Bent face plate

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Palakona123
Guide

Bent face plate

Post by Palakona123 »

When playing around with my 3 3/8 perfect a while ago I noticed that the faceplate is slightly bent, and toutches down on one of the pawls.
I am thinking of bending it out by placing it between to blocks of wood, with the necessary holes drilled out, and press it with a screw clamp. Is that a good idea that would work, or should I just send it to somone that knows this better than me?

Godfroy
Master Guide

Re: Bent face plate

Post by Godfroy »

This usually happens when the reel is dropped or bumped on the end of the handle. In straightening it you want to reverse this force. I have done this successfully on a reel (also a 3 3/8 Perfect) that arrived like this from eBay.

In my experience you have to push it a little beyond flat in the opposite direction to the bend for it to set in the correct plane.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The method or technique described above is slow and steady going.
Much smarter than ways I have tried and failed.

Great advice.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

If it doesn’t work Bill Archuleta can fix it, he did amazing work fixing a badly bent perfect

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”