Favorite "Blue Collar" Brands

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

BigDog57
Sport

Re: Favorite "Blue Collar" Brands

Post by BigDog57 »

Phillipson

I'm partial to the Granger rods as well, but remember, Bill Phillipson actually ran the Granger rod manufacturing plant for the last 10 years. He developed most of the great Granger tapers of the mid to late 1930's. This includes the 8040, 8642, 7633, and 7030. All classics. Wright and McGill may have tweaked them a little (W&M rods seem just a little stiffer to my hand) but they were contractually required by Mrs. Granger when she sold to keep the rods the same.
I really had a love affair going with Granger until I discovered Phillipson. Bill Phillipson got the chance to further refine the rods he made under his own name. The result was IMHO some of the best rods ever made, and at Blue Collar prices. The lower grades cast as well as the higher grades for the most part. The only exception I've found is my 8'6" 5 oz. Premium, which is the best rod I've ever cast, bar none.

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

Here is a very late Phillipson 7’ Peerless 5. Seems to be minty and not refinished but does not display the traditional markings or wrappings. No reel foot marks. The tube label is 3M with Minneapolis address.

Despite being a near final offering, it is crisp and clean.

Not marked “Impregnated,” inking is wide, monochrome mellow yellow wraps. Inscribed with a tiny “171,” all cork butt with bronze colored rings and cap.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

fishugo wrote:
02/28/21 10:28
Here is a very late Phillipson 7’ Peerless 5...
I've never seen one of these. What a delightful rod... :)

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I'm a Winchester man myself. Mostly Edwards era rods, 1920-"24.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I guess the Orvis ad campaign still works to some extent, as guys are talking about rods from $200 to $600 and there are many Orvis rods in the middle to upper end of that range, even though their prices seem to have risen during the past year or two. A few years back a lot of them were going for $400 or so and Grangers were higher barring significant issues.

One of the reasons I like my Granger Specials is that you are getting the same quality rod as if you ponied up for a Registered grade rod. I don't know too much about the Heddons, though they have a lot of fans. The plastic reel seats bug me too, but then again so does bakelite on classic era Winstons. I have always loved figured wood, whether on a reel seat, a table or a gunstock.

I am surprised to see so many who are fans of HI rods. Everything I heard or read for decades seemed to be calling them junk. I have my grandfathers 9' 3/2 Hudson which I had refinished years ago. Its a big, slow rod but doesn't cast too bad if you adjust to the action. Not a dry fly rod certainly by most people's standards, though I fished dries with it. It does not have quality nickel silver ferrules and reel seat hardware, more like plated brass or something, but the cane itself seems to be carefully tapered and glued.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Mark,
I'd like to put my 8' 3/2 Canada Creek in your skilled hands for your evaluation. A while back I fished with a fellow that had a beautiful 8' Orvis Battenkill.
Upon lining the old H-I, I handed it to him and he in exchange handed me the Orvis. His reaction was something to the effect of (not a direct quote)
"wow, this is light in hand". I was surprised at the contrast between the 2. The reel choice likely had an effect as I had a Marquis 6 and he I believe had a St. George and the few ounces could play into it? However, the H-I is well balanced with the Marquis and is a nice "crisp" 5 weight - impregnated and well appointed with 5 snakes on the tips, 4 on the mid, and of course a stripper. It does in fact have the detractor in the tan plastic seat! The blank is nearly chocolate in color and well constructed and is pleasing to the eye.
As a rod in a blind test, it is very serviceable and a pleasure to fish.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Heddon and granger. Heddon if you like a faster action rod Granger for something more relaxed. You can still pick up some great fishing sticks for $100-300 add TLC and a few bucks in parts and have a dynamite rod. Don’t overlook the 9 footers.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

BigTJ wrote:
03/02/21 18:12
Heddon and granger. Heddon if you like a faster action rod Granger for something more relaxed. You can still pick up some great fishing sticks for $100-300 add TLC and a few bucks in parts and have a dynamite rod. Don’t overlook the 9 footers.
I largely echo these opinions/thoughts but will add that I am really starting to admire the variety Heddon produced in terms of tapers and models. I will also add that HI Tonka series has been a favorite of mine but you need to be careful with various models as tapers did vary quite considerably. For instance, I have observed (through hands-on repair/restoration of a number of rods) that the Tonka Queen came in at least 3 lengths including 7'7", 7'8" and the often assumed 7'9" variations. For me, the 7'7" is the sweetest stick followed closely by the 7'9", but the 7'8" felt dull and loggy (stiff) to me. And I've always wanted to try the 8' Canada Creek, but they seem quite rare.
Unfortunately, I have little experience with South Bend except for the 290 and 323 and have no experience with the Monty rods.

