Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NEKexpat
Guide

Re: Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

Post by NEKexpat »

Anyone ever hear of Orvis "Christmas Special" rods? This is an excerpt from the 1950 Christmas catalog:

$27.50 when Battenkills and Manchesters were selling for $82.50 and $65.00

Could they have been Montague Orvises? Equinox?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

The grip on the Christmas Special sure looks like a Montague. I had not previously heard of them.

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Okay, thanks barnesspecial6...

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Here, I present an Orvis Seven Four Special built for (or by?) Howard Steere, longtime foreman of the Orvis Rod Shop. Some unusual features of this rod are the sliding band reel seat (same as that used on the LE 8' 3/2 - 4 1/8 oz bamboo and greenheart rods from 1977/78, but left in the white), the "Special" marking, unusual s/n, weight (due to reel seat configuration) and wrappings (tipping is the same color as the usual Orvis wrappings from the same period)

Since this is s/n H.S. 002, there must be another one out there somewhere!

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 02/17/22 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

I was thinking it’s probably the second bamboo rod made for Howard Steere to his specs. It would be interesting to find out what configuration 001 is/was, and if there are any more to follow. Didn’t he originate the Seven/three? Or maybe I’m confusing that with the UL graphites that he designed.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I never expected to find the first one of these, and this is my second!

1952 Battenkill Deluxe # 12806, 6'6", 2oz. 2/2. Has the slideband and aluminum cap over what looks like walnut or Spanish cedar, teardrop grip, snake stripper.

10/64 ferrule is actually about 9.8/64.

The database says it was built on 4/22/52 by the man himself, Wes Jordan.

it's a nice little 4 weight .

Last edited by Short Tip on 11/23/22 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Congratulations PK!!! You sure are a dog that can HUNT'm down!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

I just acquired this 1976 vintage Orvis MCL Midge. Greg's database doesn't show very many of this particular model and I haven't found many posts on this forum about it either. Interestingly, it appears that the 1977 model added 1/4 ounce somewhere (this is actually not true as Greg R points out in a later reply). S/N 79920.

Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 05/24/22 13:36, edited 2 times in total.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Short Tip wrote:
02/01/22 15:28

1952 Battenkill Deluxe # 12806, 6'6", 2oz. 2/2. Has the slideband and aluminum cap over what looks like walnut or Spanish cedar, teardrop grip, snake stripper.

Wow Paul! I haven't been checking this thread and just saw your post. Number 12806 was the 6th 6 1/2-foot, 10/64 Deluxe of the 54 produced.

You have too many nice rods... :)
Last edited by Greg Reynolds on 02/16/22 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
02/16/22 16:47
I just acquired this 1976 vintage Orvis MCL Midge. Greg's database doesn't show very many of this particular model and I haven't found many posts on this forum about it either. Interestingly, it appears that the 1977 model added 1/4 ounce somewhere.

Notice that the locking ring on the reel seat isn't pared with the typical sliding band. Orvis used this SL reel seat configuration on some MCL rods in 1976 & 1977. I don't why they did this, but they're my favorite Madisons. I like the stripped-down and spare aesthetic, and never cared for the extra band. Its purpose is to prevent reel foot binding, but I don't believe it's necessary.

Nice rod...

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Greg Reynolds wrote:
02/16/22 22:30
Notice that the locking ring on the reel seat isn't pared with the typical sliding band. Orvis used this SL reel seat configuration on some MCL rods in 1976 & 1977. I don't why they did this, but they're my favorite Madisons. I like the stripped-down and spare aesthetic, and never cared for the extra band. Its purpose is to prevent reel foot binding, but I don't believe it's necessary.

Nice rod...
Hmm, I just checked on a graphite 0477 Far and Fine that I recently sold and it also didn't have the extra band. Perhaps aluminum was very expensive for some reason at this time. Being a "commodity" might have been enough for big manufacturers to eliminate uneccesary excess? Can that locking ring ring really weigh 1/4 oz?

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Short Tip wrote:
02/01/22 15:28

Greg Reynolds wrote:
02/16/22 22:30
NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
I just acquired this 1976 vintage Orvis MCL Midge. Greg's database doesn't show very many of this particular model and I haven't found many posts on this forum about it either. Interestingly, it appears that the 1977 model added 1/4 ounce somewhere.

