McHarg (MacHarg) flies, late 1800’s

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Mike N
Master Guide

McHarg (MacHarg) flies, late 1800’s

Post by Mike N »

J.B. McHarg started his tackle business at the age of 27 in 1850 in upstate New York. He used several trademark logos including a bird dog looking back, a stag (like Hartford insurance), and a fox with a fish in its mouth.

Here are 4 slight variations for McHarg flies envelopes from the mid to late 1800s, top to bottom:

1. Black ink, stag logo, standard trout flies. “Tied on best needle pointed spring steel sproat hooks...All are warranted.”

2. Red ink, fox logo, “Tied on best needle pointed spring steel sproat hooks...All are warranted.”

3. Red ink, fox logo, “Tied on best needle pointed spring steel sproat hooks.” [no warranty language]

4. Red ink, fox logo, “Tied on Harrisons needled pointed spring steel sproat hooks...All are warranted.”

[click on photo to enlarge]

Last edited by Mike N on 05/16/22 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Mike N
Master Guide

Re: McHarg flies, late 1800’s

Post by Mike N »

Bob Jones- NFLCC- NY, shared this 5th version of a McHarg envelope with me. It has both the stag and the fox as well as “John B. McHarg’s Best Reversed Wing Trout Flies.”

(Tap on photo to enlarge)

Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

drbaits
Master Guide

Post by drbaits »

Makes a great and historic display, Mike ! Looks like you have your work cut out for you to surround the hooks with spinners and spoons!

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Very nice Mike !

Love Bob's collection as well. I've been able to see it a few times at shows and its very impressive.

Dean.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, John and Dean. I was just sent a photo by collector Merrick Burr with two more McHarg envelope variations: a red ink Stag, and a black print envelope stag with early typeface.

Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, our friend Bill Kennedy sends me these McHarg fly envelopes with a blue and a white background. Just such great vintage fishing items..

Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Great stuff.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Way to go Mike !

Dean.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

You know, I miss the great NFLCC meets out here in North Hollywood. It was an active bunch, including Phil Snyder and Art Warner, holding down the fine bamboo fly rod table. Reel expert Terry Ow was always there, Dave Holloman who bought the Payne company, and lots of interesting characters...some sorta uptight and odd to be honest about it. Collecting (of anything) seems to bring out the oddballs, eh?

But I used to find all kinds of good fly stuff, since most guys were plug men, saltwater gear (bone jigs, Zane Grey and Kovalasky reels). Guys knew I was a fly gear man, so they'd hold things for me. Sometimes a public person would walk in with something good -- the table nearest the door was the prime spot.

One time a gent showed up up with the most amazing post-war spinning gear anyone had seen: steel rods and Bakelite everywhere, all the great Midcentury colors, and all in EX shape. Beautiful display on his table. I have to wonder how many silk lines were stripped off and discarded by the guys who didn't know you could save them....

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Flykuni3 wrote:
05/03/22 23:34
You know, I miss the great NFLCC meets out here in North Hollywood. It was an active bunch, including Phil Snyder and Art Warner, holding down the fine bamboo fly rod table. Reel expert Terry Ow was always there, Dave Holloman who bought the Payne company, and lots of interesting characters...some sorta uptight and odd to be honest about it. Collecting (of anything) seems to bring out the oddballs, eh?

But I used to find all kinds of good fly stuff, since most guys were plug men, saltwater gear (bone jigs, Zane Grey and Kovalasky reels). Guys knew I was a fly gear man, so they'd hold things for me. Sometimes a public person would walk in with something good -- the table nearest the door was the prime spot.

One time a gent showed up up with the most amazing post-war spinning gear anyone had seen: steel rods and Bakelite everywhere, all the great Midcentury colors, and all in EX shape. Beautiful display on his table. I have to wonder how many silk lines were stripped off and discarded by the guys who didn't know you could save them....
Great memories. Terry Ow is still active and I got to hang out with him at the ORCA nationals in San Diego last year. The collections were incredible. You should try to get to an FATC Daytona show. Dean Smith, Dr. John Elder, Ron Gast and many others always make that a fun show to attend.
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Well, it took me over a year, but today I was finally able to acquire the blue McHarg stag envelope and the white background envelope shown below. I had to trade an early rectangular Orvis fly box, some early carded Orvis flies and a bit of McHarg metal and ephemera, but it was worth it to me.

Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Here are some McHarg flies to ad to the show. In the last picture, are those 6 envelopes in any way McHarg related? They say made in England?

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

The stag looks very different than labels on McHarg's flies.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

I knew I had this one but didn't know what box it was in. I guess we have been spelling MacHarg wrong.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

on closer look now I'm wondering if any of these flies below are MacHarg? I assumed they were, but on close inspection I agree with crowebeetle the stag is different. Even the spelling of McHarg or MacHarg varies on different envelopes in this thread. You can own something for years and never really take a good look at it. I'm open to opinions or explanations for the spelling discrepancies. If the company name can be spelled two different ways it's not a stretch to think different stag likenesses could have been used.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

No, we are not spelling McHarg, incorrectly. Here is the stamp on his metal spoons.

(Click on image to enlarge)

I fear the “MacHarg”spelling and the less stately “smiling” stag etching signify early 1900 knock-offs, likely from across the pond.
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Mike N wrote:
05/05/22 23:43
No, we are not spelling McHarg, incorrectly. Here is the stamp on his metal spoons.

(Click on image to enlarge)

I fear the “MacHarg”spelling and the less stately “smiling” stag etching signify early 1900 knock-offs, likely from across the pond.
Mike N, you might have something there. I would like to see other examples of this "funny business". The "Superior" flies on the torn up cards and the 6 envelopes with the funny looking stag I questioned as someone innocently using similar packaging.(not really even that similar) The J.B. Mac Harg bass fly with McHarg trademark Fox and fish is clearly an example copyright infringement if McHarg legally made this logo his trademark. Thanks for the help.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Mike, You are probably aware that J.B.McHarg Co. made or at least marketed cane fly rods under the company name?

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Also, note the correct spelling of McHarg in this obituary published in The Daily Sentinal, (Rome, NY) of 19 August 1927 (originally posted by cwfly).

Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Mike N you had me sold on the correct McHarg spelling with the stamped spoons. The Bass Fly on the card with the Mac Harg spelling with the Fox and fish logo still has me scratching my head. That is the McHarg Fox and Fish logo. Goodness, It's pretty bold to knock off someone else's packaging in this manner especially with the name spelling being that close. I would just like to know the whole story. Is it just a bold knock off? Patients and trade mark law were in place at that time. ??

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”