Where are they?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

wineslob
Master Guide

Where are they?

Post by wineslob »

I"ve been reading the Nick Karas book Brook Trout. It's an absolutely fascinating book, the sheer amount of history and information regarding the East Coast and fishing for brook trout is impressive.
But it begged a question in my mind. Where is all the tackle? Considering the thousands and thousands (if not more) of fishermen and women with the required outfitters and subsequent clubs that showed up, they literally inundated the forests, lakes and rivers in and around the New York area beginning in the early 1800's. Until the "demise" of the local, and some not so local, streams and rivers around the 1900's (teens), it was a huge industry. However, we really don't see many rods, reels, etc. showing up here and elsewhere for sale, date-wise, prior to the 1890's. That got me thinking, what happened to it all? Maybe it was just very disposable?

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: Where are they?

Post by DaveNJ »

I live in the northeast and had a year or two where I really tried to comb through all sorts of sources looking for old Paynes, Leonards, etc.... my guess is that most of it was thrown out. When you go to estate sales or thrift shops most of the fishing tackle is leaning in a corner in a sad teepee of discarded parts and neglect. Like most things I'd bet the people who owned them or inherited them just didn't think they would be worth anything.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Its out there and there is plenty!

Good stuff is always good!

Tom

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I agree with Tom, that there's a lot of it still out there. I don't envision them as all fishing dry flies on Leonards, though. Of the 76 million Americans fishing in 1900, for example, what percentage were anglers? How many of those were fly anglers for trout? And what tiny number fished anything but wet flies, a technique that didn't necessitate the use of Leonards & Kosmics?

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

I think what I'm really thinking of are the rods, reels etc. from the early to mid 1800's (possibly mid/late 1700's/ Daniel Webster's "Devil Trout" period?) and, no, not necessarily fly rods but still wooden. Most fishing was done from boats/canoes. We see examples here and there but not much else.

Return to “General discussion”