Nice rod...
My Madison Midge Kit Rod has the same reel seat

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
Joe,

I checked on this. The Madison-grade Midge with the walnut reel seat (3 5/8-oz) was cataloged through 1975. The MCL Midge (3 1/4-oz) replaced it in 1976 and was made though 1984 when the taper was dropped. The MCL variant was listed at 3 1/4-oz with or without the sliding band.

Regards...

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

VanfromMaine wrote:
02/17/22 10:06
My Madison Midge Kit Rod has the same reel seat
Thanks for posting this Van. I didn't know.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Greg Reynolds wrote:
02/17/22 20:51
NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
Joe,

I checked on this. The Madison-grade Midge with the walnut reel seat (3 5/8-oz) was cataloged through 1975. The MCL Midge (3 1/4-oz) replaced it in 1976 and was made though 1984 when the taper was dropped. The MCL variant was listed at 3 1/4-oz with or without the sliding band.

Regards...
Greg,

You are absolutely correct. I should have turned the page! It was the MCL version of the ubiquitous 3 7/8 oz rod that was listed at 3 1/2 oz. Duh! Thank you for the correcting my error. The late introduction of the MCL version may also explain why so few show up in your great database.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 04/29/22 08:59, edited 2 times in total.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I go cross-eyed reading the catalogs and the database too...

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

The owner of what I believe to be a unique Orvis rod contacted me recently. Per Orvis customer service, "Wes Jordan" #83885 was completed on 1/28/80 by Ron White. What makes it special is that it's built on the 6 1/2-foot, 11/64, 2 7/8-oz, fast-action taper only available in Battenkill and Madison grades from 1971 through 1977. The standard rods had "Superfine" grips and either walnut or cork SL reel seats depending on the grade and year.

I believe Mr. Cary, the original owner, wanted the out-of-production taper and had the Manchester rod shop build it as a Wes Jordan grade rod. They most likely took a NOS blank from inventory to make the rod.

Thank-you to the owner who provided the photos and allowed me to share them here.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Greg,

Thank you for sharing the unique Wes Jordan rod. I recently found a Seven - Three with the same reel seat hadware and filler as my Seven - Four Special on a dealer's site, but it had already sold. Perhaps a forum member picked ut up and can add it it this thread?

Cheers,
Joe

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I was recently contacted by the owner of an interesting Orvis fly rod. Traveler #29618 is an 8-foot, 4 7/8-oz, 4-piece rod completed in April 1961, making it the earliest of its type I'm aware of:

The Traveler series of three models was introduced in 1962 and cataloged through 1965, and Orvis used the same ad copy and photo for all 4 catalogs:

Being a niche model, few were made and they're all scarce on the secondary market. Eleven 8-foot, ten 8 1/2-foot and four 9-foot examples are on the database, and I have photos of a number of them.

Orvis typically started producing new models later in the year to build inventory prior to their introduction in the annual catalogs. Because of its very early production date and atypical features, I suspect Traveler #29618 was a development rod or had another special purpose. What sets it apart from others of its type made after about August 1961, is that it's marked as a "Battenkill" and is fitted with a winding check. The inscriptions are original, the handwriting being consistent with other rods in the same serial number range. Regular production rods are marked "Traveler" and have no winding check, although the catalog photo shows the rods fitted with them.

The owner pointed out another interesting inconsistency--the case label is marked "17-13-9", while the catalog states the ferrule size as 18-13-9:

I initially thought the label had a typo, but found the case labels for 8-foot Travelers #31657 & #31659 completed in early 1962 are also marked "17-13-9":

I can't support it without a rod to measure, but I believe they likely all had 17/64, 13/64 & 9/64 ferrules and the catalog description is in error.

Traveler #29618 is a seriously collectable Orvis rod in beautiful condition. A few wraps have been overcoated or replaced in the field; and a male ferrule has been overcoated with varnish (gone milky) or perhaps replaced. While clean, the profile of the grip is consistent with others of the period and I believe it's original. Whatever repairs have been made; the rod is in its correct format.

Thanks to the owner who allowed me to post his photos,

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
04/28/22 22:53

Traveler #29618 is a seriously collectable Orvis rod in beautiful condition. A few wraps have been overcoated or replaced in the field; and a male ferrule has been overcoated with varnish (gone milky) or perhaps replaced. While clean, the profile of the grip is consistent with others of the period and I believe it's original. Whatever repairs have been made; the rod is in its correct format.

Thanks to the owner who allowed me to post his photos,
I was wondering if it would wind up here after the auction ended! I put a lowball bid on it, but thought it would go for a lot more honestly.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”