Rod tube rack

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Rod tube rack

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Does anyone make a nice, wood rod tube rack that sits on the floor and can hold about a dozen tubes?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rod tube rack

Post by Flyman615 »

Some of us have constructed this utilitarian and sturdy rod tube rack from two antique soda bottle crates and find it very useful and practical.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

That looks good, but I was hoping to find something ready made.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

wiesent
Sport

Post by wiesent »

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't help you with something ready-made either. However, here is a little inspiration for you. I have finished this today.

Best regards,
Hannes

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

All good suggestions! There used to be someone who sold tube racks, knocked down, you just assembled the "legs" and all set. Haven't seen one in quite a while.

This is a cheap folding bookcase from amazon or a discount store, "solid wood". A quick layout and a few minutes with a hole saw, done! Still folds up so it's even portable.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

I have no experience with them, but Stoney Creek stands caught my eye. They make some very nice stands that your significant other will not mind having in the house. Not cheap, but look to be well made.

http://www.stoneycreekflytying.com/fly_rod_stands.htm

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I build these and have built several for forum members. Totally flexible to the size of the tube holes as well as the number of them.

BTW, the blog post I did on how I built the first (or was it the second?) rack (here:https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/20 ... -rack.html) has been visited 5,419 times, and the majority of those views came from members of this forum (fun how the blog software keeps track of neat things like that)

Gary

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I have a couple of Gary's racks - they are the best! Handsome, well-made and solid pieces of furniture. He makes them to fit the sizes of your tubes and in several finishes.

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Hey Kevin
Hope you and yours are doing well.
These collapsible stands fold down flat, so easy to move. They are available through Bi-Mart, and were about forty bucks apiece.
Measure out the centers for the holes, and run a hole saw, I used a two inch cutter, but you can drill a few larger diameter holes for larger rod tubes.
Best, Thomas

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

I don’t have quite as many rods as some do(9 fly rods and one bamboo spinning rod at last count), but an umbrella stand works nicely if you don’t require the tubes to sit in individual slots.

Southbranch
Master Guide

Post by Southbranch »

Flyman615 wrote:
12/13/20 11:25
Some of us have constructed this utilitarian and sturdy rod tube rack from two antique soda bottle crates and find it very useful and practical.

Scott
This design holds 24 rod tubes. I've seen the soda bottle crates priced from $10 to $45 at flea markets and antique malls. Most are in somewhat rough condition. I finally found 2 crates in good shape for low money and have boards for the legs, so all I need now is a little motivation to build it. I thought someone posted detailed instructions here too.

5strips
Sport

Post by 5strips »

Hello all,
I wanted to +1 on the folding shelf rod rack
I saw this thread, and decided to give it a try to clean up the cardboard box of rods in the closet.

Thanks for the great suggestion

A couple observations:
Get good hole saw blades. I started with a saw kit that came from a discount tool store. It was a pain.
Quality pays for itself

The shelves disassemble and you can stack the shelves to drill.
A drill press makes for an easy process, quality saw blades give you the depth to cut both shelves at the same time
Thank you
Kevin

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Southbranch wrote:
12/24/20 15:09
Flyman615 wrote:
12/13/20 11:25

Scott
This design holds 24 rod tubes. I've seen the soda bottle crates priced from $10 to $45 at flea markets and antique malls. Most are in somewhat rough condition. I finally found 2 crates in good shape for low money and have boards for the legs, so all I need now is a little motivation to build it. I thought someone posted detailed instructions here too.
It was my post. I just used 1"x4" pine for the legs. They were attached using dry wall screws.
The bottom of the top crate was bored with a 2 to 2 1/2" hole saw depending on the size/diameter of rod tubes you want to accommodate.

I chose to stain the legs and then use polyurethane to seal the entire unit. Hope this helps!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

A wood umbrella stand on the auction site for $50...repurposed for a tube holder is not a bad solution. It's cheap, no sweat equity, and it works. Has a nine hole square grid on top of frame with a drip pan below that holds the tubes nicely.

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

I found that a curio cabinet works good for me. This one is able to hold 18 rods in their tubes. It is 1/2 deep with a mirror back which makes it look like more. Looks nice in the house too, I got it used for $35. If you look close, you'll see I also put in thermometer and hooks to occasionally use it as a drying box for newly varnished rods I'm working on; just take out the stored rods, add a 75-100W bulb on the bottom and 80 degrees achieved in an hour.

David

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

MKA wrote:
12/30/20 07:39
A wood umbrella stand on the auction site for $50...repurposed for a tube holder is not a bad solution. It's cheap, no sweat equity, and it works. Has a nine hole square grid on top of frame with a drip pan below that holds the tubes nicely.

That looks to be a nice Arts & Crafts (Mission) era piece. Since I also collect Arts & Crafts furniture, I have one too. But it still holds umbrellas!

Scott
Flyman615

Melodious_Thunk
Guide

Post by Melodious_Thunk »

I have re purposed two items for rods / gear. The first is an old hat/coat rack and umbrella holder ( I assume ) which holds the overflow from the second, which WAS a baby changing station. About thirty minutes with the drill and voila..........It isn't pretty but it does the job. According to my wife, what once was effective at holding sh*t.....AGAIN, holds more sh*t......

" Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike " - John Muir, Travels in Alaska

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

Flyman615 wrote:
12/30/20 17:21
MKA wrote:
12/30/20 07:39

That looks to be a nice Arts & Crafts (Mission) era piece. Since I also collect Arts & Crafts furniture, I have one too. But it still holds umbrellas!

Scott
You're right, they should hold umbrellas:) and I do have one stuck in there, but that's all...not much need for them here in high desert country.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

It's a nice coincidence that this thread has appeared just now. I don't "collect" rods, in the sense that I want to acquire representative examples of particular classes of rods--e.g., rods of a certain era, or rods by a certain maker. But I do accumulate them. My accumulation has built up in a corner of a closet until it has gotten a little out of hand, so I had been thinking about getting a rack for them.

Looking on the Internet for a suitable rack, I found a website for David Anderson (http://niceflyrodrack.com/), who makes pretty racks. But he's out of service for a couple of months recovering from having an aftermarket knee installed. Also, I saw the post above by Gary (gto5254), whose racks look beautiful.

Although my craftsmanship is not nearly as nice as theirs, my rack will live in the corner in the closet, so it doesn't need to be beautiful furniture. I have the tools I need to build one myself to my exact needs. For about $150 in materials, I began my project. I'm about half done now, and I'll post pictures of the finished product.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

All done!

There's a saying that an expert is someone who has made every possible mistake in his field. I'm sure I haven't made them all, but fabricating this rod rack gave ample opportunity to make some. It was a learning process, and if I ever made another one it would be better, But I won't. Every time I finish a woodworking project with all my fingers intact, I breathe a sigh of relief.

First picture: the mess before the rack.

Second picture: the finished rack.

Third picture: organized rods.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”