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

fishugo wrote:
02/28/21 10:28
Here is a very late Phillipson 7’ Peerless 5. Seems to be minty and not refinished but does not display the traditional markings or wrappings. No reel foot marks. The tube label is 3M with Minneapolis address.

Despite being a near final offering, it is crisp and clean.

Not marked “Impregnated,” inking is wide, monochrome mellow yellow wraps. Inscribed with a tiny “171,” all cork butt with bronze colored rings and cap.

Very nice looking Phillipson indeed. I have its 7 1/2' brother, sold by Bill Phillipson himself to the gentleman I bought it from, just before 3M took over operations. How does yours cast? David

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

Very nice looking Phillipson indeed. I have its 7 1/2' brother, sold by Bill Phillipson himself to the gentleman I bought it from, just before 3M took over operations. How does yours cast? David

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Sharpe's of Aberdeen made impregnated rods in their many iterations are great and easy on the pocket book. I love the 8' and less "Featherweight" series labeled for Farlow's, of which I have several, and the parabolic "88" etc are also great casting rods if you ascribe to such tapers. These fine rods have all the durability of a product from Orvis, from whom Sharpe's licensed the bakelite impregnation process they used, without the pricetag. Cortland sold "Featherweight" tapers as their "444" series; the 7' 5wt is truly a stellar little rod. Also the Lee Wulff rods etc were Sharpe' made. Simple, modestly appointed, very high quality, and eminently functional. The very definition of Blue Collar.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

EastslopesTH wrote:
03/03/21 12:44
BigTJ wrote:
03/02/21 18:12
I largely echo these opinions/thoughts but will add that I am really starting to admire the variety Heddon produced in terms of tapers and models. I will also add that HI Tonka series has been a favorite of mine but you need to be careful with various models as tapers did vary quite considerably. For instance, I have observed (through hands-on repair/restoration of a number of rods) that the Tonka Queen came in at least 3 lengths including 7'7", 7'8" and the often assumed 7'9" variations. For me, the 7'7" is the sweetest stick followed closely by the 7'9", but the 7'8" felt dull and loggy (stiff) to me. And I've always wanted to try the 8' Canada Creek, but they seem quite rare.
Unfortunately, I have little experience with South Bend except for the 290 and 323 and have no experience with the Monty rods.
Check out Customrodsmith.com Ray has two Canada Creeks listed

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Heddons, Edwards trade rods, and Phillipson.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Heddon & H&I
8' #20 1 1/2F
9' #10 2F
7' H&I Pocono

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

The rods listed on Customrodsmith are Cascades - those are 8 1/2' rods. The Canada Creek is an 8 footer. Cascades are nice rods though and in the upper end of H-I build quality. Impregnated as well.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Currently its Grangers. I have loved SB/Cross, Heddon and Orvis over the years as well. Hard to go wrong with any of them- all great rods/fishing tools. Cheers, Chris

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Yes I would be curious on how the HI 8'er casts but if you are talking about a price range up to $600 I would say a Granger 8642 is a big favorite of mine to fish out west. I've seen good examples in around the $500 range in fishable condition or less requiring a bit of restoration.
Last edited by EastslopesTH on 03/12/21 18:20, edited 2 times in total.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

I fish an Orvis contracted Montague impregnated rod most of the wintertime to toss nymphs in less than ideal weather. The grips are ugly but the rods are indeed bullet proof. Going rate for an 8 1/2’ around $300

Mr. Conductor

Post by Mr. Conductor »

I do like the South Bend rods. I have the following,

9’ 59
8.5 346
9’ 346
9’ cross 166
290 that I picked up this weekend that was gathering dust in an old tube in an Antique shop. Cleaned it up and fixed a wrap or two and already caught several bass and bluegill yesterday. Only wanted 35.00 for it and I couldn’t give it to them fast enough.

I love em all. I’ll also say the Bristol f-7 I had was a great rod as well
Last edited by Mr. Conductor on 03/14/21 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Lanny
Sport

Post by Lanny »

snorider wrote:
03/03/21 15:30
Sharpe's of Aberdeen made impregnated rods in their many iterations are great and easy on the pocket book. I love the 8' and less "Featherweight" ... the 7' 5wt is truly a stellar little rod.
I also own a 7'6" Featherweight. I agree completely, fantastic casting rod, very affordable.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”