Favorite "Blue Collar" Brands

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

oldatheart
Guide

Favorite "Blue Collar" Brands

Post by oldatheart »

For some reason, I've always loved the more accessible, commonplace rods of the 1930s-1960s (probably because I can afford them) and would like to get into building a collection. As I start looking at buying rods from time to time, I was curious what are some of your favorite "blue-collar" rods. In other words, which of the more affordable ($200-$600) rods are also great fishing rods that are decent quality? Montague? Heddon? South Bend? Older Orvis rods?

wineslob
Master Guide

Re: Favorite "Blue Collar" Brands

Post by wineslob »

For me the first two in your list followed by HI. It's pretty rare I spend more than $100 on any Blue Collar rods.

oldatheart
Guide

Post by oldatheart »

What's a good option in that price range of $200-$600? Granger rods maybe? Or Orvis?

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Heddon or Granger.

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

Phillipson. Varnished or impregnated - great tapers. Great quality.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I am partial to Granger rods. The history of the company inspires as do the casting qualities of the rods themselves. That caramel colored ammoniated cane is darn pretty too!

My rods are mostly Specials, a quality working man's grade rod that I am proud to fish.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

My favorite rod:

Heddon 8.5' Model 17 1 3/4F

Others I enjoy:

H-I 7' 9" Tonka Queen
H-I 7' Tonka Prince
SouthBend 8.5' 323 (E or HEH)
Granger 7.5' (7633) Special
Phillipson 8.5' Peerless Dry Fly Special

I don't really include Orvis as "Blue Collar", but I like this rod.
In fact, if I could only have 1 bamboo rod, this is the 1 I would keep
(even though it's not my "favorite").

8' Battenkill 4 3/8 oz (2-piece, #13 ferrule)

Enjoy the hunt!

Tight Lines- Ken

oldatheart
Guide

Post by oldatheart »

This is all great info, thanks! I particularly like the Granger rods myself and agree that Orvis rods aren't exactly "blue collar."

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

As Granger and Heddon prices have risen (and risen), they are no longer often priced "blue collar." And of course, the higher end models from these companies were arguably never "blue collar" (too nice and too expensive).

You might consider South Bend. You can easily find the most desirable models in that price range. The best South Bend tapers were designed by Wes Jordan before he moved over to Orvis and began designing and building rods that were also NOT blue collar.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

I am partial to the Heddons, in particular the two piece featherweights, both 8 ft with the 0F and 7’6 with the 0 3/4F. You can find good examples for under $600, but maybe not by much.
I believe Heddon moved into the modern taper era (and was the first company to do so) when they started these, probably influence by the casting advances popularized by Marvin Hedge and technological advances in lines and leaders. I don’t think you will find anything like them from other blue collar makers.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

I like Heddons and Grangers. The shorter Heddons (8' or less) are hard to beat. For longer I go with Granger.
Vern

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

oldatheart wrote:
02/09/21 13:26
What's a good option in that price range of $200-$600? Granger rods maybe? Or Orvis?
You might find an 8642 in a Stream and Lake grade or even a Victory in the under $400 range. I have a couple and they are excellent 5 wts.

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

For me, its the Phillipson rods. Great value for the money and personality too. Have a 7 1/2' Peerless Impregnated, 8' Pacemaker, 8 1/2' Dry Fly Special, and a 9' Paramount. Love them all!

David

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Wow, no South Bend choosers yet? Best kept secret if you like 8 1/2 footers...

poolhopping1
Guide

Post by poolhopping1 »

don't overlook the bristol f series rods. i've got an f 7 that is a sweet caster. thanks cris

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

A Heddon #14 is my favourite working mans rod. I inherited mine from my wife’s Grandfather who fished it for trout and salmon in the Gaspe to help feed his family during hard times there.There is still a set in the single surviving tip from landing hard fighting Red Trout, Atlantic’s and Ouananiche.

My early trout and salmon cane rods that I could afford as a kid, a student, and when I was in the military were English made by Sharpes, Partridge, and Constable. These are well made rods that are still a bargain and a pleasure to fish with. I’m still using them 55 years later.
Regards from the Restigouche where they still get a workout...Jim

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

My 8' H-I Canada Creek is a very respectable 5 weight. Impregnated 3 piece - 10 factory guides plus tip top. Light in hand and nice and crisp.
Along with my Tonka Queen, for the monetary outlay they are qualified "Blue Collar" performers.

DV8 - That picture is awe inspiring!

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

from the initial list, Heddon for me, although I also share barebo's sentiment about HI rods - some are very nicely finished, and fish well

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Webfly wrote:
02/09/21 17:56
Wow, no South Bend choosers yet? Best kept secret if you like 8 1/2 footers...
I'll back you up on that! I wouldn't trade my 8 1/2' SB 323 (HEH or E) for anything else in the same length, and I love 8642s. My only quibble with South Bends is the lousy glue they used for ferrules, cork, and seats- always dried out. That said, it's better than dealing with sticky Heddon varnish. ;)

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

Personally I like to sample rods from different makers. I would research all the vintage production "companies" and cherry pick the best from each.

If I truly wanted a collection of rods from one maker I would consider Heddon. They have more lengths and tapers to chose from than anyone else in that price range.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”