The Blues...the electric blues...

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

The Blues...the electric blues...

Post by thegubster »

Given that I had to sell a wonderful handmade acoustic a number of years back due to severe elbow tendonitis issues (man that was a rough call!) the interest in the "blues " sound crept back into my life of late!

After listening to too many U-Toob renditions of some really catchy rythms I allowed myself to ponder the possibility that just maybe my carcass would tolerate some electric guitar efforts since the "pinch" on the strings is a good bit less... It took me awhile to decide and a lot of thinking but I finally relented and spent some of my "rod fund" on the necessary details to make it happen.

So far, so good after a short month and hope it holds! Whatever I'd learned 10 yrs back was long gone and it's a hard fight to get any back! I can't even whistle in tune and this isn't much better but I'm having a ball bitchin' about sore fingers again and the rythyms are super enjoyable.

12-bar blues. You have to begin at the beginning!!! I'm in it for the long haul!

A Carvin SH550 and a lovely Bugera tube amp.....Fun - but man, it's slow going! Best two-grand I've spent in a good while but that Hoffhine's guy is looming closer and closer... ;)

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Blues...the electric blues...

Post by bugslinger »

Nice looking axe! I used to play guitar waaay back.....got my right wrist fused in 2003. I can still read/play simple sheet music but that’s as far as I’ll get. But I’m big time into electric rhythm & blues! Our son’s name is Stevie Ray.....

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Bugslinger, you have my sympathies, you really do! I know how I felt with the issues I fought with that had me sell a truly wonderful acoustic. I'm not certain how long this will allow me to continue but at 70 yrs old I'm not going to let it stop me unless the obvious rears that ugly head again...we'll see.

I'm just too happy that I can still flail a fly rod!!! Life's good. You have my best regards!

Jeremy.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Your on a Mission from God Grubster

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Thanks Jeremy,
Not far behind you at 65.....keep on playing! We have had a lot of blues in our lifetime so far! With Covid there’s still more to come....da dum de dum.....uh how how how how!
Last edited by bugslinger on 02/25/21 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Rock on, young gubster.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

My guess is what you laid-in 10 years ago is still in there somewhere (10 years is a long time for chops). It could very well start to flow again once you break through the dam. Sometimes you have to knock it persistently, but not forcefully to knock off the rust. Just like casting once it's warm enough to no longer freeze your line.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Thanks all, your comments are truly appreciated, esp. being called "young".

Rob, you called it correctly. It's taken me a couple of weeks to settle down, still wondering if I made a smart choice but then as age has slowed me down I'm finding the slower I actually try, the better things begin to come back! I'm slowly moving along and the fun-factor builds. Slowly ... slowly!!

You have my email...

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Congratulations Jeremy,
I can’t wait to hear your efforts.
You are always surprising me with
your lust for life!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Gubster, enjoy! My greatest comfort over this past year of lock-down (besides my wife and my dog) has been my guitar corner.
I play guitar, and mostly steel (dobro), and pedal steel.

On guitar, Every little riff and double-stop, triad, single-note lead plinking phrase builds on like stacking Legos. Really good for my head.

And Pedal steel (I play E9, 10-string, 3 foot pedals, five knee levers) is like going down Alice in Wonderland rabbit hole of music theory. E9 pedal steel is the most ingenious steam punk music theory abacus-like contraption ever devised. Really fun and
Mind-blowing every day I sit down to it.
Enjoy your guitar!!!!!

Edit: and blues. Yes! I look forward to gigging again in the small town bars with my blues musician buddies. Been at it for almost 50 years, and no sign of my out-growing it!

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Brooks, being so experienced, you are on the opposite end of this music spectrum to me. I'm a total beginner, 1st grade-type!!

One of my biggest hurdles in this game was finding a guitar teacher/learning forum that would give really good help to a bunch of bluesy songs along with a varied bunch of other help and it would need to be very explicit and SLOW in their demos so a guy could pick things up. And driving 15 miles one way for a $30/30 min lesson each week would've made me never venture out or buy an instrument!!! A lot had to come together..

The internet helped there and I signed up w/a fellow who had everything I could ever ask for - found him totally by accident too! And at a measly $89 for a full years help it was a god-send!! I'm just beginning with the 12-bar-blues stuff....BASIC!

I'm thrilled!!!

