Favourite whisky or whiskey

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

wineslob
Master Guide

Re: Favourite whisky or whiskey

Post by wineslob »

owenscaddis wrote:
01/26/21 23:24
Paul- Life is too short to drink cheap whisky and only fish with plastic rods. I have a treat for you on our next trip.

On a vacation to the Dark Continent a couple of years ago we decided to break the flight up and spent a couple of days in Edinburgh on the return. A visit to a whiskey bar opened my eyes to the different styles of scotch. Since then, I have been slowly sampling scotches from different regions. Some standouts are Lagavulin 16 y or Laphroaig quarter cask for peaty scotches and Aberfeldy 18 y for non-peaty.
Try Ardbeg. Darn good but, WOW, smoky.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

My family comes from Scotland, but I favor Irish spirits which I find to be smoother.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

"It was a woman who drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her." WC Fields

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

Hellmtflies wrote:
01/27/21 09:35
I don't know how your folks can drink that stuff. To me it smells like rod varnish. :)
More like rod varnish thinner. :lol :lol :lol :lol
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

Lagavulin, Laphraoig, Bowmore. All smoky, peaty Islay malts.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

owenscaddis wrote:
01/26/21 23:24
Paul- Life is too short to drink cheap whisky and only fish with plastic rods. I have a treat for you on our next trip.

On a vacation to the Dark Continent a couple of years ago we decided to break the flight up and spent a couple of days in Edinburgh on the return. A visit to a whiskey bar opened my eyes to the different styles of scotch. Since then, I have been slowly sampling scotches from different regions. Some standouts are Lagavulin 16 y or Laphroaig quarter cask for peaty scotches and Aberfeldy 18 y for non-peaty.
We'd get along very, very well. I'll add a liking to Macallan 15 yr and to vary it up a bit the Redbreast 15 is always handy...

Don't get the wrong idea tho, a bottle of the mentioned Scotches will last me all year...well, most years. It needs to be just the right time!

Jeremy.

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

Some years ago, my wife and I spent a couple of weeks touring around Scotland. We included a tour of the Macallan distillery, which was extremely interesting in itself. The tour ended at the tasting room, where we were treated to samples of several of Macallan's varieties. One special one was a 25-year-old Fine Oak, which I don't believe Macallan even offers now, at least in the US. I thought it was nectar, and my wife, who pretty much hates whisky, actually liked it. It was on the other end of the spectrum from the smoky/peaty whiskies. And it was for sale in their shop. Alas, $$$.

We also enjoyed a couple of visits to in-town spirit stores, where the staff were particularly knowledgeable, friendly and willing to further educate a couple that clearly weren't local ("You're from the States, eh?).

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Dalwhinnie 15 year old

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I don't drink often, but when I do it's Four Roses Single Barrel or Four Roses Small Batch bourbon. It's a robust whiskey. None of that watered-down, thin, light-colored "clean" tasting mild stuff will do.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Dewar's White Label. a taste acquired many more years ago than I'd care to admit.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Mezcal. The more rustic the better. Best I ever had came out of a gas can in the back of a pickup made by an old Mescalero in the state of Oaxaca. Whiskey is hard to handle.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

The Glen Grant 18 years old is mine and my boys favourite.

When I lived in Alberta, Oban was on my favourite list. Every time I brought a bottle of Oban home, my neighbour (Carl from Manchester) would be there at my door. It was his favourite. We had some fine times.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Scotches, many favorites.
But if it’s Bourbon—Jefferson’s Ocean !

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Popcorn Suttons 3 grain heritage whiskey from a small pot still double distilled and tweaked with a bit of smoke flavoring. damn hard to beat!!

after finding the distilling subculture I am spoiled and packaged liquors just don't cut the cake anymore.

Happy to share with anyone who visits the cave, just don't plan on driving after.

saddlemaker
Sport

Post by saddlemaker »

Laphraoig is my all time favorite scotch, love that smoky peaty flavour. My wife tells me Laphraoig smells like wet cardboard, she is not a fan LOL.
Just had a customer give me a bottle of Oban and it is very nice!

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Smoothest whiskey I've ever had is Jameson Master Selection 18 year old. Don't tell anyone, but it's a blend.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

how do you pick a favorite? I had Macallan's 18 once and it was the nicest of all the whiskeys I've had. Years ago a fly tying friend from Scotland offered me some. I asked if it was smooth, to which he replied , " It's as if an angel has pissed upon your tonsils ."

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Post by Flyfishbill »

Scotch whiskey - Bunnahabhain 12
Bourbon - Weller Antique
Irish whiskey - Red Breast

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

Michter's. Everything they bottle is good.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”