
Joking aside, I love the bamboo rods tube idea, and that's a beauty.

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

Haven't tried it myself, but I believe people have stacked up and glued pieces of it, bored and turned the stack to make a reel seat with interesting texture.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

bugslinger wrote:
10/22/20 19:35
Walked on it....
Examined it as a potential material for the deck of a surfboard - and decided that the thin single thickness sheets were too fragile at the glue joints for this...At least for handling, if not when actually incorporated into a finished board. For lack of Paulownia (here in NL), and considering Abachi to be too soft, we went for Yellow Cedar instead.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

overmywaders2 wrote:
10/22/20 19:25
We had the main vertical drain from an upstairs bathroom develop a 30" crack. The graywater got under the floating bamboo floors in the upstairs bath, the downstairs bath, the kitchen, and the dining room. The insurance company is replacing all those floors and more. Anyway, I got a good opportunity to examine the method of assembly of high quality bamboo flooring. The final product is 7/8th inch thick (approx).

Has anyone done anything with this material?
yes, sir; my rod shop is furnished with cane and wicker tables, chairs, cabinets.

regards, jim w

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”