Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

Post by Flyman615 »

As we all know, the venerable Orvis Company has probably produced more bamboo fly rods over the years than any other entity. Although literally tens of thousands of Orvis rods cover the gamut of lengths, weights and tapers, they also made rods that are comparatively rare or at least very scarce. Let's show and discuss such rods.

I'll start out with a lovely little 6'6" Orvis Battenkill DeLuxe made in 1955. It weighs but 2 oz., has a #11 ferrule and throws a 4 wt. line. It just might be my perfect "brookie" rod. Note the optional wood reel seat with dual sliding bands and the tiny 4 1/4" Superfine grip.

Looking forward to more such examples!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

Post by Flyman615 »

OK, maybe I'll keep this thread going in the interim.

In the early 1960s Orvis introduced a pack rod known as the Traveler. It was made only in 8, 8 1/2 and 9 ft. versions and a relative few have surfaced. All were 4/1 rods. Most had bright ferrules.

Here's an 8 1/2 ft. 6/7 wt. Traveler that I found to be handy and very useful on a trip to Alaska a few years ago.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Scott, thank you for starting this topic. I believe that the Orvis Pack Rod qualifies as it appears that about 50 were made.

I can't say it any better, so to quote the late Chris Lloyd from an April 2011 post: "The Orvis Pack Rod was first offered in their '72 catalog. Another short travel rod, this 7', 4pc. HDG (6WF) , broke down to under 18" in over-all length. This model was a clear evolutionary link between the short, but heavy Traveler, the lighter but longer Rocky Mountain and the later, final travel rod Orvis developed. By '72 there was an increasing demand by the traveling fisherman for ever lighter line-weight rods but with the ease of fitting into briefcase-size packages. The Orvis bamboo Pack Rod rod was offered with the standard walnut and locking aluminum reel seat hardware or optional all-cork superfine-style seat with two sliding rings and cigar grip to reduce overall rod weight. This Pack Rod was discontinued after the '75 catalog with possibly only around 50 of these actually produced. By the end of '75, Orvis realized there was a demand for these short, multi-piece travel rods but by now the light-line craze was in full swing." A fly & spin model continued to be available a bit longer.

Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/29/21 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks for the mention and pictures of the Orvis Pack rod! Now just to add a bit more mystery, here's what I feel may be a later prototype "Pack" made in the 1990s and perhaps an effort to return the "Pack" to the Orvis bamboo line-up.

This little 7'3" rod is 4/2 and made with all Orvis fittings and lighter cane as seen in that era--as well as bright ferrules. It is, however, unmarked. The translucent brown wraps are tipped gold and the late model d/l slide band reel seat has a tiger maple filler. Superfine profile grip. Throws a WF-5 wt. line very nicely!

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 12/20/20 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I have no idea* how many Seven/Fours were made, but from the numbers appearing in the used market it looks like it's a scarce model.

A 1978 built Seven/Four

* I could get an idea by browsing Greg's database :)

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

:popcorn
I'm looking forward to this thread's pics!

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Now we're on a roll!

There have been a few posts of late discussing the Orvis "Special" rods. Here's a 6'6", 2/1 from 1960. 2.6 oz., Superfine grip with unusual wide bands, characteristic red wraps, tartan bag and Super Z ferrules. Another nice, but scarce, 4 wt.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Cool sticks.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I don't own one, but here 'tis:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=23423

Jay Edwards

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

After WWII there was a shortage of quality cork, and as with the case of this Orvis Special, the Company turned to making some grips from a ground cork composite.

This rod is a well-used 7'0" 2/2 rod made in 1947. The down lock reel seat is marked "Makers--Charles F. Orvis Co. INC.--Manchester, Vt." The reel seat is aluminum and stainless steel with a synthetic filler. Interestingly, the cane is flamed and lightly varnished, not impregnated. Ferrules are #11 and bright. The action is medium-fast for a WF-5-F line.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

Not really unusual, but somewhat scarce is this 8' - 3 piece Battenkill from 1952. 16/10 ferrules, weighs 4.5 oz., and for my money, as nice an all around 5 weight as there is. Some good karma in that rod too, as seen this day a few years back stalking bank feeders on the Bow River.
Lee

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

^Great paddle on that bow! Love when they're leopards.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Hey Lee, I'm with you on the 4 1/2 oz. Orvis 8 ft. 3/2. Lots of folks seeking this particular rod and they are indeed VERY scarce. I prefer mine to the later 2/2 models.

Would you believe mine is also from 1952?! Too bad I didn't have it along the one and only time I fished the Bow. Nice river and nice fish--like yours!

Scott
Flyman615

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

Flyman - I've always loved the deep, rich color of the cane on this rod, and yours looks the same. So nice!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

We may have different opinions as to the definitions of scarce and very scarce. I counted 32 of the 8' 3/2 16/10 ferruled rods in just 1962. We can agree that the 8' 3/2 is a nice all around 5wt. Should I feel guilty that I once owned 2 at the same time? Strangely, the lighter cane is from an earlier rod while the seventies vintage rod has a longer grip and much darker cane.

Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/29/21 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Nice Joe!
Did you notice any difference in action between the two?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
12/21/20 16:53
We may have different opinions as to the definitions of scarce and very scarce.
I guess my suggestion that the Orvis 8'0", 3/2, 16/10 Battenkills are 'very scarce' is based on the lack of these rods on the secondary market--especially say when compared with the 4 1/8 and 4 3/8 oz. 2/2 Orvis rods. Those that have'em evidently keep'em! ;)

Scott
Flyman615

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Here's somewhat of an 'oddball' Orvis Trout rod. It's a 7 1/2 ft., 3-piece, 4 1/4 oz.

While it's obviously a Battenkill grade rod, the flat where that would normally be written is blank. Also, there are also no serial numbers and just one tip. The ferrules are 15/10 and the overall condition is near mint.

While I can detect no cosmetic or structural issues that would necessarily make this rod a "second", perhaps it was. In any case, It's also marked for a 7 wt. line. All I can say is, "I don't think so!" It's a DT-5 or WF-6 for this fly caster all the way.

In any case, how many 3-piece, 7 1/2 ft. Orvis Battenkills have you seen recently? Again, compared to the ubiquitous two-piece 7 1/2 ft. rods these are indeed...well, scarce!

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 12/21/20 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

I'll add a blonde 7' 3/2 4wt Battenkill (unmarked as such, but AKA Seven - Four, 7/4). From my research about 200 total 7/4 rods were sold over a more than 20 year run. I see very few blonde Orvis rods on the secondary market. Oddly, there is a later blonde rod in the vintageflytackle archives that is marked Seven Four and it also has slightly different reel seat hardware.

Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/29/21 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Great thread, Scott, thanks for starting it, and thanks to the others for sharing your rods.

I love the 3-piece Orvis rods, my favorite 8-footer is the 16/10 which I treat as the one to bring when going to the beach house in summer -- it will do spring creeks for trout, lakes and ponds for panfish and carp, light saltwater from the shore, truly versatile.

I also have a Battenkill 7-1/2' 15/10 3/2 from 1952, FWIW:

Merry Christmas,
Kenneth

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”