Anderson and Sons Dunkeld Princess Fly Rod Questions

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Tab

Anderson and Sons Dunkeld Princess Fly Rod Questions

Post by Tab »

Apologize in advance for the long post but wanted to include the info I had on this rod. I recently purchased an 4 piece Anderson & Sons Fly Rod. It came with a round wood holder that each section fit into a grove with individual slots for the eyelets. It also had the cloth/canvas like back that the wood holder fit into it for storage. At the bottom of the reel holder it reads Anderson & Sons in a downward arc and upward arc reads Edinburgh forming a circle around the word Princess. Below the circle there are 3 lines: 1st line reads "Dunkeld", 2nd line reads "Princess", 3rd line reads "9471" and not sure if that is a model or serial number code. At the top of the reel holder on the strap that has the stop(lack of a better term) it appears to have a serial number as well which reads "RD No 98653" The rod measures 8'11" with the stiffer tip and 9' with the more sensitive tip. Not sure why the more sensitive tip section is 1 " longer than the stiffer one. I looked over the rod tips very closely and looks original with no repairs on either end. Everything else looks original with all of the eyelets/wraps tight and nothing missing. I also was unable to find very much information on the Anderson and sons rods on the internet including brochures, pictures, sales, etc did find the below which at least identified the model as the Princess and tailored for women. I did find that the Anderson Rods are made of Greenheart which is a a tropical hardwood vs bamboo commonly used for fly rods. I would be curious if the wood holder is original or custom however either way it is excellent craftsmanship with all sections and eyelets fitting tightly. Any help identifying value, if common/rare, age of rod, what the 2 sets of numbers indicate, why top/tip section is 1 inch longer would be appreciated. I have also attached a few pictures which hopefully helps. I am a fairly new collector and concentrate primarily on Heddons but always looking for interesting Fly rods and for $24 thought this one would make a nice wall hanger.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Anderson and Sons Dunkeld Princess Fly Rod Questions

Post by kevinhaney1 »

They are very nice rods! Below are a couple of pics of mine. It came in a sock with no wooden holder and is serial number 197. Yours was probably a 9' rod with both tips reduced because of damage since the tip is pretty fragile. It is probably my prettiest rod and one that I use with a 4wt silk line.

The wooden holder is almost certainly original. I would guess that in the last picture, the number is a patent number for the metal strip part of the reel seat.

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Tab

Post by Tab »

Thanks Kevin for the response/ and very nice rods/reels and creel basket. The rod with the most sensitive tip attached is 9' and original length at 9". If you look at that tip and the stiffer one that is 1" shorter, looks like a decent repair but can tell the difference when looking side by side and really close (Picture attached). Any idea of age of mine. Searched again and can't find any information on the wood holder or cloth/canvas bag which would be a plus especially to help establish age and value. Hopefully someone else on the forum can add input as well. Thanks again. regards Tom

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I would put the age at 1890-95.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”