Jan, please, oh please don't ever ask me to play anything. I freeze... it's awful! :( But man I love the blues sound!!! :D :D

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Gubster, I’m the eternal hack. But it’s so much fun noodling, and on occasion, putting a song together. Lately I’ve really enjoyed Acoustic Guitar magazine which has short lessons, from the most basic, to things like Joe Pass jazz chords. You might check it out.
And YouTube is amazing. You can literally type in “Albert Collins blues riffs” and there will be probably a dozen guys at least showing you some way to do an Albert riff without have to open tune and capo like Albert did. It’s amazing.
And did you know that you can slow YouTube down real slow, but the song stays in the same key?
Enjoy that guitar. And hang it up on the wall, that figured maple looks beautiful!

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Aw, come-on. Let me hear just a few cords? I want to know what kind of sound that beautiful guitar has... as well as that amp! Whoa...

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Peales wrote:
03/16/21 21:46
Aw, come-on. Let me hear just a few cords? I want to know what kind of sound that beautiful guitar has... as well as that amp! Whoa...
Gimme a while Jan, quite a while - but okay. ;D

And Brooks, thank you very much for that bit of info, esp. regarding slowing down You Tube, I never knew... I'll have to keep that in mind.

Just an FYI, the fellow I found on You Tube by jumping around runs the forum called Active Melody. It's remarkable in the manner he shows hot to play a selection. What you see in You Tube is the intro. to a song. Of course the detailed 2nd - and maybe other parts - require a sign-up to his site so he makes $$. But what I found is an unreal break-down of hundreds of songs in varied "genre's" (a new word for this boy!)showing his playing, explaining, detailing a song along with TAB that you can set to repeat along with watching him play in slo-mo etc. Hard to explain but it's unreal.

My only concern is my narrow preference for the Boogie-Woogie stuff and maybe some Rockabilly style. There's a good bit of that but I get selective... but that's my problem. There's still years to work thru...

BTW if, in your wandering around, if you come across something that fits the described bluesy stuff will you let me know and I'll give it a peek into? It needs to be pretty basic though just yet!

And that pretty-looking flamed maple guitar turned out to give me grief. Really bottom-heavy and I had to wear a strap that I really didn't care for. Long story short, I put her up for consignment along with that amp due to a "twangy" sound that I found not to my liking.

I bought a new Telecaster...same thing on my amp at home, too twangy so.....I took that back for a nice Strat. with noiseless pick-ups and added a better Fender amp to the tune of nearly having me eating cereal for the next 6 months but as I told my bride..."I'm not going to be buried with my money, so...". We'll leave it at that! :rollin I'm happy! It's a beautiful matched pair!!!

It's also much of the reason for my questioning if I "really" wanted to dabble into this music thingy ... it still worries me! I did a real "About Face!" here. Here's hoping. Thanks for all you've shared Brooks.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Nice sunburst strat! Looks like you’ve already got a good case of GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). It’s a rewarding malady.
I’ve got it bad.
Much like BRAS.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Brooks wrote:
03/17/21 21:57
Nice sunburst strat! Looks like you’ve already got a good case of GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). It’s a rewarding malady.
I’ve got it bad.
Much like BRAS.
Yeah, I'm already thinking of swapping some rods for some varied guitars. Not a good sign man... 8)

It'll be awhile though as I'm not too impetuous anymore. I've learned...!!

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Jeremy: Beautiful 6-string, love the sunburst. I'll have to listen to you play sometime

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

GerardH wrote:
03/19/21 17:56
Jeremy: Beautiful 6-string, love the sunburst. I'll have to listen to you play sometime
You'll be an elderly gentleman Herb, before I accomplish much.

And...we'll cast some first! :pipe Thanks muchly.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Jeremy, go man, GO! At 70 years old you deserve to enjoy an old passion returned. Don't ask why now; just play (and grin)! :)

Pat
P.S. And, if you decide to get rid of any old, beat up Payne's to fuel a new addiction, uh, PM me! :)

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

flyfishingpastor wrote:
03/19/21 22:43
Jeremy, go man, GO! At 70 years old you deserve to enjoy an old passion returned. Don't ask why now; just play (and grin)! :)

Pat
P.S. And, if you decide to get rid of any old, beat up Payne's to fuel a new addiction, uh, PM me! :)
Pat, you have a message...

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”