Favorite "Blue Collar" Brands

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

salmonid1
Guide

Re: Favorite "Blue Collar" Brands

Post by salmonid1 »

Granger, Granger and Granger !!!!!!

Dr_Don
Sport

Post by Dr_Don »

BigTJ wrote:
03/02/21 18:12
Heddon and granger. Heddon if you like a faster action rod Granger for something more relaxed. You can still pick up some great fishing sticks for $100-300 add TLC and a few bucks in parts and have a dynamite rod. Don’t overlook the 9 footers.
Haven't fished the Grangers (yet) but definitely agree on the Heddon/Heddon trade rods. I'm pretty new to this, but over the past year I've picked up the following rods - none exceeded $300:

Heddon 35 Deluxe - 9' 3/2
L&C Regent (equiv. to #20 Bill Stanley) - 9' 3/2
L&C Imperial (equiv. to #17 Black Beauty) - 8-1/2 3/2
Heddon 14 Featherweight 8' - 0F 2/1
Heddon 10 - 9' 3/2

My two favorites are the Regent and the #14 Featherweight, but they all cast a nice line. Totally agree with BigTJ that folks should not overlook the nine-footers when it comes to nice, serviceable rods at a blue collar price.

My two cents -
Don

Gnarl78

Post by Gnarl78 »

I have a South Bend Model 290 and a Model 291 travel pack rod both at 7’6” that I like to fish that fall into the category. Also some longer Grangers and Phillipsons - nice tapers, very fishable.

Gnarl78

Post by Gnarl78 »

BigDog57 wrote:
02/18/21 13:48
Phillipson

I'm partial to the Granger rods as well, but remember, Bill Phillipson actually ran the Granger rod manufacturing plant for the last 10 years. He developed most of the great Granger tapers of the mid to late 1930's. This includes the 8040, 8642, 7633, and 7030. All classics. Wright and McGill may have tweaked them a little (W&M rods seem just a little stiffer to my hand) but they were contractually required by Mrs. Granger when she sold to keep the rods the same.
I really had a love affair going with Granger until I discovered Phillipson. Bill Phillipson got the chance to further refine the rods he made under his own name. The result was IMHO some of the best rods ever made, and at Blue Collar prices. The lower grades cast as well as the higher grades for the most part. The only exception I've found is my 8'6" 5 oz. Premium, which is the best rod I've ever cast, bar none.
I have the 9’ Premium. Nice casting rod

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Sewell N. Duntons Just because those were the first ones I learned to fish with and they were made here in Greenfield,Ma and I use to go to the factory with my uncle. Unfortunately,my aunt sold all of his rods when she became a lottery scratch ticket addict. wishin to be fishin',Chet

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I have a friend that has been in the rod building business for over 50 years and has a tremendous knowledge base. He refuses to touch a computer!
He told me that Sewell N. Dunton produced rods for Montgomery Wards and that some of them are "sleepers" - fine rods that can be had fpr little money due to the association with a department store.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

salmonid1 wrote:
03/13/21 19:34
Granger, Granger and Granger !!!!!!
Of course, I agree.

But a previous poster mentioned that Grangers Specials were made essentially the same as Granger Registered grade rods. Not true. While the tapers offered are mostly the same, the Registered rods exhibit much higher quality cane and the sections are made from the same culm. They also have higher quality cork in the grip, as well as more (stainless) guides on most tapers and the varnishing/finishing process was more complex; chrome plated ferrules, a hook keeper, unique wraps and fancier tubes and bags as well.

While the lower grade Granger Specials are nice work-a-day rods, they are simply not equivalent to the very scarce and much more expensive Registereds.

One other random thought...with so-called "blue collar" rods, you'll largely get exactly what you pay for. And in my almost 50-year experience, most $100-$250 rods aren't worth buying. You just can't equate a run-of-the-mill H-I or Monty, for example, with a Granger, Heddon or Orvis.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Scott,
You make a valid point regarding most rods in the "Bargain Basement" price range. There are however, a few respectable rods marketed by the mass production makers that will surprise even those who appreciate the finest offerings. This topic is one of those "what ever floats your boat" and I'd bet a lot of enjoyable hours spent and fish caught on a crappy old buggy whip weren't concerned about node orientation or nickel silver.
Having said that, you are respectfully 100% correct that the 3 you mentioned are far superior quality but I don't think that is what this is all about?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

No, but it's about categorizing and rating 'blue collar' rods.

