The Beast - Who made me?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

The Beast - Who made me?

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

The Beast was one of those purchases when the rod looks odd and you think someone made an error in the listing, so you take a chance and find out this is the one time the seller can actually use a tape measure.

The rod is a 12' 3/2 rod weighing in at 9.7 oz. Great wraps and ferrules, a Beaty patented reel seat, good fine silk wraps in excellent condition, great varnish, and cork. Ferrules are nickel silver, but the females are not water proofed. Odd grip shape. The rod came from out west. Pics below.

I have not a clue who made it and a Chubbague( Chubb Montague) just doesn't fit.

Previously known as bamboocollector11

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Re: The Beast - Who made me?

Post by EastslopesTH »

Well it has a rare Beaty reel seat-nice! If I recall Beaty did not make rods but IIRC the reel seat was contracted to Divine.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Well, you certainly did better than I with a 12 footer. Mine turned out to be a 16 footer with a missing section, so I hope to get one done someday. Nice score on the Beatty seat, and nice looking rod.

Jay Edwards

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Ed and Jay

The Paul Bunyan Rod Co also used the Beatty reel seat and is a possible maker of that rod. I have a Seven axemen presentation rod in the GTRS donated by the grandson of the Chancellor of the MSU in the 30's that has that seat.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Thanks for your inputs!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

jimmymac448

Post by jimmymac448 »

I jumped on this year old discussion to see if anyone has been able to identify the "Beast" shown in the inital post. The Beaty reel seat paired with the coke bottle style grip and the distinctive red wraps with black and white jasper silk tipping is definitely some maker's style. The rod shown at the start of this discussion is a 12', 3/2 piece model. I apparently have the little brother of the beast, with similar red wraps and black and white jasper tipping, but a 10', 3/2 piece rod with the Beaty reel seat. I'd post more pictures, but the rod looks just like the 12 footer "Bamboocollector#1 posted last year.

I recently refinished a H-I "Expert Bass Fly" 9' rod with similar very heavy bamboo sections, which sort of led me to think this might also be an H-I trade rod built or re-build with the very cool Beaty reel seat. I've read Sinclair's discussion in the Granger book on the origins of the Beaty reel seat, and hoped this rod is worth of further discussion and identification of the maker. I'll try and figure out how to get some pictures up later, but wanted to try and get a discussion going here.

Jim

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”