My question remains, how many 'respectable rods marketed by the mass production makers' do you suppose someone has to cast or buy before being pleasantly 'surprised'? Just asking...

And in my experience, shorter is not always automatically better. I'm not saying they won't cast or catch fish, but I would advise any 'blue collar' rod buyer to be careful and very selective.

Back when I was learning to snow ski, I bought inexpensive skis. Pretty much a mistake since they didn't perform, even for a beginner. Lesson learned.

Scott ;)
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

That is sage advice Scott. What may be listed and described as a "beautiful vintage bamboo fly rod that will help you to catch many trout" has likely ended up being used once and tossed in a closet or the rafters in the garage. I suppose that I've been fortunate to have found a few decent production rods but have restored more than a few that were wall art. It was fun for me to learn the process of stripping an old rod and giving it a new life even if it never saw water. The market is flooded with a lot of rods that are plainly not very well suited to mount a reel on.

For someone delving into fishing bamboo with serious intent, doing some homework and investing in a respected maker - Granger, Orvis, Heddon, will no doubt elevate the experience. There is a however though: as you stated, shorter is not always better and some of the longer low end rods make fine streamer or wet fly rods if you find one that is well constructed and was taken proper care of.

Having said all that, I find myself wondering what the cut off dollar wise is for the blue collar designation? A nice 8' Orvis will be 4 times the cost of say a "Tonka Queen" by H-I which is a rod whose taper has been copied by some high end makers of fine quality rods.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

"Having said all that, I find myself wondering what the cut off dollar wise is for the blue collar designation? A nice 8' Orvis will be 4 times the cost of say a "Tonka Queen" by H-I which is a rod whose taper has been copied by some high end makers of fine quality rods."

I think that line has been moving downward over the last 20 some years. The more desirable blue-collar rods in the Heddon and Granger lineup have been steadily increasing in price.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Especially with the past year's huge bump-up in prices, following demand, any Heddon, Granger, or Orvis is well out of what I would consider "blue collar" range. A couple of years ago, I picked up mint two-tip Orvis 4 1/8 oz and Nymphs for $400 off ebay, and now average condition, single-tipped Battenkills in common tapers are listed (and seem to be selling) for at least a couple of hundred above that.
Mind you, most fishers out there buy $800 graphite rods as the standard, with good imported rods being in the $300-$400 range, so there's that.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Interesting.

I'm a cheapskate who likes nice things, so you can imagine how much drool I've lost over the years watching rods on sale that I wanted but couldn't afford, in that I'd set an upper limit of €400 (currently about $480, less when I was actively purchasing) on what I would pay, which is squarely in blue-collar territory. I did break that limit once or twice when resistance was futile, but by and large I was able to buy some pretty nice rods by being very patient, and sometimes through pure dumb luck.

I see from my records that I last bought a rod in 2013, which kinda surprised me, I didn't realize so many years had gone by!

FWIW, what Shrimpman and others have observed is also true in my case. I can tell you that among some rods that I would never be able to afford today would be practically all the Orvii, Phillipsons and Grangers that I regularly fish. Maybe it's time to start cashing in on my "investments"...Naaahh!

Kenneth

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

The various Sharpe’s permutations:

Seventy Nine
Eighty Three
Eighty Eight

Cortland 444

Green wrap Duracanes

Etc. the

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Got the Granger itch!!! Got lucky and got a Favorite 7633 on ebay with 3 tips that a guy miss advertised and it appeared to have short tips but he measured it incorrectly.Then I bought an 8040 with 1 tip , and today I received a 8642 Victory in beautful shape straight as an arrow.I know it was dished but I guess the guy never caught anything but itsy bitsy teeny weeny fish, no set whatsoever. I'm used to light rods,so the Favorite is sweet.but both the 8040 and 8642 are surprisingly light,too! And they cast sweeter than whip cream!

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

I should add that I fished my Sewell N. Dunton 7' 162 all day yesterday,As nice as any rod graphite or Granger!!!!!!!!!

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I consider the Grangers and the higher models of Heddon to be in a middle class, between the blue class brands and the high end rods. I really don’t think you can put these rods in the same class with the Montagues and the HI’s and such.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Isn't blue collar, middle class? Cheers,Chet

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

If blue-collar is middle class then what is low class?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

There no such thing as a low class fishin' pole,LOL

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”